TTORA Forum banner

My ’02 Tacoma hops sideway in the bumps.

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Dutchman 
#1 ·
St cab 2.7 4x4 5sp 104,000 mi – I’ve had this truck for a month now and it goes down the road nice, seems tight. Get into some bumps and it hops to the right – pretty dramatically!
What would be the most likely component(s) that would cause this?
Thanks

#4 ·
I have the same truck and had the same problem I actually jumped across the lane on the highway one time scared me to death ha but I slapped new shocks on and it seemed to dampin the problem a little bit. Iono what size tires your running but I'm running 33-12.50 km2s and fully aired to fact. Specs they have to much air in them I usually run around either 33 or 31 I can't remember

#15 ·
aside form having 104K on those leaf springs...
and that they were not that great... even when new...
could be culprit..
As they wear out... they tend to allow more axle wrap... hop and other odd behaviors.

could be worn shocks... as stated already

or even a possibility that one of the leafs in the spring pack is broken.
tho' generally that's noticed, if it were falling out.

Then there's even a possibility that you have a bent axle.

unequal tire pressure could also play a role.

are you locked in the rear ?

and unlocked rear axle could tend to pull more towards the primary drive wheel side, when under acceleration on irregular road surfaces and during intermittent traction conditions.

#16 ·
I had the truck on the rack for a four wheel alignment when I first got it. It checked out good. There is no locker in the rear. I'm pretty careful with tire pressures but my stock aluminum rims leak at the bead (snow/salt).
I'll check them tomorrow.
Thanks for the good info ----

#18 ·
if you are in a salt area you might have a seized shackle too causing a spring to not flex as much as the other.

#19 ·
Hmmm - just the sound of that "seized shackle" - - -
Makes me want to call my doctor.
I'm going to put the truck back on the lift this week and look things over real good. The way it felt when it tried to change lanes made me think the problem was up front - now I will spend some time checking the rear axle.
Thanks for the heads-up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.