TTORA Forum banner

Grey wire mod

27K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  JS4HNT 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Having trouble sleeping the last few nights. Got up at about 5 AM and did this grey wire mod. My truck is an 02, and it had more wires than the diagram, but it was still a grey wire and still in position #8. The whole mod took about 20 minutes, and that was with me taking my time. At 5 AM its hard to be in a big rush to do anything right? I have only used my locker once. It was to pull my brother's jeep wrangler out of rut. When I tried just pulling him out in 4L it wasn't good enough, so the locker really was good for something. I don't know that I'd ever need to be locked under any circumstances, but at 5AM with nothing to do....

#9 ·
TheChiefSinner said:
Having trouble sleeping the last few nights. Got up at about 5 AM and did this grey wire mod. My truck is an 02, and it had more wires than the diagram, but it was still a grey wire and still in position #8. The whole mod took about 20 minutes, and that was with me taking my time. At 5 AM its hard to be in a big rush to do anything right? I have only used my locker once. It was to pull my brother's jeep wrangler out of rut. When I tried just pulling him out in 4L it wasn't good enough, so the locker really was good for something. I don't know that I'd ever need to be locked under any circumstances, but at 5AM with nothing to do....
another use for 2wd locker-killer donuts!!

#17 · (Edited)
The wires are different on my 03. That is the other wire colors around the grey wire are different.

One thing I should add is that if the gears are not lined up when you hit the button the locker it will not lock. You will need to either turn or gently spin one wheel for it to engage. It is only at this time the light will stop flashing and engage the gears. I wouldnt drive, engage or try to engage the locker on dry pavement (for the newbies like me).

#18 ·
:D Just did it today on my 04 TRD Xcab. 15min. and I was done. The colors around the gray wire were different on mine, but the gray wire is still in the #8 pin location as stated.
Thanks a bunch out there for another great "Freebee" mod.
Rock on! :xrocker:

#21 ·
PastorCJ said:
Ok, I'm a little new at the e-locker thing. My last truck was a 99 w/o TRD. My new one is a 03 D-cab w/ TRD, and the locker. I want to do the grey wire mod, but I'm curious, is there a speed limit to stay under when the locker is engaged in 4 hi? I don't want to trash it...
No, just think about it: The prerunners have a locker, and no 4lo, or even 2lo for that matter. ;)

#22 ·
PastorCJ said:
Ok, I'm a little new at the e-locker thing. My last truck was a 99 w/o TRD. My new one is a 03 D-cab w/ TRD, and the locker. I want to do the grey wire mod, but I'm curious, is there a speed limit to stay under when the locker is engaged in 4 hi? I don't want to trash it...
I used it at the drag strip and have hit the speed limiter with it locked more than once!
Dave

#23 ·
Well, looking at your truck, I guess that settles it. 190 hp doesn't sound so tough next to your 275... :) If you're locked and going that fast, I'm pretty sure I should be safe, since I'll be easing my way into the world of lockers.... (I have had four Toys, a 82, 86, 99, and 03, respectively, none of them with lockers.) Anyway, thanks! I'm thinking the "grey wire mod" will be next on my list...

#24 ·
Sorry to bring back such an old and beaten to death post, but just opening an idea for those that want a "stock look." I went with the soldering route because it's more reliable than crimped connections. I thought what the hell, make it stock at the same time.

What I did is take a piece of wire, and soldered it to a ground connector. I then heat shrinked a short peice over that. Then took the panels off, cut the wire as far as I could in the stock sheathing. Then I pulled the plug off, popped the clip and removed the connector form the plug. Then, open the connector like this:

I just used nail clippers to bend them outward. Just bend the wire till it breaks off. Trim any wire form the connector with the nail clippers.

Strip the wire about 3/16", and lay the wire on the connector. Grab some pliers and smash the clip back on the rubber of the wire. Solder the wire on top of the old one. In this picture, note that the end of it, is smashed onto the wire:

No need to shrink wrap this one because the solder sits inside the connector. Then just take it back to the truck, push it in the connector, and push the clip down.

Just connect the ground gonnector to the bolt.

To remoce the connector form the plug, read up on the service manual. I just used a tiny screwdriver to pull the clip up, and remove the connector. If you also search for "door switch reversal" it goes over how to remove the connectors.

-Philly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.