TTORA Forum banner

rear wheel bearing replacement

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Backwoodsboy 
#1 ·
i think i have a rear wheel bearing goin bad, i hear a squeak that gets faster as the truck does, i jacked the rear up last night and spun the tires without the rear locked to see if it was the just the wheels, and then locked to spin the drive shaft as well, it made the noise both times so i believe its a rear wheel bearing or somethin in the rear drum maybe, if its a wheel bearing how hard are those to replace on the rear of the early tacomas, as long as there arent any special tools required i can handle it just checking for any advice on someone that has done them before, cause im pretty sure that is the problem thanks

#2 ·
Generally when a bearing goes bad it ruins the seal and oil will leak. Also, if you jack up the truck and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, it will wiggle. If you don't have those symptoms, my guess is the brakes.

On the older Toyota trucks, the bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft. You can carefully cut it part way and use a chisel to brake it off. But you'll likely need a press to get the new one on. I'm uncertain about the Tacoma set-up, but assume it is the same.

#3 ·
thanks yeah i also tried wigglin the tire as well it didnt move, i was just tryin to see what i would be gettin into if that were the case thanks for you input i will be lookin at closer this week takin the drum off etc, inspecting things thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.