TTORA Forum banner

Synthetic Winchline

15K views 103 replies 16 participants last post by  GatorTaco 
#1 · (Edited)
I found this while over on Pirate- The prices seem good, but I'm curious if anybody else has worked with JeepSwag/Dominion OffRoad before. I don't want to skimp on a rope or get something that won't last. Thanks

link to site

#82 ·
I don't know what straight-pull strength is.

The rope breaking strength (tensile) is 18,000 lbs. The rope assemblies are not as strong as the full breaking strength, because of the splice. Sans wear, any time you splice a rope it will weaken it. I use the strongest splice available.

#83 ·
by "straight-pull" I guess I just meant breaking strength.

So, and you'll have to excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between a 50' extension rope at ~18,000lbs for $157, and a 50' 3" tow strap at 30,000lbs for $62.50?
http://lfssales.com/people.html (this was just a quick google search and the first page that came up)

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather get a rope from you, I was just surprised by the price of a tow strap!

#84 ·
1. The tow strap is much better as a tree saver
2. The tow strap has better abrasion resistance
3. If you break a tow strap, stand WAY back, because someones getting hurt (not likely to break though)
4. The tow strap is giant, the rope is very small and light at about 5 lbs.

#87 ·
Price on 100' orange to 33647?

With Safety Thimble Please. Shipping can be business if it would be a lot cheaper. I will also post this on Pirate.

Thanks!

Also free bump for you. excited to rock some JeepSWAG!

#91 ·
Wow, you guys are good.

I've been doing some testing and here's what I've found. Under HEAVY load, the crush proof thimbles are closing around what ever is placed through them. This causes the thimble eye to become smaller and I'm worried that even the smallest of the 3/4" shackle pins becomes too large. This is not a problem for a link hook, as the thimble can only close to the point where the tube ends touch each other. What I'm taking away from this, is that the direct shackle to tube thimble connection can cause un-happy customers for me. It's not worth it to me to offer the shackle as an option for what we have talked about. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, just how well. If the thimble closes around the shackle pin, it can be bent open to release it. But that's certainly not an elegant solution.

I can certainly get you guys some shackles if this sounds okay to you.

Thoughts?

#93 ·
Looks to be great quality and got super quick shipping and response! looking forward to getting it on my winch! Thanks and i'll update when everything is put together.

#94 ·
Still happy with this rope! Just wondering- Are you offering any chafe guards yet? I'm thinking of going with some of this stuff as mentioned in another thread on here.

#96 ·
#95 ·
Chris,

I just (Finally) installed my winchline and winch in the bumper. Before spooling everything up and installing it all, I went to REI, and had them cut 10' of 1" tubular webbing like you posted. They come in a bunch ofdifferent colors, so I got the green one to match the winchline. Make sure you are getting webbing that is tubular, and not flat. You can find out which is which by trying to roll the webbing between your thumb and index finger.

Once cut, I stuck a 3/8" bolt head about 1/4" down and used a soldering iron to burn te end. This kept the end round.

Slid the whole thing on. It's very easy to slide if there's slight tension on the line.

One thing I did notice is that the protector does not go all the way to the end of the line, because of the bury splice. That's ok though because if you pull it tight against the bury splice, it doesn't slide back in as you're spooling in. Once spooled in, it tucks away very nicely...

-Phill

#99 ·
Great to hear! Thanks!

sweet!!!

One thing I noticed, did you have to trim your grill to make the winch fit?
Yup I did. I couldve moved it down and not cut, but it doesn't look to bad IMO and it's definitely worth the additional clearance. Coming from the ARB bumper, I never wanted to bang into anything with my bumper again on the trail. So far, so good..

I was able to finally find a shackle that the body fits in the crush proof thimble.

Crosby 3/4" shackle, 4 3/4T WLL. You can find these things nearly anywhere.

Actually found that this shackle worked by accident. Found it in the garage, and tried it out. Worked perfectly!
My shackles fit through.. They're from Northern Tool, but I dont remember which model they were.. these are them

#97 ·
ya it looks like his grill is trimmed to fit the winch. id way rather cut my grill up and have a better approach angle than have it stick out another couple inches and make the angle worse. ill have to snap a pic of how little grill i have left with my 8274 mounted up haha. got me in another 1 3/4's though

#98 ·
I was able to finally find a shackle that the body fits in the crush proof thimble.

Crosby 3/4" shackle, 4 3/4T WLL. You can find these things nearly anywhere.

Actually found that this shackle worked by accident. Found it in the garage, and tried it out. Worked perfectly!

#101 ·
some thoughts

Hey guys, haven't checked this thread in a while, but thanks to NorcalPR I've finished some testing and have made available some good shackles. I've identified a 5/8" shackle that works very well with the crush proof thimbles. The key to this shackle is that it's forged alloy steel. This makes them much stronger than a standard steel shackle. This 5/8" shackle has a working load limit of 10,000 lbs. a proof load limit of 20,000 lbs and an ultimate breaking strength of 54,000 lbs. FYI, these are not cheap. For fit, shackles must be tested with the thimble closed. I've had a thimble lock onto a shackle pin before, when doing a heavy pull. To get the pin out, we had to pry the thimble open. I've put a thimble in a vice, closed it and these 5/8" shackles still fit both body and pin.

5/8" forged alloy shackles include shipping at the following prices:
1 Shackle - $18.45
2 Shackles - $29.90
3 Shackles - $42.35
4 Shackles - $53.95

RE the tubular webbing as a chafe guard. The biggest problem with using webbing is that if you pull the rope into the winch, under load, the winch line can get stuck and will not de-spool without a load pulling it out. This is why I recommend a removable chafe guard. I haven't had a chance to properly test my design and this is why I do not yet offer a chafe guard.

Picture of 5/8" shackle:

Here's a picture of a thimble, closed in a vice:

#102 ·
Hey guys, haven't checked this thread in a while, but thanks to NorcalPR I've finished some testing and have made available some good shackles. I've identified a 5/8" shackle that works very well with the crush proof thimbles. The key to this shackle is that it's forged alloy steel. This makes them much stronger than a standard steel shackle. This 5/8" shackle has a working load limit of 10,000 lbs. a proof load limit of 20,000 lbs and an ultimate breaking strength of 54,000 lbs. FYI, these are not cheap. For fit, shackles must be tested with the thimble closed. I've had a thimble lock onto a shackle pin before, when doing a heavy pull. To get the pin out, we had to pry the thimble open. I've put a thimble in a vice, closed it and these 5/8" shackles still fit both body and pin.

5/8" forged alloy shackles include shipping at the following prices:
1 Shackle - $18.45
2 Shackles - $29.90
3 Shackles - $42.35
4 Shackles - $53.95

RE the tubular webbing as a chafe guard. The biggest problem with using webbing is that if you pull the rope into the winch, under load, the winch line can get stuck and will not de-spool without a load pulling it out. This is why I recommend a removable chafe guard. I haven't had a chance to properly test my design and this is why I do not yet offer a chafe guard.

Picture of 5/8" shackle:

Here's a picture of a thimble, closed in a vice:
Awesome. If I have issues with the Crosby shackle that I found, I'll order a 5/8". I'm sure it wasn't too hard to pry open? Just a couple screwdrivers I assume?

Goot point on the webbing, I didn't even think about that. However, the chafe guard can scrunch up towards the end so it wouldn't go in under load. IIRC, I cut it at 8'. It would probably easily scrunch down to 4 or 3 feet.

The other problem I see is if you need to run it through a snatch block. Instead of easily removing it, you'd have to pull a bunch of line out, slide it in, then spool the line/guard in with no load.

We'll see. I haven't gotton any real testing on the winch yet, but so far I'm happy with the 3 dollar guard.

#104 ·
oops, I was mistaken.. I didnt realize ya'll were talking about the crushproof, and I was talking about the safety thimble..
Anyways, I looked at mine and they are 6-1/2 ton WLL 3/4"and fit every direction through the safety thimble.. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.