TTORA Forum banner

Wheel Bearing Replacement

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Half Baked Taco 
#1 ·
Well, unfortunately it looks like its about that time to replace my wheel bearing on the driver side. Just recently, it started making the notoriously obnoxious squeeeeeeakkk at around 10mph. Has anyone had these replaced - what's an average price on getting them replaced. I have no press at home, or tools as I'm at college. How much labor is involved in replacing one - 4 to 6 hours?

Thanks.

#2 ·
blackpearl33 said:
Well, unfortunately it looks like its about that time to replace my wheel bearing on the driver side. Just recently, it started making the notoriously obnoxious squeeeeeeakkk at around 10mph. Has anyone had these replaced - what's an average price on getting them replaced. I have no press at home, or tools as I'm at college. How much labor is involved in replacing one - 4 to 6 hours?

Thanks.
It's actually a pretty easy replacement and you don't need a press -just a 14mm, 12mm and/or 10mm sockets, snap ring pliers, a block of wood and a steel 2" tube longer than the axle shaft. Pull the axle. Remove the snap ring. Turn it shaft down. Grasp the mounting surface of the drum brake parts and slam the shaft into the wood block. It should knock the bearing off the shaft. To install, turn the shaft back over on the block of wood. Slip the steel tubing over the shaft and start hitting it with a BFH. Replace snap ring and bolt it all back together. 1.5 hour job tops.

#4 ·
blackpearl33 said:

Thanks.
If it's the front, you will need a press. I just did mine with a friend who is a mechanic, and it took 1.5hrs + on a 12 ton press to get it out. Granted I think mine was an odd ball, but it came out in pieces. Only cost me the price of the bearing ($77), shops around here quote anywhere from $150-$300+ parts and labor.

#5 ·
Ok - cool. Thanks. I'll see what I can find. Like I said, I have no tools out at my dorm except my socket set! It's the front wheel bearing. I'll keep calling around. Thanks again for your help, guys.

#7 ·
The only thing odd about yours is that you could get them out at all with only a 12 ton press. The one time I did it, one of them took about 30 tons before it finally exploded the other side came out in one piece at about 25 tons. But that was a 4X4 and he has a Prerunner so it may be different.

#8 ·
Dick Foster said:
The only thing odd about yours is that you could get them out at all with only a 12 ton press. The one time I did it, one of them took about 30 tons before it finally exploded the other side came out in one piece at about 25 tons. But that was a 4X4 and he has a Prerunner so it may be different.
Yea, its the front passenger side. I hate letting people work on my rig, but I know that if I let this go, it can turn into larger problems. What size tires are you running on yours? Someone told me w/ the 35s I'll go through wheel bearings like water. . . is there any trick to preserving your bearings (besides not driving the vehicle)?

#10 ·
Yea, I know. I hear that all the time. haha. I don't drive it much, except on the weekends as I live at school. I want to pay the taco off so I can finance the 2007 Challenger - 10 more payments left!!! lol. Hopefully the wheel bearings on those dont go as fast !!!

#11 ·
Dick Foster said:
Hmmm, that may have been the issue. The 12 ton was all we had available, but I will note that for the future. But yeah mine exploded as well when it came out.

#12 ·
PaulW said:
Don't drive with 35's. :p They push the limits of the IFS way too much and will wear shit out a lot faster.
35's on a stock spindle are fine...

#14 ·
Dick Foster said:
Mine must be an oddball too. LOL A friend of mine and I got three bearings pressed out today using a 12 ton press. All three were from 4WD's and only one broke the bearing, leaving part of it attached to the hub while pressing the hub out. That could've been avoided, but it was getting late and we weren't really paying as much attention to what we were doing as we should've been. We were able to get one of the spindles rebuilt with a new bearing, snap-ring, and seals, but had to hold off on doing the second one because it was getting so late. Gonna try to tackle that one tomorrow.

I honestly was equally surprised and impressed that we were able to do the press work using that cheapy 12 ton press, especially after hearing all the horror stories about having to use 30 or even 60 ton presses. Maybe we just got lucky, but it really wasn't as hard as so many people make it sound.

#17 ·
Please point out the word "spindle" in the follwoing text, jackass. LOL

Never mind though it was an old message that poped up and I answered without checking the date.

"Well, unfortunately it looks like its about that time to replace my wheel bearing on the driver side. Just recently, it started making the notoriously obnoxious squeeeeeeakkk at around 10mph. Has anyone had these replaced - what's an average price on getting them replaced. I have no press at home, or tools as I'm at college. How much labor is involved in replacing one - 4 to 6 hours?

Thanks."

#18 ·
That wasn't the text in question, dummy. :D But I guess you already figured that out. LOL

I revived the thread because I saw your post regarding the oddballness of the guy in post 4 being able to press his old bearing out and a new one in using a 12 ton press. Everything I've read regarding replacing them has been horror stories about how it takes some huge press to do the job. Yet I was able to get three front bearings pressed out with very little difficulty using a 12 ton press. Just wanted others to see that it may not necessarily take a huge press to get the job done.

#19 ·
timberwolf said:
It's actually a pretty easy replacement and you don't need a press -just a 14mm, 12mm and/or 10mm sockets, snap ring pliers, a block of wood and a steel 2" tube longer than the axle shaft. Pull the axle. Remove the snap ring. Turn it shaft down. Grasp the mounting surface of the drum brake parts and slam the shaft into the wood block. It should knock the bearing off the shaft. To install, turn the shaft back over on the block of wood. Slip the steel tubing over the shaft and start hitting it with a BFH. Replace snap ring and bolt it all back together. 1.5 hour job tops.
hahahha good stuff up there ^^^.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.