TTORA Forum banner

22-RE Buggy Wiring

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ksp04031 
#1 ·
It seems like this thread will be most helpful in this section but feel free to move it wherever.

've started my winter project on my '91 based truggy and need your help. I'm wanting to run ONLY the bare minimum EFI wiring off of my ECU and power as much as possible through a 12voltguy switch panel. In my research, I've found that there are FAR more questions than answers on this subject and would also like to post a write-up to help out others. I was hoping to get a good FAQ/discussion started on this thread and then answer/ organize them in the "how-to" write-up.

Here's what I need to know right now--Which components do I need to run off of my ECU to run ONLY the EFI? I'll start on the switch panel later. I already have all my wire colors and plug pinouts figured out and will post them soon. Thanks for looking.

#2 ·
Not a whole lot of interest here but what the hell...

As a lot of you already know, the '91 and '92 harness is very different from the earlier EFI harnesses and makes Izeloz's write-up nearly useless for us. Which is unfortunately because he did a great job. I've been researching and for the most part, only found dead end threads. I'm hoping this won't be another.

The best ECU diagram I've found is from Autozone (it's a free feature of their website once you register) and had to make my own plug pinout diagram by removing the cover of the ECU; it's printed on the circuit board. I'll get that posted soon.

After way too much reading, I think these are the bare essentials to run the EFI, no EGR, a compliment of Auto Meter guages and an external in-line fuel pump from Summit:

– Injectors 1-4
– Clutch Start Switch
- Neutral Start Switch
- Clutch Start Cancel Switch
- Battery
- Distributor
- Igniter
- Ignition Coil
- Starter
- Start Inj. Time Switch
- Cold Start
- EFI Main Relay
- Alternator
- Circuit Opening Relay
- O2 Sensor (Main)
- O2 Sensor (Sub)
- Fuel Pressure-Up Valve
- Vehicle Speed Sensor
- Throttle Position Sensor
- AFM
- Knock Sensor
- Water Temp Sensor

Here's the stuff I can ixnay from the ECU:

– AS Valve
– All Check Connectors
– Fuel Pump
– Check Engine Indicator
– Stop Lamp Switch
– EGR Valve
– EGR Gas Temp. Sensor

Agree? Disagree? Let's hear it...

#4 ·
for whatever it is worth, i logged on to alldata.com & got u the 3 main " engine electrical diagrams" for a 91 4x4 toyota pickup w/ 22RE. if that is wrong application, than let me know. bacially just plug the EFI harness to all engine sesors, then plug it to ECU(computer). look on these diagrams for the wire(s) to power & turn on engine computer itself. u could just put computer's power on a fused toggle switch(ideally would be toggle-controlled relay with a circuit breaker). i imagine u want to do away wit all EGR aspecs of the motor aswell......there are some thins on the EFI harness you don't really need, but this will also incorporat vaccuum line changes *your best searching threads about EGR removal separatly...there are lots of threas about that topic....with many different Points to consider....
keep in mind that the EFI harness is its own seperate thing from the rest om the truck....it can sustain life all by itself & is simple plug & play for the most part.(as long as you can read an electrical diagram)

#5 ·
Thanks TT. I probably won't be updating this thread on TTORA but it is still going on Pirate. Check it out and throw your $.02 in whenever you can. Thanks for the diagrams. I too, got those and a few more from Alldata.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.