TTORA Forum banner

AAL on sagging springs, will it work?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  PsychoTaco 
#1 ·
I have been lurking on this message board for quite some time. This board has been especially useful in answering my questions that I have had about my Tacoma by using the search function. However, one of my questions that has yet been answered is this... I want to order Deaver's 3 leaf progressive add-a-leaf from Wheelers since I would like the additional lift and ride that everyone rants and raves about. However, my stock springs are sagged to the point where its basically riding on the overload springs. My concern is that if I put on the AAL on my sagging springs, I will not gain any lift and possibally ruin my ride since I feel that the stock springs might overpower the AAL into sagging as well. Basically, my question is this, "Will the AAL from Deaver work on sagging springs without failing shortly after?" And if so, will it give a better ride when combined with Bilsteins 5100s? I apologize if this has already been answered, I just cannot, for the life of me, find a thread involving this situation. :)

Also, my rig is a 2000 Tacoma Extended Cab TRD 4x4. My future plans is to put on 882s in the front and Deaver's AAL/1" shackles in the rear. I already have Bentup round double tube sliders and rear bumper on the way. :)

Also, a side question since I don't want to take up too much space on the forum. I want to get the 882s and the OME comfort shocks. However, I do not see anyone else using comfort shocks being paired with the 'firm' springs from OME. Being a total newbie when it comes to springs and shocks, is this a bad combination? I'm aiming for a smooth, cushy on-road ride and an equally smooth ride on rough gravel roads. I only wheel on mountian trails and the like. Nothing hardcore like rock crawling like the majority of ya'll do out west. :) Thank you in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Get youself a spot on the want ads, and post for needing new leafs. Watch for them to come up for sale. Folks swap these out all the time, for many reasons, and you can get a good, unabused pair forbasically $100-250. WAY less than the dealer price. Add on the Deaver's, and go have fun! PS, get the longer brake line for the rear, and some 9" travel rear shocks. You are going to be fine, just troll the want ads for a week or two. BTW, Welcome to the board.

#3 ·
If your springs are that shot, forget it. Get yourself some slightly less used springs, they're popping up on here all the time.

As for the OME shocks, the SC shocks are good, firmer than stock, but not bone jarring. Those 882's aren't "firm" BTW, just longer; same spring rate.

#5 ·
I had your same concerns. I just installed deaver's AAL and it is worlds better than stock, or stock with Fabtech long AAL's, or w/ broken Fabtech long AAL's. They're awesome for the money; great flex, extra clamps, better weight distribution. I would match them with a firm pair of shocks ( read Deaver's mission statement).

Hornito

#6 ·
Alright, I went to the 4WheelParts TruckFest here in Atlanta, GA and ordered the 87 series 15X8 with 3.75 BS rims. I also ordered 882's along with the comfort shocks. As for the rear, I only got the Daystar 1.25" greaseable shackles. I am undecided as far as my rear suspension goes. I am considering replacing my spring pack with a newer pack from someone else's Tacoma and adding the Deaver 3-leaf AAL, or just get a complete leaf pack from Deaver. The rear will definately have Bilsteins 5100s. :D

I will post later on when I have installed my bumper, sliders, rims with 32" Kuhmo Mud tires, 882's, shackles, and whatever rear suspension I have decided to go with.

For those of you still interested in getting the rims from 4WheelParts, they are still making them. They just don't keep them in stock at the stores and must be drop shipped from the factory. And they are the exact same rims that Wheelers sell. :D I got them for $37 including shipping for each rim.

Anyways, any more input from ya'll concerning my rear suspension setup will be very appreciated. I read anestech*'s post on a different thread about his installation of the Deaver AAL on his sagged spring pack. He was in the same scenario as I am in now. The Deavers held up to his sagging leafs and gave him 2 inches of lift in the rear. I'm guessing the same can apply to my rig. :)

Later,
Daniel

PS: Anyone from GA around here? I want to get involved in the trail runs and meet ya'll in person. :) I've already joined the GATTORA. However, I do not have internet connection at my apartment and have to use the office to make posts. :( Also, I'm hearing impaired so talking on the phone can be somewhat of a difficulty. :D I guess I can consider that a blessing! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.