TTORA Forum banner

winch hook, removable/permanent.

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul 
#1 ·
so, i am gona be buying some synth line with a really nice hook, retail 50 bucks for the hook alone. the line come with the hook already attatched but i contacted them about ordering it as two seperate pieces so i can take it off when driving around town.

what is your guys thoughts on this. i know some people like em permanently atached, but i would not like someone cutiong my hook off at a local mallwheeling session when i step inside for a bit. also it is a nice hook and has more uses if it is removable.

hit me with your comments, especcialy if you have facts about pros ond cons of the two. i plan on buying in a few days.

thanks.
mike.

#3 ·
grumpy said:
why not just get one of those shackle thingy's that mounts the hook to the line? I think then you could remove it.
that is what i am talking about. the line i am looking at is 130 bucks for 100 feet of 5/16 amsteel with the hook alread atached to the thimble. i contacted them about having it shippied unatatched so i could do it like you say but i am asking about the oppinions of those here about just leaving it as is.

#4 ·
I thinks its all a metter of what you prefer. What fits you and your rig. Hook, shackle, they all perform the same function in this case. But one may fit your rig better than another. Personally I like just the shackle, but I kinda like that big aluminum thimble thing on that eBay link you posted. And I reckon the hook will make for quicker/easier hookups and disconnects. Whereas obviously with the shackle involves dealing with the bolt.

#5 ·
mikerox said:
that is what i am talking about. the line i am looking at is 130 bucks for 100 feet of 5/16 amsteel with the hook alread atached to the thimble. i contacted them about having it shippied unatatched so i could do it like you say but i am asking about the oppinions of those here about just leaving it as is.
oncethe line is pulled back tight, I don't think too many ppl would even knwo how to get slack in the line to steal the hook, if thats the concern.
When I get mine, I plan on leavingthe hook attached t othe line end loop. If nothing else it makes it easier for the attachment point to respool the line.

#6 ·
mikerox said:
so, i am gona be buying some synth line with a really nice hook, retail 50 bucks for the hook alone. the line come with the hook already attatched but i contacted them about ordering it as two seperate pieces so i can take it off when driving around town.

what is your guys thoughts on this. i know some people like em permanently atached, but i would not like someone cutiong my hook off at a local mallwheeling session when i step inside for a bit. also it is a nice hook and has more uses if it is removable.

hit me with your comments, especcialy if you have facts about pros ond cons of the two. i plan on buying in a few days.

thanks.
mike.
Mike,
I've been thinking about going with the synthetic line also...If you dont mind me asking where are you getting yours for that price($130)?

Thanks

#7 ·
#8 ·
I just got my synthetic line with hook installed. (I had 3 nasty kinks in my wire from the past 3 moths of usig the winch in the dark)

ANy how I doubt anyone will cut mine, It is tensioned between 2 d rings. (I'll get a pic and post) But either way let me know what you do...

#9 ·
Lysmachia said:
I just got my synthetic line with hook installed. (I had 3 nasty kinks in my wire from the past 3 moths of usig the winch in the dark)

ANy how I doubt anyone will cut mine, It is tensioned between 2 d rings. (I'll get a pic and post) But either way let me know what you do...
if that is your rig in the avitar then i can see it. thanks, and i will let you know.

#10 ·
mikerox said:

thanks.
mike.
i have a removable hook on my synth line. when the line is tensioned with the hook attatched to a shackle, the drum should be locked and unable to free-spool. i have a milemarker and i cannot even turn the clutch key when tensioned. i also have a battery disconnect under the hood so even if someone has a controller, they cannot operate my winch.

#12 ·
hammerdown said:
i have a removable hook on my synth line. when the line is tensioned with the hook attatched to a shackle, the drum should be locked and unable to free-spool. i have a milemarker and i cannot even turn the clutch key when tensioned. i also have a battery disconnect under the hood so even if someone has a controller, they cannot operate my winch.
that looks a lot like the bumper on one of the tlt trucks. where did you get it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.