TTORA Forum banner

Winch mount and Winch

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
I finally finished my project.

I bought a 350 amp circuit breaker and placed it on the positive side.

LOL it weighs about 95sh pounds. :eek: It drops the front of my truck almost an inch. I went through the school of hard knocks with the solenoid portion.

The winch motor is in great shape for being 34 years old, its a permanent magnet motor and it only powers in, the switch that the winch originally came with was a knife switch on the positive side. I bought a solenoid assembly, hooked it up as I thought and burned up both solenoids promptly. Took it apart, figured out that the two solenoids were for a winch that had the ability to be turned in two directions. Bought a new solenoid and with some help I figure it out. :rolleyes:

The solenoid bracket was made out of a Skill saw blade, TIG welded with 309SS. Painted black :p

Two of the levers, ie the brake and the clutch were both broken, so I TIG welded them back togather as well. I essentially refurbished a winch that had been deep sixed.

I think, however that I may buy a planetary gear winch sometime this spring, see if I can't get the weight down another 10-15lbs. The bracket is 5/16s on a 1/4 square wall tubing and there is a lot of bracket.

Wally

See less See more
#2 ·
WallyP226 said:
I think, however that I may buy a planetary gear winch sometime this spring, see if I can't get the weight down another 10-15lbs. The bracket is 5/16s on a 1/4 square wall tubing and there is a lot of bracket.
How does that lower tube work on hard or sideways pulls?

Thats a cool old winch, if/when you put on a new winch maybe some vintage restore guy may pay big bucks for a vintage winch like that.

#6 ·
ZR2Steve said:
How does that lower tube work on hard or sideways pulls?

Thats a cool old winch, if/when you put on a new winch maybe some vintage restore guy may pay big bucks for a vintage winch like that.
I don't know how its going to work with hard of angle side pulls, I have not tried too hard of a side pull. I can tell you its not going to be as strong as a winch mounted on a bumper.

I ran the the 5/16s right up to the edge of the reciever and burried the hitch to the bottom of the reciever. So its sleeved .5 ie two pieces of .250 wall, with 5/16s butted up against the top half. I will certainly be watching very closly the first several times I use it.

I am confident of 9000lb straight pulls, the cross member is doubled and reinforced.

The winch, other than some oxidation it is in great shape, the gears still have tooling marks, the brushes are still almost brand new, the case isn't too banged up, I replaced the brake pad and fixed the clutch and brake.

Wally

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.