TTORA Forum banner

Failed rear end list in the 05/06 Tacoma

138K views 333 replies 119 participants last post by  bluet 
#1 · (Edited)
No one else has started a list of exact specs yet of who has had a rear end fail in the new (05/06) Tacoma so I figured I would make it easy for some one to find if they needed to bollster a case against Toyota. So here are the details.

1. Post your year and model (standard pkg, SR5, TRD sport, TRD offroad)
2. Size tires you were running at time of failure
3. Mileage at time of failure
3. Activities surrounding failure of rear end (wheeling, burn out, normal driving, etc.)

I think this would be a good source for anyone who has a new or old failure and needs support with arbitration or leverage at the stealership, Servco or with Toyota Motor Corp. Mods if you feel like this should be a sticky for the late tacoma folder or whatever than please move it where you see fit. Just trying to help out.

IF YOUR POST DOES NOT MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS OR IS NOT HIGHLY RELEVANT THAN IT WILL BE DELETED. This list is being formulated to help those individuals who have had a failure of their rear end and not to discuss it. Look for the post by Metu05 if you'd like to discuss it.

Tim

See less See more
#308 ·
you can add my friends taco to the list as well, he's not a member on here so I'll post for him
2006 Toyota tacoma, xcab, 4.0, prerunner. not trd.
he's on 3. would be 2, except when he took it in for repairs the first time, Toyota forgot to put oil in his diff and it obviously destroyed his diff.

Posted from Tacomaterritory.com App for Android

#310 ·
Is my rear end about to grenade???

I have an 05 Reg cab 5sp 4x4 with almost 113k. A few months ago I started to notice some additional drive train slop, especially at take off and in the past few weeks, a little bit of gear whine from the rear. Today I heard two metallic pops from the rear of the truck while turning, thought I ran over something, but nothing was there. Also noticed the truck felt a little loose in the rear. I stopped for gas and shook my wheels in the rear, one by one. Definitely noticed a difference in the passenger side. Felt like a bad wheel bearing would, clunking and movement... Could it be just a wheel bearing?? Or is my rear end about to go?? Please help!!

#311 ·
Rear End Kuput

I blew out my 2005 e locked TRD rear end, (I guess it's the 8.4 in but how can I tell). Anyway, it was at 84k miles and under a severe strain when it blew. Rear end was locked, climbing a snow hill in Death Valley NP, losing traction I gunned it to get the tires down to Terra Firma, i did hit terra firma with my wheels spinning fast and then...WOW I heard a load bang and my ring gear lost one or more teeth. It took me all day to winch myself up that snow hill then I was able to drive, real slow out to Ballart where I disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove all the way back to LA on front wheel drive only...the rear end was screaming the whole way back but I didn't care...I knew it was over for that 3rd member. I found one in a junk yard out of a 2009 FJ cruiser and they put that in for me right there at the junk yard. Seams to be good for now, I drove it 1400 miles back to Texas. I hope they got all the broken pieces out of the diff, there were sure a lot of them.

#312 ·
e-locker or 8.4. they are not interchangeable.
there were some LSD 8.4s that came in some 'sport' models.

#313 ·
e locker then

#315 ·
another one bites the dust...

2006 Tacoma dbl cab sport w/ arb rear air locker
4.56 ring and pinion
35in tires
100,XXX something miles

not locked, street driving, pulled onto a busy road and trying to match traffic into second gear and the whole thing grenaded.

on a completely unrealated note trd supercharger 2.85 pulley, Ucon ems .

#321 ·

Turns out it was the pinion,with no damage to ARB. My best friends up at Archies off road are helping me flush everything out and reinstalling some new gears. My oil looks just awful (very milky) and might have been a factor but thats hard to say.

What done is done, get the truck back today!

#322 ·
"might have been a factor"? LOL...uh, yea :p

with everything out I would have your shop guys go through the ARB as well...most likely will need new 'O' rings and seals with that much water in the diff.

#326 ·
2006 Tacoma PreRunner Access Cab 4x2 w/ 6' bed
236HP, 4.0L , V6, DOHC 24V Engine w/VVT-i
5 Speed Auto Transmission
Rear Locking Diff
Coil over shock double a-arm front suspension
Front Stabilizer bar
Power assisted rack and pinion steering
16" steel wheels, Cooper Discoverer ATP
TRD Off-road, V6 Towing package
SR5

Diagnosed by Lithia Toyota on 6/5/15 as needing a replacement of rear differential assembly at 108,300 miles after bringing in for a deep rotational whine from the rear of truck that increases with speed. Can be heard from parking lot speed and up. Also seen for an intermittent rattle which sounds like a coin in a can, which couldn't be duplicated in parking lot and Toyota refused to drive truck any further in fear the rear differential was going to lock up. Toyota did not tear down rear assembly to see exactly what was broken but due to the whine they heard, they recommended a complete replacement (profit driven?). No leaks have been documented and truck was at Toyota 2 days prior for a front alignment and for me to confirm that an annoying steering wheel vibration that started after getting my Cooper Tires in Dec 2013 @ approx 83,000 miles, is still there and my truck has been rebalanced multiple times with no permanent success.
@ 6yrs old, 60547 miles, Right wheel bearing, both front lower control arm bushings were replaced, along with the guide pin on passenger front lower control arm which seized in the bushing.
My truck is regularly maintenance per schedule at Toyota and very pampered. No excuse for these issues.

#328 ·
2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Differential Failure

Here is another failure to add to the post:

Year: 2005
Make: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
VIN: 5TELU42N86Z2045424
Mileage: 128,000
Operational Conditions: Normal highway activity

Pat Lobb Toyota in McKinney, TX is very dismissive that this is a chronic Toyota issue. I've owned the vehicle since new and no offroad activity has ever taken place. Only engaged 4x4 when snow/ice on road over the past 11 years of ownership. They're asking $2,300 to repair. Whining noise begins at around 50-55 mph up to 75 mph. Noise completely goes away when turning wheels slightly to the left when at speed of 55-75 mph. Although it is clear the noise is coming from the right front drivers side, Pat Lobb Toyota service is telling me the noise is transferring through the frame, from the rear differential.

#329 ·
Year: 2005
Make: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 (3.4L manual tranny)
VIN: unknown at this point
Mileage: 180,000
Operational Conditions: some offroad, purchased 1 year ago.

Got one to rebuild from a local guy. Happened at a 4 wheelin place called "butcher Jones" near Saguaro Lake east of Phoenix.
This one gets a special award for most destroyed ring gear. Yes, the e-locker case is half trashed too....but it has perfectly re-usable
sidegears....and a good e-moter assembly in case anyone needs spares. ;)

#330 ·
So not sure if I should click like or not. On one hand that is some crazy destruction on other whole crap that is some destruction.
Hey ZUK so what do you think is wrong with them ? My theory is that 3.73 gear installed in TRD has not enough metal to hold all the teeth.

#331 ·
Toyota knows and has known about these crappy diffs assembled in Mexico since '05. By now, however, one would think they would have fired the assembly plant...:banghead:

#332 ·
Bluet,
You might have hit the nail on the head. And, hytenor, you can bet Toyota knows the real cause.

I happen to notice this by accident.....that the busted 2005 373 was physically "different" then the 2007 373 that I replaced it with. I was not expecting to see a visual difference between the two but there was. The pinion on the 05 was sloped different than the 07....basically the tip of the pinion(toe end) on the 05 was smaller. Tooth counts were the same 41/11 but there was a dimension change of some sort.

Shown below is an example Dimension Sheet. My theory is they dimensioned them differently that year...... got a batch of 373's in from a different plant(Mexico?)....another theory is, like hytenor suggests, that they were crappily assembled.
fullsize--- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...june10-2014/IMG_0617_zpsqcmphvgf.jpg~original

3.42 gear set example.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.