TTORA Forum banner

Big Bear - August 11/12, 2012

19K views 114 replies 39 participants last post by  amocat 777 
#1 · (Edited)
TTORA SO-CAL

presents

BIG BEAR

This is one of the largest attended events of the year! The annual Big Bear run has plenty of fun trails for all types of vehicles. Most staff and members will be camping. Trail runs will take place all day Saturday and additional runs usually pop up on Sunday.

VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: Open to all Prerunners and 4x4s.

All vehicles should have a tow strap, at least 1 tow point on both ends of your rig(stock OK), a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, a fully working spare tire and tools to change it. Each run has its own requirements, see below. A CB radio is highly recommended for communications on the trail.

DRIVERS MEETING:

TIME: 9AM Sharp!
Please have your vehicle ready for the trails

RUNS:

Prerunner / Stock Run:
Geared toward Prerunners and stock 4x4s, this is a great run for the new comer or those just looking for a nice time in one of the most beautiful mountain areas in Sothern California. This run will be a tour of Holcomb Valley and the surrounding points of interest. Damage of any kind is very unlikely. The San Bernardino Mountains have a rich history and this will be presented as we visit the mines, town sites and other interesting or scenic stops along the way. This is a great way to introduce you and your family to the back county in the San Bernardino National Forest and to learn of its many links to the lands below. It will also be a great way to escape the summer heat by having a relaxing time in the mountains! Some stops will require short walks to view the sites. Appropriate shoes and attire are recommended.

Stock / Modified 4x4 Mild Run:
This run will cover trails such as Gold Mountain, White Mountain, Pontiac Sluice and Jacoby Canyon. These trails will include rocky hill climbs, small rock gardens and loose dirt. Body damage on these trails is not likely, however rock sliders and skid plates are recommended. 4x4 is required for these runs. Additionally, a rear locker and off-road tires are required for the White Mtn. trail run.

Lifted and Locked Hard Run:
This run will cover such trails as John Bull, Holcomb Creek, Dishpan Springs, Deep Creek and Mottino Wash. These trails are very challenging and cover steep, rocky, off-camber terrain. Minimum requirements include 33” tires and one locker. Rock sliders and body armor are also recommended. Body damage is possible on these trails.

Planned runs will vary depending on turn-out and some runs may be combined or cancelled as necessary.
If you have any questions please let your trail leader know before starting the trail.

Trail Preparedness List

FEES:

You must purchase a Forest Adventure Pass if you park or camp in the NF. The forest rangers do regularly patrol the area. You can be cited if you are parked without an Adventure Pass displayed. Adventure Passes are good for four local National Forests, Angeles, San Bernardino, Cleveland and Los Padres. They are required if you stop your vehicle and participate in any form of recreation (i.e. any stopping). Complete details including how and where to purchase the passes can be found at www.fsadventurepass.org. Day passes are $5 and annual passes are $30. The day passes are good for the date validated through 10am the following morning.

Also, if you are planning on using a stove, you will need a fire permit. They can be picked up at any local ranger station or the Discovery Center.

CAMPING INFO:

Weather conditions average mid to high 40’s at night and high 70’s to 80’s during the day at this time of the year. Please pack and prepare accordingly. This year we've reserved a group campsite for both Friday and Saturday night. The information is as follows:

Tanglewood: Near Van Dusen Canyon Road (3N79). BBQ grill, fire ring, tables, pit toilet. No trash collection. 7,542', 40 people; 8 vehicles; 25' space length.

We've contacted the Ranger Station and have been informed that the vehicle limit is loosely enforced but we are to adhere to the person limit. The fire ring allows us to have a real fire this year as opposed to the "lantern fires" of the past. "Pack It In, Pack It Out" will be enforced. Let's leave a good impression and leave the campground in better shape than when we got it. Due to limited space, camping will be given on a "first come, first serve" basis.

Getting There:
34.29222, -116.86444
34°17'32"N, 116°51'52"W

Turn onto Van Dusen Canyon Road (Forest Route 3N09) and drive for 4 miles. Turn right onto Forest Route 3N16 and travel approximately 2 miles. Take a right on Forest Route 3N79 and continue approximately 0.8 miles to the campground

Please sign up and designate which run you'd like to join and if you are interested in camping.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The List!

1. sparky: mild, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader*
2. rocket-scientist: mild, camping(fri/sat)
3. rivethead242: hard, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader*
4. Johnnie: stock, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader*
5. Kmillan: hard, camping(fri/sat)
6. amocat 777: stock
7. willia12: hard, camping(fri/sat)
8-11. Scuba+3(AP): hard, camping(fri/sat) *Trail Leader**Tail Gunner*
12. BattleWagon: hard, camping(fri/sat)
13. j-money$$$: hard, camping(fri/sat)
14. awsumdc: hard *Tail Gunner*
15. cb77DEMELLO: hard, camping(fri/sat)
16. bajadan: hard
17. thehackman15: hard, camping(fri/sat)
18. simigeology: mild
19. bake_mono: mild, camping(fri/sat)
20. BASEjumper: hard, camping(fri/sat)
21. cltypes32: mild, camping(fri/sat)
22. J41: mild, camping(fri/sat)
23. Dlar4x4: hard
24. mudslinger: hard
25. vistataco: mild, camping(sat) *Tail Gunner*
26. bzag: mild, camping(fri/sat)
27. tacoeng: hard
28. whatupdep: hard
29. sr5trd99: hard
30. pelon17: mild, camping(sat)
31. graymatter72: stock, camping(sat)
32. TacomaBlue: mild, camping(sat)
33. mikemirowitz: hard, camping(fri/sat)
34. Smiling Jim: hard
35. dirtybird33: mild, camping(sat)
36. jaystaco: mild, camping(sat)

#4 · (Edited)
This is not an event you want to miss...

Big Bear is one of the more popular runs of the year. Not only does the SBNF have a lot to offer trail wise, it's a great place to escape the summer heat. This year we are raising the bar in more ways than one. In addition to the group campground we have reserved, we will also be having a raffle! That's right, a chance to win some nice stuff from our generous sponsors. Each driver (one per vehicle) will receive one free raffle ticket.

List of confirmed sponsors donating to the raffle :clap::clap::clap:

Keep your eyes open as this post will change as more sponsors confirm their participation!

#5 ·
1. sparky: mild, camping(fri/sat)
2. Rivethhead242: hard, camping (fri/sat)
3. Johnnie: Prerunner :( , group camping Fri/Sat night

#6 ·
Michael, you mentioned mines. Is the easy run going to be a different route this year from what we did last year?

#7 ·
I'll be making the trek down for this one...

3. Johnnie: Prerunner :( , group camping Fri/Sat night
4. KMillan: hard, camping (fri/sat)

#14 ·
Dude! It's been way too long! I was there for your first TTORA run in Anza. I'm the green Tacoma that camped the last night in Fish Creek. Glad to see you're back in town. We have a lot of things going on throughout the year. Hopefully we'll get to see more of you.

I plan on being in Big Bear the weekend before. If all goes well ill be up there for this too.

3. Johnnie: Prerunner , group camping Fri/Sat night
5. Scuba + 3 trucks (AP crew): Hard. Camping (Friday/ Saturday)
6.Battlewgon: Hard Fri/Sat
You mean to tell me I actually get to wheel with you? It's too late to break your last record for canceling.

Dishpan Group
1. sparky
2. rivethead242
3. J-Money
4. Battlewagon (already out)

:cool:

#13 ·
I plan on being in Big Bear the weekend before. If all goes well ill be up there for this too.

#16 ·
I'm in

7. j-money: hard Friday&saturday

#17 ·
3. rivethead242: hard, camping(fri/sat)
4. Johnnie: stock, camping(fri/sat)
8. Scuba+3(AP): hard, camping(fri/sat)
9. BattleWagon: hard, camping(fri/sat)
10. J-Money: hard, camping(fri/sat)
11. Awsumdc: hard

#27 ·
so is anything happening on Sunday? We are new to the area (like so new that i am sitting in a hotel in Barstow right now and moving into our place in Chino Hills tomorrow). Coming from Atlanta. I would love to bring my son out and camp saturday night but my wife has her white coat ceremony saturday and i'm pretty sure she'd kill me if i tried to take her camping after that. However, I'd love to get out and explore the area.

I've got a lifted 3rd gen 4runner on 285's but stock skids and no sliders, honestly I am not looking for anything real crazy anyway, just scenic back country stuff.

#29 ·
I've got a lifted 3rd gen 4runner on 285's but stock skids and no sliders, honestly I am not looking for anything real crazy anyway, just scenic back country stuff.
The easier backcountry run will be on Saturday. If anybody throws anything together on Sunday, it's usually a difficult run.

How's the camping situation shaping up? I see there's more than 8 vehicles already but what about people? I'm thinking about coming down but I would definately want to camp.
The camping is first come, first serve. The earlier you get there on Saturday, the better. Camping is also available within minutes of the main campground.

#30 ·
I am in for the mild run on Saturday. Can't afford to break my junk after paying college tuition for two of my kids:eek:

#32 ·
As stated in the first post the maximum occupancy for the group campsite is 40 people and 8 rigs. Unfortunately there is no overflow parking available in the Tanglewood campground. However, I just got off the phone with a SBNF ranger and have some good news...for the vehicles that don't fit in the parking space available you may park on the shoulder of the fireroad (3N79) overnight as long as you have an Adventure Pass displayed. More information regrading obtaining an Adventure Pass can be found in Sparkys first post.

#34 · (Edited)
Hi, it's my first time off roading at this place. Would my truck handle a mild trail here? It's a stock Dcab w rear e-locker, but it's a converted prerunner to 4x4. It has manual locking hubs in the front. Also, do we meet at 9am sharp on Friday (Aug.10)? Sorry for the questions. Here's the list w my name on it! Thxs!

1. sparky: stock, camping(fri/sat)
14. awsumdc: hard
17. thehackman15: hard
16. bake_mono: mild, camping (fri/sat)

#35 ·
Hi, it's my first time off roading at this place. Would my truck handle a mild trail here? It's a stock Dcab w rear e-locker, but it's a converted prerunner to 4x4. It has manual locking hubs in the front. Also, do we meet at 9am sharp on Friday (Aug.10)? Sorry for the questions. Here's the list w my name on it! Thxs!
9AM saturday morning is the drivers meeting.

#36 ·
17. BASEjumper: hard, camping (Fri/Sat)

#38 ·
19. bake_mono: mild, camping (fri/sat)
20 BASEjumper: hard, camping (Fri/Sat)
21. cltypes32: mild, camping (Fri/Sat)
:xbeer2:

#37 ·
17. BASEjumper: hard, camping (Fri/Sat)
18. cltypes32: mild, camping (Fri/Sat)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.