TTORA Forum banner

JWaldz '99 4Runner Build

25K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  JWaldz 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally slapped one together. I posted it up on another site and figured I'd bring it over here as well. I know it's a little past due for it, but oh well.

1999 LTD Toyota 4Runner, V6, Auto

Suspension & Lift
  • Front 2.5 650lb Extended Length SAW Coilovers
  • Rear 3" OME 891s
  • Bilstein 5125 ext. length rear shocks
  • ToyTec Diff Drop
  • ToyTec Panhard Drop
  • 2" 4Crawler Body Lift

Tires, Wheels, & Brakes
  • 315/75R16 Mickey Thomspon MTZ's
  • 16" '94 Lexus LX450 Wheels
  • 2006 Tundra 231mm Brake Swap
  • All-Pro Offroad 1.25" Hub-Centric Spacers

Offroad, Trail, & Lighting
  • '97 4Runner E-Locker (full axle swap) w/ Retrofit Wiring
  • ARB RD-90 Front AirLocker
  • ARB CKMA12 High Output On-Board Air
  • Nitro Fr/Rr 4.88 Gears
  • B.A.M.F. Kickout Sliders
  • Skid-Row Front Skid
  • Tacoma ARB Bumper (modified to fit 2" body lift)
  • 1st Gen 4Runner Roll Bar
  • 48" Hi-Lift Jack
  • Rage Products Rack & Fairing
  • 30" Totron SR LED Bar
  • Retro-Solutions 55W 8K Bixenon HIDs
  • Altezza Style Rear Tailights
  • Clear corners
  • LED Interior/Exterior Lighting

Electronics, Audio, & Performance
  • Kenwood KDC-X794
  • Cobra 18 WX-ST II CB Radio & 4' Firestick Antenna
  • 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs
  • ScanGaugeII
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch 900w monoblock amp
  • DieHard Platinum P-5
  • Blue Sea Fuse Block
  • Bussman 100amp Breaker
  • TRD Trans. Cooler
  • 18" Magnaflow
  • Fog Mod (pre arb)
  • Full Time Outlet Mod
  • Deckplate Mod
  • Rear Diff Breather Extended
  • Antenna On/Off Select Mod
  • Scion Rockers (Blanks & w/ LED)

Other Aesthetics
  • Front & Rear Wet Okoles
  • Paracord Steering Wheel Wrap
  • Black Pearl Badges
  • Black Pearl Grille

Future Mods
  • External Trans. Cooler (done)
  • Tundra Brakes (done)
  • 4.88 Gears (done)
  • Front ARB Locker (done)
  • On-board Air (done)
  • Winch
  • Rear Plate Bumper
  • Interior Lighting (done-ish?)
  • Whatever other deals I come across :D

Most Current Pics

Stock (after putting tires on)

Short Pic Timeline

See less See more
#3 ·
Man, I've been neglecting this! I've been getting pretty crappy mpg, so I decided to change my plugs and wires. Bought some NGKs and with the help of a friend, it all went swiftly. Next will be doing a seafoam cleansing as well as a few other things. I'm really hoping to get enough saved up for the tundra brake swap before SCC.

I bought a TRD trans cooler from a guy on T4R. Unpackaged but not used. This will keep me away from the 'ol "strawberry milkshake" problem.

I re-routed a couple switches and replaced them with ones from Scions that fit in the OEM spots. If you're looking for some here are the links.

Lighted: http://www.oznium.com/scion-switch-led

Non-Lighted: http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

#4 ·
Got a few items recently :D

Ended up getting a good deal through my buddy that works at an auto store. After I return the cores I will only be spending $260, which isn't bad at all. I'll eventually upgrade rotors. I really want some Brembo cross-drilled rotors.

A few weeks ago I got a good deal on some center caps, finally :D. They make it look great. They aren't in perfect condition, but they still have all the clips. Just a little paint faded.

Also, a while back I purchased a TRD Trans Cooler. If I have time after the brake install I will put it on. Not excited about having to drop my skid-row skid, not only does it weigh a ton but it's a bi#@$ to line up cus it's so torqued from all the rock hits lol.

09/29/2011 Tundra 231mm Brake Swap
Went pretty straight forward. For as major of an upgrade it is, it's very easy. They wont fit the lc80 wheels so either grinding or a spacer is required. Not wanting to grind, I chose to buy wheel spacers. Also after thinking about it, I realized if I ever have a blow out on the front, my spare wont clear! That would be a big problem. I highly advise those that change their front brakes to go ahead and do a full fr/rr brake bleed. Starting the farthest from the MBC and working towards it.

#5 ·
I need a new rear bumper.. shall we start a donation?! :D

Also took a lot of the stickers off both sides and added a new one on the back.. Gettin excited bout opening duck season, right around the corner!

#6 ·
Man I've slacked on this. Since my last update I've added some 1/4 front spacers to pick up the front a little and found a good deal on some Lx450 wheels. I think that's about it.

Update coming though. I just bout an ARB CKMA12 High output air compressor and an ARB compressor hose kit from a guy on YT for $200 shipped. That should push the new front 7.5 3rd I just ordered from ECGS with 4.88 gears and ARB locker pretty well. No more gettin stuck in ravines :D

Will be hooking up the rear with some 4.88s as well then find some 35s to slap on. Eventually get me some limit traps for the front and extended bump stops for the rear to keep from tearing up too much.

Still wanting a rear bumper w/ swing out. I don't like not having a spare tire on board. They just cost too freakin much. Waldo needs a new rear bumper fund anyone?! :rolleyes:

Here's a couple pics just for S's&G's

#8 ·
Got the compressor in today. Tested it and it works great. Did some internal wiring and it's ready to be mounted and wired under the hood. No news from ECGS. I don't know when they'll have the diff ready. I hope soon.

Something is missing here!!!

#9 ·
Got a call from ECGS today saying my diff should be here this week, FINALLY! Hope to get it and the compressor installed before or by this weekend.

Ordered new bushings from Wheelers for the steering rack and front sway bar. They should be coming in soon as well.

Man, there's lots to do lol.

Oh, I also got a hell of a deal on a AnzoUSA 10" LED light bar so I snagged it :D

Another update to follow... (with pics of course)

#10 ·
Man what a pita swapping a front diff is. The rear was so much easier. The hardest part was getting the diff out. All in all everything went well and no busted knuckles which was a plus lol :D Thanks Josh for all the help!

Then it was on to installing the compressor. With absolutely no place to put it, I decided next to th battery was the only solution. So I bought a metal plate to go from under the battery and extend out in the open area. Put an L bracket to extend the support, painted and bolted it all down. Works very well. Glad to be have this project done. Next will be 4.88s for the rear.

#16 ·
I tried but it's too wide. That and there's no way of mounting it centered up. So, even if I moved the Hellas up top there still wouldn't be a place to mount it. Is this your way of saying it looks funny/dumb lol.

#17 ·
x2 on Josh's comment. Looks kinda bad on top of the bar. Just my :2cents:

With those tires and locker in the front, I hope you have saved some money for some spare CV's. Ask me how I know :)

#18 ·
I don't know where else to put it really.. It would look equally as goofy with the Hellas up top.

Advanced Auto lifetime warranty lol.. I got two spares already. I only plan to use the front locker if I have to, that's the benefit of having a selectable.

#19 ·
Haha! Well, "only when you have to" will be most of the time :)

Not sure the quality on the Advance CV's, but if they are anything like the crap O'Reilly has, then stay away! I had the best luck with OEM's, and they are around if you look around the various boards...

#20 ·
Looks good man. Drill some holes a little farther out to mount your hellas and then build a mount if need be to flip that light bar over like josh was saying. It'll keep it from getting knocked off and I think it'll look pretty slick. And seriously would you paint those freaking sliders black already haha.

#22 ·
All suggestions noted. No, O'Reilly cv's just truly suck. People have suggested getting anything but them.

Sliders are coming off, they're just way too long and there's no fixing them. I'm getting new ones and yes, they will be black :D

#25 ·
Waldo, I'm likin' the ARB's and 315's! Did I miss it--did you say what make/size your light bar is? Rigid/Vision X/other?

Rig is looking great. Your RED sliders make you easily identifiable on I-430 at 70mph!

Jwp

#26 ·
Thanks man. It's an 10" AnzoUSA. Got it for $135 new. Well it's gonna be more difficult now, cus I took them off haha. I'll get some new ones up sooner or later, but they won't be red :D I need to get my rear gears before I get anything else.

Bye bye sliders..

#35 ·
Josh and I tackled some regearing tonight... Officially have my 4wd back :D

We tried changing out an axle shaft to another hub buuuuttt wasn't working out well for us. Oh well, was worth a shot.

Thanks again Josh for all your help.

Out with the old..

and in with the new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.