TTORA Forum banner

Anyone have trouble waxing a white Tacoma?

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  basemodel4x427 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im having an awful time trying to get the shine back on my 05 Tacoma, its the white color and it has a chalky look to it, i have tried several types of wax even meguirs white wax specifically for white vehicles with no luck, still has a hazy look to it, I have owned mulitple vehicles over my life and have never had such problems on anything but the white ones i have owned, my wifes white nissan is the same way. What am i missing Clay bar? polishing first? Any tips or things you guys have done to get the shine back on your white trucks ?

#4 ·
BLUF: Compound with a fine cut cleaner with a variable speed polisher (VSP) and compounding pad, switch pads and polish with the VSP, then hand wax.

Your paint is fading, weathering or has oxidation (all the same). Clay bar is a waste of time in your situation. Clay bars are for minor imperfections in the paint. I would only clay bar if my paint did not feel smooth, with the back of my hand, after compounding and polishing. To achieve the best shine, you will need a VSP. If your paint is really bad, you could wet sand with 1000 grit or finer, compound, then polish with a VSP. All will be a multiple step process to achieve the desired results.

Your best resource is to find an automotive paint supply shop by your house and ask them to take a look at your paint. They will point you to the correct products you will need for the job.

#6 ·
So much misinformation out there. Claying a vehicle is ALWAYS the first step and removes the gritty rough feeling paint develops over time. Then, go down to Walmart or Autozone and buy your self a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Follow the instructions by hand, or polish by machine (Dual Action Polisher). Then... let the rest of that Meguiar's White Wax do it's job... which is solely to protect that finish. If you have any questions fire away. Pics always help too.

Brian
(I work at Meguiar's)

#7 · (Edited)
really really awesome wax

take all the advice above, then add collinite wax, i prefer no.845 insulator wax.

havent washed it in i dunno. 2 years? maybe 3? wax still shines. might not bead tho lol. but the killer part is its salt resistant and uv resistant and polishes into glass thats hard as a diamond. safe on plastic. and not even tar and pine sap stay on it for long

http://www.collinite.com

stuffs awesome, just dont do more than a panel at a time, it'll go pastie quick and its a bitch to buff out cause its so hard.

oh yea mines white too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.