TTORA Forum banner

Anyone able to help work on my truck?

4K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Scottdl99 
#1 ·
I dont have many friends that know what they are doing nor do I. I need help installing some basic stuff... I have new front shocks and new rear leaf packs. And more to come.

#2 ·
if you were closer I could help ya...of course you could pay me in beer and I might show up lol

#3 ·
In your area I would recommend trying to contact 99sr54wd or Bear (when he's not on a delivery run). Either of them I would trust completely.

Further out in Lafayette you'll find Brinner or jason6746, both also very trustworthy.

There are others in your area but my map is out of date, maybe they'll chime in to help.

Also it might help to know what your wanting to do (other then shocks and leafs), that would assist us in identifying the folks around you that can help.

Good luck!! Let me know if I can help in any way!

#5 ·
to install the front shocks, you are going to need a spring compressor, you can rent/borrow one from auto zone, but I hate the type you get from them (dangerous) We used to always just take the spring package up to a shop like midas or firestone to have swapped out with their hydrolic presses.

But if that is not an option for you, I would be happy to help you out the best I can. I have put a few suspension lifts on in "my day" ;)

If we can get our schedules to gel, I'll do what I can. I will be in town as of tonight (which is subject to change on a days notice) most of the first part of the month. pm me for my phone number and we can discuss options on what days work for you.

if you are only wanting to work on suspension, we could probably knock the projects out in a day or so.

just let me know

#7 ·
I might be able to help out while on my next salt pick up in Fishers. Should be one day next week.
I appreciate all the responses and willingness to help! . I work for Brickman landscaping and run a salt truck in the winter. Lets just say I have been working crazy hours and it killing me looking at parts sitting around. I am going to wait a little while to install the front shocks. I want to get some OME 881's to install with them. I still have some rear leaf springs laying around that I need installed soon. They are complete packs, should be pretty easy but I have never switched any before. I live near castleton mall and can use my work's shop (somewhat heated) any time of day.

I am more than willing to pay in cash, beer, favorite bottle or whatever you need.

thanks!

#8 ·
I have 1 set spring compressors, haven't used them yet. but if you get a pair of loaner from the autoparts stores, it will be better.

I'll be home all this week, so if you wanna do it, let me know, I have most tools needed, but a heater will be better.

i'm off 96th street exit, so should be close enough

#9 ·
I will be out of town from Friday threw Monday or tuesday of next week. After that, I do not know what will bring. But if you can get your shop space after hours, I don't mind working on trucks at night. doing the rear springs can be done in 45 minutes (Don't ask me how I know...It's a texas "thang") I recommend taking a bit more time, but we can get them swapped well within one evening.

speaking of springs, what are you going to do with the old springs? I need to make some custom add a leafs so if the price is right....

regarding the the front 881's I really suggest having a shop with a anchored hydrolic spring compressor swap the front springs. the spring compressors you can buy from most auto parts (as well as rent) can be very tricky to use, and if the claw decides to slip off...well let's just say I have helped a friend plug a hole is his garage wall the exact same diameter of a spring (both interior drywall and fiber board exterior) sure would hate to think what a face or head would look like if they were in the path of the spring.

Let me know if I can be of assistance as well as if you are interested in selling the old springs.

#10 ·
I think we are going to tackle the rear springs today. I would be willing to get rid of the old packs to you. I have no idea what they are worth so I guess make me an offer.

I am leaning more towards the Eibach springs to run on the front end. anyone have any thoughts?

#13 ·
Scott,

do you know if these shocks you bought would work with Tundra coils? I have a pair of the off an 05 non-TRD, I bought them for spares, can let go for cheap.
my lift on the 99 has TRD 4wd Tundra front coils, they are plent firm even with my ARB bumper. I have no idea how they gonna ride with the valving of these 5100 shocks.

#15 ·
Well long story short while working on the truck today we found this:

And I just had it inspected last month....real good job they did. I will be calling the stealership on Monday.....:(

#21 ·
Would anyone be interested in buying my locker rear end of this truck before it gets smashed? I would take it off and keep it for myself but I have no idea what to do.

#22 ·
Keep the locker regardless! if you don't use it, it is re-saleable! (is that a word?)

as for the front springs, I just need a few leafs if that many out of them. I'm working on a budget so keep that in mind when you throw out your first price. (as a reference. I bought a set of rear springs out of a 1/2 ton chevy for $75 bucks, but can buy some add a leafs for $35)

#23 ·
I have an appt. with Toyota tomorrow at 3pm.

Bear I will keep you in mind on the springs. Hopefully they buy this one back and once I get another tacoma I will let you have first dibs on the rear packs. Or I could give you them out of the next truck and some beer to help with the locker removal :) I have no idea how/what to do to remove it.

#24 ·
Its easier to just unbolt your whole rear axle and bolt in one from the junkyard. You can get 5-600 for your elocker axle. Its alot less work this way and then u dont need a new carrier to put back in and set up ur gears agian either.

#25 ·
Ok the frame failed. Good thing is they are letting me drive the truck until Toyota brings my check to the dealership. Very nice of them when we are expecting 3-6" of snow tonight. Another note...I may have overskimmed this but they give you 1.5 times bluebook retail excellent condition. I should be getting a check for a little over 10k.

Anyone interested in my locker rear end? That's the only thing I'm going to try to remove before it gets crushed. I will start calling around tomorrow trying to find a regular axle.

#26 ·
Ok the frame failed. Good thing is they are letting me drive the truck until Toyota brings my check to the dealership. Very nice of them when we are expecting 3-6" of snow tonight. Another note...I may have overskimmed this but they give you 1.5 times bluebook retail excellent condition. I should be getting a check for a little over 10k.

Anyone interested in my locker rear end? That's the only thing I'm going to try to remove before it gets crushed. I will start calling around tomorrow trying to find a regular axle.
It's a '99, I would follow Joe's lead (Ohio Prez) when his truck failed last month, he canibalized everything he thought might be of use for others that still had their trucks.

By that I mean he took off the window cranks, removed his rear axle as Mark referenced. (replaced with a junk yard hunk of scrap for an axle) replaced aftermarket suspension parts with worn out stock etc.

From my understanding as long as the truck will roll into the dealership under it's own power they will give you the buy back. and last I heard it was 1 1/2 times blue book.

How is your interior? If in good shape I would gut it down to drivers seat. You know how many people have asked me for my seat belts after I replaced my seats and harnesses for the aftermarkets and 5 point belts?

#27 ·
let me know what parts you have that you could sell...I might buy something lol.

#29 ·
the weather has slowed my traveling down a bit. I don't have anything for a few days (read as until next week) If you want some help removing parts or even just a second opinion on what to remove to sell, let me know. I'll be happy to come over and lend a hand.

I am over in Avon so I can be there most anytime.

#30 ·
Scott, in working on my truck last night, I discovered that I also need a new a/c compressor. so if you don't mind, can you pull yours and make me a good deal on it? You don't need to worry about discharging it, and if you need me to, I will come take it out as well.

Being from Texas I really insist on having A/c in my vehicles as I never know when I will be back in the 90* temps again!

#32 ·
I'll let you know what I find out about the bone yard in Columbus as soon as I hear something.

It was good talking to you on the phone, as I mentioned, let me know how and when I can help.

#33 ·
I think I am going to switch out my axle. Bear has offered to help. If his schedule dosen't work out with mine is there anyone else out there that can help with this? Keep in mind I do not know anything about switching them.

#34 ·
Scott, I am back in town, will be leaving again either late tomorrow night or Tuesday. when you get a chance (before I leave) give me a call. I got the information we were talking about before I left.

I also saw your threads on the national board-told you that you would see some interest. :D

#35 ·
I got to play with my new tools set today. I spent a few hours working on pulling some parts off to sell.

I pulled the front bumper, fender flares, mud flaps, grill and a few other small misc. parts.

#36 ·
scott- i replied about your mudflaps in the other thread, but if you need any help- I'm in Noblesville and I'm pretty handy with a wrench. I'm no mechanic by any means (and I'm new on this board) but I don't have any friends that like to wrench either. BTW, my other two cars are a 2001 jetta tdi and a 2001 golf tdi. If it weren't for the game today, I'd offer my services this afternoon! Pm me a phone #!

#37 ·
Nice to find someone else so close. My current task at hand is pulling all the locker wiring and parts. I have access to my shop at work that is pretty big. I'll pm you about the flaps and my #

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.