TTORA Forum banner

My bed/roof rack build

34K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  dsal_86Yota 
#1 · (Edited)
Please not: I rolled the truck literally days after finishing this. I have rebuilt it. Pics and info and the next page.

Hey all, just thought id post up my first every fabrication project. First time welder as well.

Id really like to thank my dad tho for helping me learn and put this together.

i decided i wanted a bed rack and RTT about last august after seeing how nice RTTs were. Then i caught a glimpse of Allpros Baja build and their bed/roof rack set up. I loved it. so i thought id just buy it untill i was told they didn't sell the roof top part.

so then i started doing searching on here, TW and Expo. Saw many many great racks but nothing like the roof rack from Allpro. So i said screw it, downloaded sketchup(great little program btw) and make up my own design!

i came up with this initially.

after i was pretty happy with the design i set about making it happen. took a while to find the time and space to do it. But i now have access to an amazing shop so it was time to get it done!

here is how its going thus far!

Lower frame..

Front supports

other supports..

cross bars..

main beams!

and here it is so far off the truck for final welding!

And here are some of my welds..not bad for my first time :welder:

I am really enjoying it so far! Have to cap off the tubes, do a big more final welds and grinding then ill knock out the roof part!

See less See more
#35 ·
im in college, i can't afford full coverage, was my fault anyways so wouldn't help.

as for changing i thought it was too high at first..but after that trip i liked it at that height. Im tall and i could used the rear view mirror still.

i was gonna add some LED light bard to fire down into the bed and side ways and rear. A CB mount, and som tie down adjustable rails as well as a new upper brake light were next for it.

i still have the whole thing and everthing other then the roof part is salvageable ease. So i will keep it pretty much the same.

i was really happy with it. Was very stout and looked great. Hell i could stand in the roof rack and it would hardly move. I think i'll still add some more gussets to the whole thing tho in general.

i was VERY glad i moved the main beams more towards the center. Made bed access great.

and yes, was very depressing to have just finished it and roll it..saved the cab tho..sorta, enought that it was driveable instead of crushed. I was/am still pretty sad i half killed my baby..oh well.

i need a new bed ASAP but can live with the beat cab for a while. Ill eventually repaint it back to the Cool Metallic sliver too.

was considering a full expo cage bed..but i have a new custom tire swing plate bumper with wrap arounds coming soon that cost a small fortune..so id like to use that.

#40 ·
Shit! not bad!

#44 ·
Was crossing the crack on Seven Mile Rim trail and my front wheel snapped over and spun the steering wheel so hard and fast my hand flew off it into the A pillar of the truck. Broke my ring and middle finder about 3/4 way down my hand, spiral fractures.

heres more pics of the rack!

#45 ·
Yeah I was surprised how hard that crack grabbed the tire when i tried it... even at such a slow speed! i could totally see how it broke your hand. Also, for future, that crack on seven mile is called "silver crack". Lurry corrected me on fb a while back.... hhahaha

#48 ·
Thought I'd update this now that I rebuilt it. Made some changes. The cross parts are even. I added LED side bars too it as well. And on top of that I made the front hella 500s fold down as the wind drag was so killer last time. I also added a CB antenna mount.

So here ya go.

#51 ·
Looks good Blackdawg!

#59 ·
Just found this build. Awesome build. Been thinking of building something like yours for my 86 xcab. Sucks you rolled it, Silver looked good but the new cab and bed color look great. Any more updates?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.