TTORA Forum banner

cruise control issues

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ryannotbrian 
#1 ·
i was just wondering if there is a common problem with the cruise control systems on the 96 toyota tacoma/4 runner models. my problem is the cruise control works only periodically. for instance, the cruise control will not set if my truck has been running for the period of half an hour or more. also, if i am lucky enough to get the cruise to work, and i tap either the brake or clutch and then try to reset the cruise, it wont catch. all my vacume lines are connected and arent leaking. all i can come up with is the speed sensor. the reason i mentioned the 4 runner was because i used to work at a used car dealership and happened to drive a 4 runner which had the exact same problmes. im just wondering if that was a coincidence or if it was a common occurance in this particular year, any help would be appreciated

#4 ·
Dick is right, this should be in the Engine section...

There was a recall that happened on 96 Tacoma Cruise Controls. I think that was one of the problems. Here is the synopsis:

1996 Toyota Tacoma NHTSA Recall ID Number: 96E001000
Recall Date: JAN 03, 1996
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Units Affected: 5145
Summary: THESE CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEMS FAIL TO HOLD THE SPEED SET BY THE DRIVER AND CAN ACCELERATE ABOVE THE INTENDED SET SPEED.
Consequence: UNINTENDED ACCELERATION CAN INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE ACCIDENT.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THESE CRUISE CONTROL ASSEMBLIES.
Notes: ROSTRA PRECISION CONTROLS,

A note for the future, I found this info by searching the word "cruise" on this board.

Check and see if that recall was done - just ask your dealer to pull up the VIN.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.