TTORA Forum banner

2002 Double Cab 5-Speed/4x4 Conversion

311K views 863 replies 63 participants last post by  Truckdude80 
#1 · (Edited)
Had to start this thread some time might as well start now. Missed out on lots of great deals due to money issues or else I would have been done. Here is the break down.

Truck:
Toyota Tacoma
Double Cab
V6 4 speed Auto
Prerunner

Mods:
Donahoe UCA, Donahoe 2.5 Coilover, Bilstein 5125, Deaver 8 Pack, Snug Top Shell, Yakima Roof Rack, Coleman Basket, Hella 500, Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Cobra 19Ultra III CB

Current Parts:
5 speed Manual Transmission - $250 Birthday Gift
J-Shifting T-Case - $75
Front Drive Shaft - $50 Shipped
Rear Front Portion Drive Shaft - $75 Shipped
T-Case VSS - $75 Shipped
J-Shifter Lever -$39 Shipped
J-Shifter Knob - $10 Shipped
5 Speed Shift Knob - $25 Shipped
Clutch Pedal Assembly - $25 Shipped
Front Diff 4.30 - $264 Shipped
Non Add Diff Output Tube - $114.50 Shipped
Master Cylinder - $67.78 Shipped
Slave Cylinder - $37.78 Shipped
Marlin Twin Stick - $199 (Plus Shipping 10.51) Bought With Trans Mount
Marlin HD Transmission Mount 85.00 (Plus Tax 25.49)
2002 Toyota Tacoma ECU 89666-04010 - $125 Shipped
URD 5vz Short Shifter On Sale - $106.41 Shipped
Manual Hubs Spindles - Package Deal $500
Manual Hubs - Package Deal $500
Manual Cvs - Package Deal $500
4.10 Front Diff - Package Deal $500
Shift Boot And Plate - $39 Shipped
2004 MT V6 Flywheel - $300
Diff Drop Bolts - $31 Shipped
Clutch Hydro Lines and Brackets and Nuts/Bolts. $63.32 Shipped
Current Total Cost So Far 2592.79

After Selling some of the things I don't need $2347.88

Searching For Parts
Interior Plastics

I'll Update as I go.

Helpful Links:
Auto to Manual Swap Junglecode Write Up

Drive Shaft Measurements

Double Cab to Manual Swap, Advice and Pointers

Other Members Conversion Threads

HillBilly_Young01 Auto DC to 4x4
Tacoma4Life - Auto DC to Manual 4x4 (5 speed Manual Swap)
Snorkie Auto DC to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
SAR_Squid79 Auto Ext to 4x4 (Using Inchworm)
Interex Auto Ext to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
iceman601 Auto 4-runner to 4x4 (Using Tacoma Trans/T-case)

FAQ

Would a 4x4 Single Cab front portion of the rear drive shaft work for my Double Cab or Extra Cab? No Single Cabs drive shaft is shorter then a Double Cab or Extra Cab. Source

Can I use parts from a 4-Runner? For a Tacoma you can use 4-runner parts from a 3rd Gen 1996–2002. Source

If I do a Auto to Manual swap will I throw a CEL? Yes unless you swap out the ECU for a 5 Speed 4x4 Manual. Source

Can I reuse my Pre-runner Transmission for the swap? You have 2 options you can choose from. One is to swap out the 2wd output shaft for a 4x4 output shaft. Two run the Inchworm Prerunner Adapter Plate with a Gear Driven T-case or a Lefty Adapter with a Lefty T-Case. (NO Stock T-Case w/ Adapter)
Sources: Output Swap Prerunner Adapter Plate

Can I use my Prerunner Vehicle Speed Sensor? No, They are different. Source

How do I wire the ADD system with out the computer?/I]
Answered by Here

Can I use my Prerunner Rear Drive shaft? Yes but the front portion after the Center Carrier Bearing must be shortened 12" Inches. Source

If I use Manual Hubs will I keep my ABS? Only way to keep ABS on manual hubs is to press the Manual hubs into your ABS spindles. Source

Will a T-Case from a Manual transmission bolt to an Automatic transmission? According to ShowStop "input shafts are different lengths between auto and manual" Source 1 Source 2 *Update According to js_iron "They are the exact same output shaft length and they both will bolt right up to the A340F" Source

Can I use a 2.7 T-Case for my 3.4 Transmission.
I believe 2.7 T-cases are the same, manual/AT. The difference in shaft length is in the tranny, not the tcase.
The v6 tcase is 23 spline, the 4cyl should be 26 spline.

Can I use ADD CV's with my Manual Hubs? No, the ends are different.Source

How do I wire up my clutch cancel button? "If you want the clutch start safety feature with over ride switch, best to cut it out of the wrecked truck harness and piggy back onto your DC harness." - mattm94 Source Post #18

See less See more
#707 · (Edited)
Birthday wrenching scheduled! 11/30/11 :D

It may rain but oh well!

Question about the water pump. Did you guys just block the tranny cooler line? I ask because a 5 speed water pump doesn't have the transmission lines. They are different part numbers.

#708 ·
Any update, Dang?

Also, FWIW, I didn't do anything with my stock AT water pump, and didn't notice the line(s) you refer to. I did cap off the two trans cooler nipples on the bottom of the radiator, but that was it.

Jeff

#710 ·
man i read the first post you put up and then thought it was the only thread i needed to read to do my 4x4 5speed swap, but then i saw the 24 pages!:eek: kinda makes me not wanna do it lol so much reading!
but i do appreciate the details you put into it.

hopefully by the time i pay the truck off i can have all the parts collected and ready! :D

#711 ·
Passed my smog test today

Thought I'd bump the thread with one more data point: I passed my California "Test Only" smog test today with no questions and no issues. Passing the dyno test wasn't a concern as the motor runs clean and I haven't done anything to it (yet -- supercharger install coming next, now that the smog is OK :D ). I was worried that the MT and/or 4x4 swap were going to be a problem, but it passed the visual, so those weren't issues at all. The tech even noted that I had "converted" to manual hubs and that he thought that was cool and a good idea. :cool:

That was pretty much the last remaining task on my swap, so I'm stoked -- it's smog legal, and I have the paperwork to prove it. :D

Thanks again, Dang and everyone, for your help over the last 18 months!

Jeff

#716 ·
My double cab is mid swap. After looking at the wiring diagram tell I became one with the chair I was sitting in. I called the dealer about some questions I had. I came to a conclusion, swap out the ECU and ground out the N/S switch.

Does that sound about right?

2003 dc 3.4 2wd converting to r151 trans gear driven cases and SAS

#717 ·
Pretty much. Look over the document in my sig if you haven't yet. It shows that there are 18 wires that are connected to the 2003 5VZE AT ECU that don't need to be connected to the 2003 MT ECU. All of the other wires are identical - same wire colors and functions on the same pins in both ECUs. That makes this pretty easy.

If it were mine, I would remove these unused pins from the ECU harness, either by using a jumper harness and clipping those wires -- what I did on mine -- or by removing their pins from the ECU connectors and taping them off. I would do this because I'm paranoid, and I wouldn't want to risk that any of those leads were still hot and might fry or confuse my MT ECU. That's my 2 cents. If you aren't feeling like doing that, you can plug the stock AT connectors into the MT ECU and take your chances. :dunno:

As for the connectors to the NSW and back into the cab, refer to Tacoma4Life's conversion thread, specifically the paragraphs before and after his excellent NSW rewiring diagram:

Note that the pin numbers and wire colors on his may not match yours, so refer to your FSM wiring diagram and make sure you know which wire is which. That's the best way to do it, IMO, but yes, you can hard wire the NSW and skip the Clutch Cancel switch if you want to.

Good luck!

#719 · (Edited)
Pretty much. Look over the document in my sig if you haven't yet. It shows that there are 18 wires that are connected to the 2003 5VZE AT ECU that don't need to be connected to the 2003 MT ECU. All of the other wires are identical - same wire colors and functions on the same pins in both ECUs. That makes this pretty easy.

Note that the pin numbers and wire colors on his may not match yours, so refer to your FSM wiring diagram and make sure you know which wire is which. That's the best way to do it, IMO, but yes, you can hard wire the NSW and skip the Clutch Cancel switch if you want to.

Good luck!
Will do thanks man..

On a side note: the wrecking yard sent me an A/T ECU and they won't let me return it. So I'm gonna give the AT ECU a try, if it doesnt work :saw: il cut the melted computer out of my dash. :rofl:

#720 ·
I believe it will work, at least sort of, but it's going to be setting multiple check engine lights (CELs) codes due to the missing electrical components in the AT. Not a big deal if it's a trail only rig and/or you live in a state that doesn't do smog or vehicle inspections, but it's something to be aware of.

#721 ·
picking the right computer..

So i have a list of computers that i can use from the dealer, each year has its own number. my question is can i put a 2003 computer (89661-04520) in an 2001 or 2004 and visa/versa?

side note: I'm going to SAS the front so i will be using a 2WD, V6, Manual, ECU.

#722 · (Edited)
NO, YOU CAN'T! Thanks, Toyota.

Every. Single. Year. Is. Different.

Every. Single. Model. Is. Different.

See the PDF in my signature for more info on the ECU and wiring aspects of the conversion.

Tacoma ECUs are specific to Tacomas; 4Runners to 4Runners, T100s to T100s. The functions may be the same, but the wires, their pin positions, and their colors vary from year to year and model to model. Unless you feel like making this into an epic project that's considerably more difficult, spend the time or money to find the exact ECU you need!! "Close" isn't going to work.

Jeff

#726 ·
My only update is that if yours is a V6, I did your exact swap and mine drives fine with no issues, no CELs, and passed CA smog. I've had it on the road for almost exactly 2 years...well, 2 years since the manual swap, 18 months since converting the front axle to 4wd. All of my issues and their resolutions are here in this thread.

Good luck with your swaps! It's definitely worth the effort, IMO. My truck drives great since completing the swaps, and other than needing to re-gear (not related to this swap), I couldn't be happier with it. If you have any questions, post 'em...but I'll bet most of the answers are in this thread already :D

Mine:

Manual hubs hidden because the tire shop installed the centers on the wheels. Thankfully the end caps pop off easily, but I would have left 'em exposed if they had asked me.

Jeff

#727 ·
It's been a year and a half now on mine(damn, time flies), running great. No codes, passed emissions last year without issue.

The only real problem I had was being sold a crap transmission the first time around.

Now if I can only find the time, parts, and money to finish up this damn 4x4 conversion...

#729 ·
:kewl: exelent , its great to here its running good plus no cel's :doh: im in houston tx and we cant have any cels etheir im shure theirs shady inspections shops that will pass a truck with a cel light but knowing its 100 % is better :rolleyes: hope you reach your gool

#731 ·
sorry for the late reply I was haveing some login issues any who ahh yes I can see clearly now this all make sence just one question the 15 wires that need to be moved / cut are thoes in one plug or in all plugs by the way both trucks are 02 dc v6 3.4, and did you wire the truck to start or used the clutch start button , I ask because I was able to score a clutch start button with plug & wires that goes on the left on a ex cab taco & since the ect button will have no use after the swap could that be used wire in to start like oem truck or am I opening up a hole new mess , what did you do

#732 · (Edited)
::sigh::

Dude, did you even read my PDF?

Sorry to get all school teacher on you, but download it from here:

http://www.well.com/user/mosk/images/Tacoma_ECU_pinout_drafts/Early_Tacoma_ECUs_v2.pdf

Click the link on the title page to take you to the section for the 2002 5VZ Tacoma, or go to page 106 (same thing).

At the beginning of each section is a diagram showing you the connectors used by that particular ECU. There are typically 4 connectors. Each connector is labeled the same as it is in the factory service manual (FSM). For the 2002 V6 Tacos, these are E5, E6, E7, and E8. Each of these connectors has a different number of pins. These are numbered. Thus, any given pin has an address, like E5-16 (connector E5, pin 16). Are you with me so far?

Underneath the diagram of the connectors I have a spreadsheet where I list each pin used by the AT and MT ECUs for that model/motor. Each row explains what a given pin does for each type of ECU. The pins are sorted by connector, then pin. I'm on my fucking phone so I can't take a screen shot for you, but this should be obvious if you look at it, as the two left columns list the connector, then the pin.

The next two columns list that pin's function in the Auto ECU, followed by the colors of the wire connected to it. The next two columns repeat this for the Manual ECU.

Here's the important part, and the whole point of the PDF: if a given pin is NOT used by one of the ECUs, the letters NA appear in red in the cells for function and wire color. And if a given pin has one function for AT but a different one for MT, that's called out, too. But you don't have to worry about that for your 2002 as all the wires are either the same or not used by the MT ECU.

Those connections listed as NA are only used by one ECU. For the 2002 V6 Taco, this means the wires labeled NA are the wires used only by the auto trans and NOT used by the manual trans, so when you convert to use the manual trans ECU, those wires can be cut in the AT harness.

Does that make sense? Let me know, because if it doesn't we're at a standstill until it does.

As for the clutch start switch down at the pedal: yes, I hooked mine up.

I have not hooked up the clutch cancel switch in the dash, nor have I hooked up my cruise control. Maybe someday, but maybe never as I don't miss them.

Seriously, let me know if the above makes sense, OK? I'm happy to help, but you have to wrap your head around this spreadsheet to do the ECU swap.

#735 ·
:newbie: here so if I ask question its just to make sure, I like to mesure twice & cut once:saw::saw: I did reed the pdf and that was a dumb question on my part but wanted to know we were on the same page for the moment thats about it with the ecu I now have a better understanding of it thank you so much . im haveing a oem flywheel resurf and wanted this urd clutch kit what do you think they say it puts out 450 rear wheel torque hold capacity and my truck is superchared and wanted a bit more power out of it but I havent seen any reviews.
the urd clutch
http://www.urdusa.com/p1260519014/C...utch-Kit-for-5vz-FE-5-Speed/product_info.html

#743 ·
reyess cash, I want to repost some of the info on the NSW portion of the swap, as I referred to Tacoma4Life's NSW wiring diagram when I was posting from my phone and now have the ability to link to it more easily.

Here's what I wrote in a previous post:

Refer to Tacoma4Life's extremely excellent wiring chart:

Those are the wires that run to your auto trans. You need to jumper the neutral start switch wires to get the motor started. If you want the OEM functionality of having to depress the clutch to start the truck, those two wires need to be run back into the dash and attached to the clutch depress switch at the bottom of the bracket. If you want the reverse lights to work, you need to run wires from the auto trans plug to the reverse switch on the side of the trans. If you want the cruise control to disengage when you release (depress) the clutch, another two wires need to go from that to the switch at the top of the clutch pedal bracket. All of this is easier if you cut off the automatic trans wiring plug near the end of its harness so you can splice the wires directly.

This post I made earlier in the thread has a little more info on how I did this. It isn't a complete description of what you need to do, but it will help:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2009384&postcount=170
That last link will take you to the post where I show what I did on my 2002. It isn't a step-by-step guide, but it will get you most of the way there. The main thing is, you will need the FSM wiring diagram, as the pins of the 2002 are somewhat different than what's in Tacoma4Life's diagram. His diagram is still your goal, but if I recall correctly the pins on the 2002 are either in a different order or the pin numbers have different functions. So you'll need to refer to the FSM to work out the functions of the wires and their pin numbers, and then translate that so that you can make the 2002 wires function the same as Tacoma4Life's diagram.

Be patient, and work it out on paper first, then post here so we can check your work :D

Jeff

#744 ·
thanks jeff this wireing chart will defenetlly be esential to get the trucks started , new flywheel presure plate and asin clutch are here ready to bolt I just need the flywheel,starter,bellhousing bolts, I used the parts number on page 7 of this thred but here in houston they dont have any in the local dealer till fri pluss some part numbers change but i was able to find them so thats were im at, they told me if they dont get them by fri they would have them in back order:xcrybaby: looks like a trip to the hardware store or yunk yard is blan b but will see:rolleyes: by the way did you ever instal the urd short shift im in the market for one ;)

#745 ·
Yes, I have the URD short shifter kit. It works fine, nice kit. Not a huge change over stock, but it's an improvement. You have to cut away some of the front edge sheet metal in the shifter opening in the trans tunnel. Not a lot, but perhaps a half inch? It will be obvious when you go to install it.

Good luck with your swap! Post some pics, too :)

#747 ·
So a bit of an update on mine:

After having issues with UPS losing one of my spindles, junkyards sending me ADD units (even after showing them pictures of what a manual hub spindle assembly looks like), and the angry apes at the local dealership taking forever to put new bearings into my spindles...

I finally got all that crap bolted up. About 4 hours worth of work in an apartment parking lot with hand tools and a jack. (my neighbors love me, I'm sure) Including one trip to Ace hardware because I bought the wrong sized nuts for the t-case output studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.