TTORA Forum banner

The 4x4 conversion (LOTS!! OF PICS!!)

14K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Kyota 
#1 · (Edited)
The 4x4 conversion Guide (LOTS!! OF PICS!!)

The 4x4 Conversion

First off I would like to thank every ttora member that has helped me with questions and also finding parts. Thank You!

Now onto the conversion. First off you need to know that this is NOT EASY! It will take a few days. I made this post so other people thinking about doing it will see what is involved. I did this swap on a 99 V6 extended cab Tacoma. Below I have a parts list make sure you have everything up front.

Parts:

A340F Transmission
Front Diff (make sure it is the same ratio as your rear) (with the mounts)
Front drive shaft
Rear Drive Shaft
Left and right CV’s with end bolts
Front spindles/Hubs
4x4 shifter boot
A340F transmission mount (prerunner one wont work)
11qt ATF
Vacuum tank
Vacuum Tubing and 4x4 solinoids

Tools:

2 18” ratchet extentions
A 3/8 knuckle
Various extentions
Impact gun (if you don’t have one, harbor and freight sells a 18v cordless for $49. You will be happy you have it)
10mm-19mm shokets
Prybars
Jack (2 will make life a lot easier)
And other basic tools

Part One: Transmission swap

Disconnect your battery

Remove the console

Undo the bolts holding the shifter assembly down, and disconnect the electrical connection

Once you have the shifter out undo the rubber. Notice the oval, trim that out.

Once the oval is trimmed out it should look like this

Now place your rubber 4x4 boot/seal in. That’s it for the shifter.

Now remove the Drive shaft

Now remove the front skid plate

Remove the Flywheel inspection plate

Remove the six bolts on the flywheel, You will need a wrench on the crank pully to rotate the motor to gain access to all six bolts.

Undo the crossmember bolts, make sure you disconnected the 02 sensor conection. (make sure you have a jack under the transmission!)

Undo all electrical connections

Disconnect the started wires, and remove the starter

Disconnect the ATF lines

Now you are going to have to remove the bell housing bolts, this is where all the extentions come into play, there is also on bolt that is bolted to the bottom of the header… mine broke when I was taking it of… oops

Here is the layout of the bolts, so you know what your looking for. Make sure you have another jack under the bell housing. If you only have one jack, place a flat piece of wood under the transmission pan and place the jack under there.

NO picture for this step but you need to carefully remove the 2WD tranny. Then get the A340F tranny and slide it under the truck. Carefully lift it onto the two jacks.

I used a cherry picker the hold the rear of the A340F up

Now its time to jack up the new A340F transmission. Make sure you unbolt and remove the shifter so it isn’t in the way. Make sure the Dip stick tube clears the exhaust

When sliding the new transmission in take your time… this was the longest part… also try to make sure that the holes in the flywheel line up with those on the torque-o-verter.

Once you get the transmission mated up against the engine put the flywheel bolts back in. This will keep the flywheel and torque-o-veter aligned .

Then bolt the bell housing in. No pic, see removal. After that reconnect all electrical connections. Lower the transfer case end of the transmission this makes it a lot easier

Now bolt the crossmember in, and bolt down the mount.

Reconnect the ATF lines

Bolt in the starter

Make sure the top portion of the dipstick tube is connected, check the level.
Reconnect your 4x4 drive shaft

Place your modified shifter assembly back in

Hook up the shifter lever under the truck

That is Part one of the 4x4 conversion, sorry for the lack of pictures at the end. if you have any questions feel fre to ask

Part Two: Front Diff. and adding 4x4 spindles (coming soon)

See less See more
#7 ·
i also wonder from those who have done the swap. I had one connetion that i couldent hook up to the A340F i think it is a speed sensor. After some reading it looked like the A340F had more then one speed sensor. is this one just not needed. No check engine light went on when i turned the truck on. though i havent driven it yet

if anyone could shed some light that be awsome. thats the only problem so far.

#8 ·
The speed sensor is located on the tail housing at the back of the t-case. Looking over your pics, it looks like you're t-case did not come with one. Instead, it's got a plug where the sensor should go.

I was not able to swap my PreRunner speedsensor as it would not fit correctly. You can give it a shot but be prepared to search junkyards if you can't find one. I was lucky enough to find one at the junkyard that I picked up my 4x4 trans from. They had another trans and t-case that had the speed sensor on it. Keep in mind that the speed sensor wiring will need to be extended but it's straight forward.

#11 ·
#13 ·
yea i need to edit a few things.. like the sensor.. that im missing ( i have a plug in its place, so i need to make a noe to check for that) all in all this swap wasnt to exspensive.. $500 for tranny and front diff $50 for shifter boot and tranny mount $60 for 4WD hub/spindles, vacume tank and solinoids $110 for new CVs and Prob $60 for the drive shaft, and the sensor i was missing... total $780

#15 ·
that sensor is around 350 from toyota iirc.

my t-case didnt come with one either. i found one off a member here.

#16 ·
padesertboy said:
yeah, welcome to wheelin.

I`ve seen a bunch of these recently, why not just
BUY a 4x4? Are ya swapping in an early toy t-case
w/ 4.7`s?

Most be something I`m missing...
i didnt have the money to buy a 4x4 tacoma at the time at least not a V6 ext cab auto.. so i got my prerunner. never intended to do this swap untill i came across the parts for so cheep, then i just decided ehh why not

#17 ·
very good write up

#20 ·
onekickkawi said:
got the Speed sensor today $75 from the local toyota wrecking yard. if anyone is planing on doing this, make sure you have the sensor.
you can drive without the sensor, but it will throw a check engine light and you will have no speedo or odo

#22 ·
onekickkawi said:
and a really anoying blinking light
wont be blinking, just solid ;) and yep, it is very annoying

#24 ·
Great right up man, I'm lookin forward to seeing the rest of the install!

Mike

#25 ·
drabnor said:
wont be blinking, just solid ;) and yep, it is very annoying
I thought you got a sensor on that pig :confused:
I've got an extra one that Chuck though would work in his truck...it didn't.
do you have the wiring and plug? what all are you missing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.