TTORA Forum banner

FEELER for parting out - '98 Tacoma

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Fox4Rnr 
#1 ·
OK been awhile since I've been on so bear with me....This just happened and I'm still a little shaken up and I've got a hundred other things going on also.

I just flipped my 1998 Tacoma on April 14 (yesterday)...Its totaled. Liability only (wasn't my DD, so no help from ins.). It got towed away and I suppose I have two options:

1. Sell it to a junkyard for pennies, really, or

2. Part it out to you all.

Now I wasn't going to even attempt to part it out, mainly cause I have no where to put it, but a friend of mine offered his place for me to keep it if its worth it to part out.

So here I am, extremely sad btw, but glad that my dog and I are alive and (relatively) unhurt. Below are a handful of pictures I took before it got towed. Hopefully there will be enough demand to make this worth it, but we'll see. Its my understanding that I will be paying a daily rate for storage wherever it got towed, so the sooner you all chime in and let me know its in my best interest to part it out (with requests), the sooner I can get it to my buddy's place and start this process.

I hope I did the pic posting thing OK....Here they are:

Here's a big one:

More thumbnails:

I am in St. Petersburg, FL 33706. Any shipping will be on you.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If I need to add anything to the post please let me know. As I said earlier, I haven't been on the forum in quite some time.

1998 Tacoma Ext Cab 2.7L 4WD 5-speed manual locking hubs, alcans in the rear, the rest is prob in the sig....any questions just ask.

Jason

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang, glad to see you and your dog made it out of that alright...:eek: I'd say its worth it to part out what you can and then sell the leftovers to the junk/scrap yard. That way you'll recover some of your loss. You could post a part-out listing on craigslist in your area to save on shipping with the bigger items.

#4 ·
Pm sent.

Tapatalk

#6 ·
damn, that's a mess.
glad you and yer pet survived.

Prolly shouldn't ask how this occurred... (curious tho')
But it sure makes me want to pony up for an internal roll cage, and now.

thought about a replacement the cab ?

Parting it out would be more profitable
then selling it for scrap to a salvage yard.
Tho' if you had to pay too much to store it somewhere...
that might make it a pita to do.

I know I wouldn't mind having the manual hubs and steering knuckles.
But shipping to the west coast would suck. :(

whatever yer direction... will wish you good luck

#7 ·
glad your alright, looks like that would have given you a heck of a headache. seems like the engine is still good(?). i would be interested in the bumper (shipping to 86004). if you were not on the other side of the country i would definitley pick up more (them are some nice wheels). if you do choose to part i am sure i could pick up some small items from you.

#8 ·
So plans might've changed...

TacoDell, you're absolutely right.

$201.50 impound fee, a $20 bribe to use a jack, and a Taco Bell dinner for me, my buddy and the lady at the impound office, and hours later we finally got the front DS wheel off. (Never, ever, EVER use a wheel lock unless you're OCD about keeping it with you at all times. Lost mine, thought it was in the glovebox....it wasn't) We got the spare on and believe it or not it was completely driveable. He drove it home, Ace Ventura style of course. Obviously the cab is way beyond repair, and that is the priority to get it truly road-worthy, but the frame and drive-line seem to be just fine. I don't even think the front DS tire/wheel combo is damaged, it just popped off the bead.

So TacoDell, you are correct, sir. All it *needs* is a new cab. I was sure it was gonna be a total wreck. It will require time and money and storage to fix it.

So at this juncture there are three main options:

1. Continue with the part-out, probably the most profitable for me, if there is enough interest,

2. Sell it as a whole to whomever would like a new project,

3. Do it myself. Something I was planning on doing in the future anyway when I had more dough. Hey when life gives you lemons....

I would be open to any suggestions. (Also, I need a job. BSME 2011 from Univ of South FL if anyone would like to network, or has any suggestions/employers to apply to. PM me)

Also, I suppose at this time, the post may be in the wrong folder. Mods you can chime in any time to move it. If I decide to go ahead full steam with the part out, I can start a new thread in the classifieds.

#9 ·
What ever you decide to do I'm first inline for the rear axle and front and rear diff

Tapatalk

#18 ·
OK

I've taken a couple of days and have decided that I am NOT going to part it out, but rather attempt to sell it, although I don't really want to do that either. Its in better condition than it looks. I had plans for the truck when I got a real job, but thats been on hold for quite awhile now.

Right now I just don't have the time or money to work on it or even garage it. (Another reason why I'm not going to part it out.) Its a second vehicle for me, and to be honest, I haven't even taken it offroad for quite sometime. Part of me feels like it would be better in someone else's possession. I will be posting it on here and on craigslist, but I'd rather it go to an enthusiast than some Pinellas Park *******.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will be making a new post in the Rigs/Trailers section.

Jason

ps Sorry to get all your hopes up for parts :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.