TTORA Forum banner

one piece driveshaft

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tacoma_2002 
#1 ·
hey guys, in the 05-09 section there is a guy that has replaced his two piece driveshaft with a solid 1 piece driveshaft, he say's it rides much smoother now. what are the pro's and con's of a single piece driveshaft

#2 ·
well any as with any drive shaft a good rule of thumb is never go over 6ft....they're practically impossible to balance after 6ft.as you can guess the longer the harder to balance....you can probably get more power to the ground with a single driveshaft...less u joints, carrier bearings less to go wrong...with a 1 piece shaft you can have alot more rear lift....thats all i know to tell ya......unless your going really high with your truck, or your going to put a chevy 572 in it...keep what you have

#3 ·
x2, the only advantage i see is less to go wrong, but after 6ft he is right is like impossible to balance. it probably wouldnt be cheap either, just stick with the stock one.:2cents:

#5 ·
Most whom shift to a one piece is primarily because they have sas'd their junk and the oem stuff can't handle the angles due to that lift...

I know of some whom have a one piece... non sas'd... and most probably wished they hadn't done it...

It's expensive just for starters...
Yeah you have less moving parts... but you also have a driveshaft hanging lower and longer on it's plane... 37's help compensate for that...
But any lift/tire less then that... leaves the shit banging on the rocks...

Save that mod for... if and/or when ya sas yer junk... JMO

I have near 140K on my oem D shaft and D cardon... with a shitload of those miles on the trail and in the rocks...
The original has yet to fail... why change something that's not broke ?

2" of play in what ?... the cardon ? U joints ?

#6 ·
hmm, well thanks for the info, I won't be swapping.

i grease up alot, maybe too much, the top of the pic is my muffler, this is the back part of my drivetrain and i can feel the slack when i let off the throttle, whatchya think?

#7 ·
hmm, well thanks for the info, I won't be swapping.

i grease up alot, maybe too much, the top of the pic is my muffler, this is the back part of my drivetrain and i can feel the slack when i let off the throttle, whatchya think?
Are you sure the slack is in the driveline... ?

More commonly you will be feeling some axle spring wrap (Deflection) ... and that could play a role in feeling some driveline slack...

Over filliing the slip joint really doesn't do much more then spit the shit out all over the place and make a mess... It does sometimes mimimize the axle wrap... but only until the grease is forced out...

New springs are the best way to rid yerself of axle wrap...
as oem units seem to have excessive wrap... worsening as the miles add on and the trail abuse takes its toll...

or do you have play in one of the U joints or the D cardon ?

#8 ·
ahh! i've looked into axle wrap but i never knew that's that it felt like, it could defenitally be axle wrap, as soon as the funds are here lifting and going with a brand new leaf pack, hopefully that fixes it! thanks for all your help

#9 ·
under my truck looks worse than yours (with grease spit out) i usually push all the grease out of my u-joints (front and rear) after a while ( to push out all dirt, sand, water etc) that might have gotten in there on the trail....i only do it about every 6 months of hard wheelin'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.