TTORA Forum banner

Just Installed Demello/Bilstein 7100's and Deavers

5K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  sdv9903 
#1 ·
Installed a set of Demello's Bilstein 7100's and a set of Deaver 10-leafs on my buddies '05 Today. Installation was a slam-dunk and everything fit perfectly. Jason did the math right on the rear shock size, when the leafs are at full droop, the shocks are also at full droop.

What a difference compared to the stock crap, the rear end now keeps up with the Donahoes up front and the truck feels awesome and sits perfectly level. Quality products 100%.

#2 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Installed a set of Demello's Bilstein 7100's and a set of Deaver 10-leafs on my buddies '05 Today. Installation was a slam-dunk and everything fit perfectly. Jason did the math right on the rear shock size, when the leafs are at full droop, the shocks are also at full droop.

What a difference compared to the stock crap, the rear end now keeps up with the Donahoes up front and the truck feels awesome and sits perfectly level. Quality products 100%.
couldn't agree more. i just had the same setup (Donahoe's and TC UCA's up front and Deaver 12 leaf and Bilstein 7100's on the rear) put on my truck last week at Demello's and the ride is sweet! can't wait to get off road - hopefully this weekend!!

#6 ·
I've been running the Deaver 10s for a while now and love the way the ride. My only complaint (which is actually good for wheeling) is that they are too soft. My D-cab is very easy to bottom out if there is anyone in the back and I hit a good dip. But when you get them off road there's no comparing them. They are like butter when driving over the rough stuff.

But I think I might have my pack rebuilt to 12 leaf and see if that helps. I plan on running more gear when taking trips and I don't want the rear sagging.

One other thing. Make sure you put a good coat of paint on the u-bolts. They will rust if you don't... trust me..

#7 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:

Cool, do you have pictures? Did you weld new mounts on?

#8 ·
05 taco access cab said:
for sure post up some pics. i am wanting to do the same to my 05 in the rear. what did it cost you?
here are some pics of my 05 with donahoes, deaver 10 pack, and bilstein 5100s.

05taco said:
ok heres some pics of the install.

before

after

#11 ·
scottB said:
What was your goal pay-load with the 12 leaf deavers?
Did you need to get longer brake lines?
Thanks for posting.
Where are the Pics?
i wanted a little more lift, i didn't want it too soft or any sagging. i always have 2 or 3 people in my truck with me as well as 100-150 lbs. of gear when off roading and i hate bottoming out. i did not need longer brake lines (the lines on the '05+'s are pretty long).

#17 ·
cole45 said:
That's interesting because that's not what's in your picture. I see either a 5100 or a 7100 with pin mount, I don't see the adapter there, no need for a picture of that, I've seen it. Nice setup though, I bet it rides great.
I haven't posted any pics of my buddies truck yet. If you are replying to me that is. You can use the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button to make it more obvious as to who you are replying to. :)

I will try to get some pics of his truck up here also. It is a silver access cab TRD.

#18 ·
Anybody know what to do if the rear leafs are too firm on the Deaver 10-leaf '05 pack? Basically when the bed is empty (which is 99% of the time) the rear feels firmer than the front so we're trying to figure out how to soften it up just a bit. We were thinking to pull out a leaf or two and then maybe throw in some airbags for towing/hauling. If we were going to pull out some leaves which ones should we remove, middle, top, bottom etc?

#19 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Anybody know what to do if the rear leafs are too firm on the Deaver 10-leaf '05 pack? Basically when the bed is empty (which is 99% of the time) the rear feels firmer than the front so we're trying to figure out how to soften it up just a bit. We were thinking to pull out a leaf or two and then maybe throw in some airbags for towing/hauling. If we were going to pull out some leaves which ones should we remove, middle, top, bottom etc?
I'd like to hear the answer to that too... most of the time I don't have anything in the bed, so I don't want it too firm. But SP Jon said that his bottoms out with his 10-pack with only 2 people in the back of the cab! And then the other guy's 12 might be a bit too much for me... Wonder what an 11-pack would be like?! :D

#20 ·
jc3835 said:
I'd like to hear the answer to that too... most of the time I don't have anything in the bed, so I don't want it too firm. But SP Jon said that his bottoms out with his 10-pack with only 2 people in the back of the cab! And then the other guy's 12 might be a bit too much for me... Wonder what an 11-pack would be like?! :D
Who is SP Jon? My buddies truck with two people in front and some gear in the bed (two mountain bikes and riding gear ~ 100 lbs) still rides fairly firm. It's not bad at all but with the Donahoes up front and no sway-bar the rear is still firmer than the front and we'd like to get both ends feeling as similar as possible.

#21 ·
jc3835 said:
But SP Jon said that his bottoms out with his 10-pack with only 2 people in the back of the cab! And then the other guy's 12 might be a bit too much for me... Wonder what an 11-pack would be like?! :D
It actually bottoms out pretty easily with 3 people total in the car, 2 in front 1 in the rear. If I have 4 people or 5 people in my truck then I look like a pre-runner truck. With 5 I catually think there's less than 1" before I hit the bumpstops.

I have talked to Deaver and they will rework my pack adding another leaf and adding about .5" of lift in the rear. I plan on doing this in the June or July.

#22 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Who is SP Jon? My buddies truck with two people in front and some gear in the bed (two mountain bikes and riding gear ~ 100 lbs) still rides fairly firm. It's not bad at all but with the Donahoes up front and no sway-bar the rear is still firmer than the front and we'd like to get both ends feeling as similar as possible.
Is your buddy's truck a '05/'06 or a pre '05?

#23 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Sean, meet SP Jon... just another member who posted a reply to your thread. :)

#24 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Sean, it's only a guess, but I would say remove the lowest leaf and try that, that being the most conservative option. You may also be able to reduce the valving on your shocks. Also, try the "hybrid" view for posts, it's easier to see who's posting and responding to which post.

I'm in the process of doing a similar thing to the rear end, only I plan on mounting some shock mounts to the frame to get a little more travel. What are you doing with your stock bumpstops? the 10 pack takes up quit a bit of real estate on top of the axle imho.

#26 ·
cole45 said:
Sean, it's only a guess, but I would say remove the lowest leaf and try that, that being the most conservative option. You may also be able to reduce the valving on your shocks. Also, try the "hybrid" view for posts, it's easier to see who's posting and responding to which post.

I'm in the process of doing a similar thing to the rear end, only I plan on mounting some shock mounts to the frame to get a little more travel. What are you doing with your stock bumpstops? the 10 pack takes up quit a bit of real estate on top of the axle imho.
We reused the stock bumps, I thought about shaving them some but haven't done anything as of yet. The lowest leaf is so small it seems like removing it wouldn't do much but maybe it would make just the right amount of difference?

I thought about shock valving, and I know it isn't ideal as Donahoe is making their own shock that is "better" than the 7100, but I'd imagine that the 7100's shouldn't be too far from ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.