TTORA Forum banner

Rust

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  alabamatacomaguy 
#1 ·
I just bought an 08 cruiser with only 37k miles. Today I noticed the underneath seems quite rusty. Is this normal? Also I noticed a shimmy in the steering when I hit bumps, are fj cruisers prone to death wobble? So far everything is stock.:confused:

#3 ·
It is not llifted yet. Was looking at putting on a 3 inch bilstein. Not sure if your familiar with Death Wobble, but it occurs when something is out of wack in front and hitting a bump at high speeds can cause to go into a violent shimmy. The only way to get it to stop is to pull over and stop.

#7 ·
under body rust has as much to do with where you live as anything. If you live up north where the roads are salted for the winter then you have a up-hill battle ahead. If thats the case I would pressure wash it very well and then cover in an undercarriage protector, maybe even just spray wd40 or a think oil all under to keep salt at bay.

Then when you have lots of time pressure wash it very good. Paint with a rust protectant and paint of your choice and then cover in oil as well.

Toyotas are famous for having weakness to rust but everything newer than 1980 has thinner sheetmetal that rusts faster. With toyota everything else lasts longer so its more common to see a good running toyota with rust holes in the floor.

its late ill revist this tomorrow to clean up my post and fix things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.