TTORA Forum banner

LED Lights

59K views 252 replies 28 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys and gals,

I am looking for some led lights to go in my truck toolbox and my camper trailer. What do you guys use for 12volt LED lighting.

I am thinking the 12 LED lights for the tool box and the 48 led for the camper trailer. Does any one have any experience with these brand lights or this website.

Trailer Lights
Toolbox Lights

#44 ·
Date Status Notes
3/18/2012 10:04:00 AM PrepareShipment Order is being prepared for shipment.
3/12/2012 1:24:33 AM BackOrder Cancel shipment
3/5/2012 11:47:44 AM PrepareShipment Update order status for put fulfilling order
2/22/2012 9:25:36 AM BackOrder Can not put fulfill order
2/22/2012 9:25:09 AM PaymentConfirmed Payment Change PaymentStatus. PaymentStatus : PendingPayment To PaymentConfirmed
2/22/2012 9:24:55 AM PendingPayment Order received, payment waiting

Just found my timeline for shipping. First time I could log into the site with my order number

#49 ·
they probably sent you a DIY kit...assembly required...but...only sent half the parts :D

#50 ·
yea that would be my luck... but we all plan on disassembling them to a point regardless. I ordered three different things and I checked/(new email) again this morning - status was updated to en route but only the led lights were being shipped my other two parts were not listed.

#51 ·
I used this for my under cabinet lighting and had some left over. Installed it in the cargo area of the grocery-getter and it turned out great! It's very bright and was easy to install. You buy it by the foot and cut it to fit (by 2" or 3" increments)

http://www.leddistributors.net/products/flexible_led_strip.html

#52 ·
An update, I got half of mine mounted. Should have the other half installed tonight then I can start to string the wiring. I'll get a picture up in the dark when I'm all done:)

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

#53 ·
great !...
but don't forget to post up some daylight pictars...
So's I can see how you mounted those up ;) :D

did you end up making any type of shadow box to mount them in ?

#57 ·
Yep... just got a shipment today...
well... half the order anyways.

But I did receive a 2nd email stating the other half was shipped
as well

Guess I have another project...
even tho' I haven't finished the other 10 or so...
on muh list of things needing to get done

but 'deez christmas tree lights might be more fun then 'dat other chit :D

#58 ·
Damn, these things are bright. I only have half of them mounted up and strung so far. They're probably twice or 3 times brighter than the POS's I had mounted up before. Also included some pics on how I mounted:

First, the night shots. The back 3 lights, 4 under the cab, and the driver front corner, and the middle of the front are on. I still need to run the front right and the 4 under the pass side of the cab.

The pictures aren't too deceiving, there aren't really any shadows under the rig. The only faint shadows are the leaf springs and the rear 3rd member.

To make sure I didn't have any problems with the wiring later on down the road (luike I did with my last set), everything is ran in split loom tubing, has a Delphi Weatherpack connector, and is all taped up. Secured to the frame/cab using zip ties that click into place with a 1/4" hole...

Here's how they are mounted up. No pictures of the front core support mount, but it's the same idea as the cab mounts. Just a straight tab. I used a 10mmX1.25 nut, then the tab, then followed by the stock bolt which is double nutted in place.

The front cab mount

Rear cab mount and the pinch weld. I also have one at the pinch weld at the front cab mount. Still was running the wires at this point.

The rear. I used the spare tire support bolts.

Front middle. May not work with IFS rigs due to a skidplate, but worked out great for my rig :)

Back Middle.

#60 ·
those look great Phill... I'm stoked for buying in :)

sooo... to me... looking at mine...
don't look like they'd hold up well to rocks thrown at them...

I'd like to see the Light Force shotgun test done :p

cheap enuff no doubt...
but what 'appens if china runs out of stock :eek:

~ suppose I'll be crawling under my junk real soon ~

#59 ·
I like the set up. I had been following the pirate thread for a while. I choose to get a different style light. A continues strand of led's that can be split up, not the individual pods like yours.

An example of the 1's I got. I have not installed mine yet though.

and

#61 ·
Yeah, big boulders I'd doubt it but small ones will probably be fine. The only ones really vulnerable are the front can mounted ones. The rest are protected really well

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

#66 ·
Now let's see Dell's? :xbeer2:
They look just like the same shit everyone else got
Including the extra set I purchased for yer old ass...

so wut you gonna do wit' 'dem old man ? :flipoff4:

#65 ·
welp...

these things look to be sealed fairly well...
but I'd still like to find away to offer impact protection...

sooo... was looking at acrylic jewelry/trinket boxes
and trying to figure out if something like that could
fit the 1.5" X 1.5" OD

found some... and these...
wonder if the magnification would be worse... or better ?

meh... probably not the best...
but a clear box/lid would suffice.

anyone know where to look for these things ?

google ships me off to china... again :rolleyes:

#68 ·
Got some work done on the shell while I'm waiting for the shocks and front window from the dealer. I decided to purchase two 16 ft LED strips from amazon for just under $13 a roll.

Amazon.com: Flexible Light Strip 300 SMD White LED Ribbon 5 Meter or 16 Feet By Ledwholesalers, 2026wh: Home Improvement

I was a bit hesitant about how bright they would be but, for the price it was worth a shot. I also purchased one of the dimmer switches but decided not to install it. I ran a wire from my blue sea fuse block (using a 5amp fuse) in the engine bay all the way down to near the tail gate where the switch is located, then ran two 75" LED strips along the ceiling frame from front to back. The backing uses some 3M adhesive and cutting the strips was easily done at the specific locations with scissors. I then connected one end of each strip with some 16 gauge stranded wire. Wanted to use 18 but, 16 was all I had. The other end of one of the strips I ran additional wire to the switch and ground (+ to the switch, - to ground). The switch was a simple 2 prong toggle switch (able to handle 20amps). The decision was also not to use a relay because of the low amperage the strips used. All the connections I had to solder myself. Which is no biggie as long as you take your time. Enough reading here are the pics. They were taken with a blackberry. Apologize ahead of time for the crappy pics:

Here's the switch:

Pic with no lights. In the top left, you can barely see the street light shining through the shell window.

With a flourescent work shop light. Again the top left shows the same street light for ref.

Here's are the LED's lit-up.

#69 ·
got mine in on satuday. Wont have time to put them in until I get back form Mexico so about two weeks I have to wait. Going to order another set incase like Dell said they run out of stock. Still waiting on my LED Dome light and the ten rocker switches I ordered to come in as well.

Thankd for the write up Norcal

#72 ·
I think there's a guy on Pirate that is having his buddy overseas ship them to him, so he can sell them. I don't think he's marking them up since he's not pimping a yellow star.

#76 ·
I wired up a new light and placed it under a water for 5 minutes and this was the result. Used alligator clips to wire it to the battery. I would say they are water proof. Brother ordered a set for 40 bucks shipped from guy off pirate

#80 ·
I wired up a new light and placed it under a water for 5 minutes and this was the result. Used alligator clips to wire it to the battery. I would say they are water proof. Brother ordered a set for 40 bucks shipped from guy off pirate

I bought these same ones. comes with 20 i believer for around 26.00. got it from a link on pirate here it is http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterp...0x5050-smd-led-white-light-strip-dc-12v-91953
awsome deal and they do take a while to come in cause there coming from china but well worth the wait. these are the same exact lights in the picture above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.