TTORA Forum banner

Sand dune / desert runner / general offroad and DD setup

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Wainiha 
#1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a 2001 tacoma double cab 3.4L sr5 TRD with auto trans and have a few questions. I want to use the truck to get my wife and kids around in the snow when her little scion would have trouble, and I want to throw my bikes and other random crap in the back to go to ride. But mostly I want to be able to do general offroading, mostly cruise around at the dunes. What setup Is best for that? I have a some money to put into it but I don't have 10k sitting around to drop into it either haha. I am pretty mechanically inclined.

I want to put the 33 x 12.5 x 15 wrangler duratracs on it unless that size is a bad idea. Gear change?

I had a 98 4runner that was pretty much stock and I had a lot of fun on the dunes with it.

So anyway what kind of setup is the best for dunes as well as general offroading?

Please don't flame, I really have been looking around trying to find answers.

#3 ·
I think you'll end up wanting a gear swap with those size of tires in the sand. If I regear from 4.10 I'd go 4.88 with 33s. (I have a manual 3.4)

Also a suspension lift with a little body one too. Maybe clearance the fenders instead of the body lift. 33s won't fit at stock height.

A used supercharger and fuel mods could be done for $2500....

#4 ·
Thanks a bunch for your reply, I really appreciate the input!

I was thinking of re-gearing to 4.88, that seems to be what everyone likes with the 33's.

with the suspension lift, does a standard lift like old man emu or a rough country 3" work well, or do i need to go to something like a total chaos? Besides the difference of body and suspension lifts, I literally know nothing about how lifts work or the different types.

I would eventually like to supercharge, but that will be down the road after the lift, re-gearing, new duratracs, new bumpers, and a winch :)

#6 ·
Any bolt in coilover will be just fine for the front end (king, icon, racerunner, bilstein, ect) that will provide you with about a 2-2.5" lift up front. As for the rear grab a set of lift springs. Each spring will have a different style of setup. Get a direct replacement as you're not building a race truck. You can get an add a leaf kit which will add a bit of lift and allow for good towing as well. You can get a replacement pack from deaver that replaces all your springs and will have better flex, but no longer has an overload leaf so towing will suffer, alcan makes both a full replacement kit and an add kit. Rear springs just figure out what your plan on towing is. Any of these rear springs will be awesome. Pick a good set of shocks for the rear as it will make your ride much nicer. again same brands as listed above for the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.