TTORA Forum banner

Should I get a diff drop?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
For $50, it's probably worth it, but what do you guys think of this situation:

I have 2.5" spacer suspension lift up front with total chaos UCAs. I've been having little knocks and pings and slight steering noises and other little symptoms that make me think the geometry is screwy down there. At full droop the CV axles are maxed out and the tires are stiff to turn and wobble a tiny bit when doing so. I've broken a couple sway bar links the last few years which also makes me think things down there are tight as shat. I know my lower control arms bushings are getting worn, but before I tackle that I'm wondering if a 1" diff drop is worth installing to maybe relieve some of that stress.

Or is there something else I should do that I'm missing? Any thoughts from the tech experts on TTORA?

#3 ·
I know there have been some minor issues with 2005+ Tacomas and diff drops, but with 1996-2004 there seems to be an even split of people who say there was no change and people who say it helped, with hardly any saying it made things worse. I'm definitely willing to drop my skid an inch if it means things down there are turning and working properly. I don't know of any other possible solutions to help mitigate the angle problems that seem to be causing my wheels to turn badly at full droop and I think putting stress on my steering linkage.

#4 ·
It's really the stress from the larger tires and the trails putting more stress on the steering than anything else. That IFS stuff was simply not designed for big tires and the work it all has to do off road so the best thing to do is to cut it all off and put something made for the task under there. Yeah I know but it is what it is.

#6 ·
It's more of a diff rotation. Doesn't do anything.

I you want to see for yourself, unbolt the two front mounts and lower it with a jack till you have a 1" gap. Your boots will most likely look the same.

Now you mentioned you had a spacer lift. How much of a spacer is above the coil, and how much is above the whole assembly?

#7 ·
Solid axle just isn't in the cards, moneywise or the type of wheeling I do.

Here's a pic of the spacer. I've had it on for about 7 years now. The UCAs are actually Camburg, about 3 years old.

My lower arms are banged up and the metal sleeves are chewing my bushings and wearing them out real fast, so I suppose I'll get new lower arms. That should solve a lot of the slop and noise... and maybe actually help with the front wheels turning smoother, particularly when drooped.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.