TTORA Forum banner

Wheel bearing replacement???

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  motochain 
#1 ·
Ok - So I went to get my truck aligned today - and I was told they couldn't do it cause my Drivers front wheel bearing needs to be replaced.. Quoted $550..

I searched the main boards and after reading through over 200 threads, i'm still going WTF...

Is this what they are talking about??

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/toyota/tacoma/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/wheel_bearing.html

Part Number: W0133-1778806

GRN245 body style..

Anyone ever do this on the 05+ 's?
I know i'm going to have to buy some extra tools for this... but it still has to be less than $550..

Any suggestions? Those that know me, know I can change my oil, and that's about it...

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's anything like the early model Tacomas, it's not a lot of fun and takes a big ass press. But I'd go to die and go to hell before I paid some fuckstick dealership $500 to do one.

Ok - So I went to get my truck aligned today - and I was told they couldn't do it cause my Drivers front wheel bearing needs to be replaced.. Quoted $550..

I searched the main boards and after reading through over 200 threads, i'm still going WTF...

Is this what they are talking about??

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/toyota/tacoma/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/wheel_bearing.html

Part Number: W0133-1778806

GRN245 body style..

Anyone ever do this on the 05+ 's?
I know i'm going to have to buy some extra tools for this... but it still has to be less than $550..

Any suggestions? Those that know me, know I can change my oil, and that's about it...

Thanks

#3 ·
According to the FSM, it's a little complicated. You may need to rent a couple of tools from the Vato Zone or do some ******* engineering BUT it does not look too intimidating. You do have a copy of the FSM, yes? File 038001.pdf

Mine need to be replaced as well, someday.

#4 ·
yah - thanks Dick and AZrain - yah, $550 too much, that's why i'm going to try to do this.. if anything, the tools I need to buy are just more stuff to use down the road..
I do have the FSM, so between that and the 200+ threads i've tried to read about it, it should go ok..

Any suggestions for local shops that may have it?

#7 ·
I wisn I knew more about the later models but for the early tacos what you need to do is find someone with a big press. The little 10 ton home shop presses aren't up to the job.
When I did mine one side took 25tons and the other busted loose at around 30.
The FSM showed using some shit rig of SSTs but together and a couple of standard wrenches, ain't gonna happen so you can't always trust what the FSM says.
Also it's makes things a lot less complicated to cut the backing plates off. Then rig them up so you can put them back on with screws.

I made my own spanner tool to get the backing nut on and off.
The torque for the new one was something like 250 ft/lbs. I used an old brake rotor clamped in a large bench vise along with a friend to help hold it . It took a big impact wrench to get it off.

yah - thanks Dick and AZrain - yah, $550 too much, that's why i'm going to try to do this.. if anything, the tools I need to buy are just more stuff to use down the road..
I do have the FSM, so between that and the 200+ threads i've tried to read about it, it should go ok..

Any suggestions for local shops that may have it?

#5 ·
disregard local shop questions - dealer has for $154 - about $10 more than I can find on the internet...
Now hopefully I'll buy all the tools I need before I take my wheel off.. :D

#9 ·
Whew - Not bad at all :D

Well - got the bearing replaced... overall - not too bad to do it.. bought more tools than I needed, but have them for something else now.. had to take the bearing/hub assembly to get them to press it out and new one in... took about 4hrs of my actual labor.. about 20min to put it all back together :p

Bob - thanks for the offer on the press, but just took it to a local machine shop.

learning a little bit at a time.. got driveshafts and bearings down.. what's next? :D Well, hopefully nothing for a while..

Kind of a pain in the ass, but overall cost less than half of what the shop (not dealer) was going to charge.

Ok, I've got a date with Mr. Daniels and Mr. Advil

Thanks all..

#12 ·
just drivers side front.. yah, "probably" should have done it in pairs.. passenger seemed ok though.. lots of threads on the drivers side going out first.. /shrug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.