TTORA Forum banner

Dealership not releasing truck?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
Has anyone here purchased a used vehicle that has an outstanding TSB issue and the dealer refused to release the truck until it was fixed?

Seems legit, and really do I support this.

Now, have you been in that situation with a NEW TSB, where there was no solution yet and no projected date for a solution? If so, how did you get your vehicle?

#2 ·
It all depends on if you've paid for the truck. If you have then you have a cause for action and they'd at least have to either fix and give you the truck or give you your money back on demand.

Has anyone here purchased a used vehicle that has an outstanding TSB issue and the dealer refused to release the truck until it was fixed?

Seems legit, and really do I support this.

Now, have you been in that situation with a NEW TSB, where there was no solution yet and no projected date for a solution? If so, how did you get your vehicle?

#3 ·
Hey Dick,

I went to the dealership. Apparently they haven't sent any of the paperwork forward, so it is more like a purchase order at this time. It's pretty frustrating, but I understand where they are coming from with people suing them if something happened (not me, but if something happens and another person is involved).

They (a very large automotive sales group) just had a large conference call yesterday and were told not to sell/release any vehicles (even to auction) with outstanding recalls that had the potential to cause death, fire, etc.

So that means my truck is in storage until Toyota gets a fix for the new TSB for the rear suspension.

I will probably continue looking for another truck, but it will be pretty difficult to find an 8 year old truck that looks brand new with service records every 5k miles.

#4 ·
So I take it they don't have your money. In that case they are in control and you have to either be patient and wait or look elsewhere. Be sure to tell them if you're calling a halt to the deal.

What's the deal with the rear suspension? It's so damn simple it can't be very complicated.

Hey Dick,

I went to the dealership. Apparently they haven't sent any of the paperwork forward, so it is more like a purchase order at this time. It's pretty frustrating, but I understand where they are coming from with people suing them if something happened (not me, but if something happens and another person is involved).

They (a very large automotive sales group) just had a large conference call yesterday and were told not to sell/release any vehicles (even to auction) with outstanding recalls that had the potential to cause death, fire, etc.

So that means my truck is in storage until Toyota gets a fix for the new TSB for the rear suspension.

I will probably continue looking for another truck, but it will be pretty difficult to find an 8 year old truck that looks brand new with service records every 5k miles.

#5 ·
Here is the official notification:

SUMMARY:
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner and 4x4 vehicles manufactured September 14, 2009, to October 11, 2010. In the affected vehicles, one of the leaf springs may fracture due to stress or corrosion. While being driven, the broken leaf could move out of position and contact surrounding components including the fuel tank, possibly puncturing the tank and causing a fuel leak.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the fuel tank leaks fuel from being punctured, there is an increased risk of a fire.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The interim notices are expected to be sent out in late November 2014. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
I am willing to wait, up to a point. Toyota still doesn't know what is going to happen or when solutions will be in place. I was told that Toyota was looking at replacing the affected spring packs with new 4-leaf packs. But that was 2nd hand info, so I can't verify its accuracy.

I would like to install a retention clip if for some reason the spring does break, then it won't be able to rotate and hit the fuel tank. Someone mentioned that Toyota started doing this on 2012 Tacomas and up. I've been out of the game and haven't been following anything, so I don't know if that is true. That would solve my problem, but I don't think they would go for it since it would not be an official fix.

#6 ·
Is that all? I can't see the hold up in changing silly ass leaf springs, someone isn't trying very hard. So how is it a big problem all of a sudden anyway, I seem to recall people busting leaf springs right along from the very get go.

Hell you'll probably swap them out for Chey springs at some point anyway.

Here is the official notification:

I am willing to wait, up to a point. Toyota still doesn't know what is going to happen or when solutions will be in place. I was told that Toyota was looking at replacing the affected spring packs with new 4-leaf packs. But that was 2nd hand info, so I can't verify its accuracy.

I would like to install a retention clip if for some reason the spring does break, then it won't be able to rotate and hit the fuel tank. Someone mentioned that Toyota started doing this on 2012 Tacomas and up. I've been out of the game and haven't been following anything, so I don't know if that is true. That would solve my problem, but I don't think they would go for it since it would not be an official fix.

#9 ·
I also just sent this e-mail to try to get it released:

Hi Sheryl,

I came across some interesting documentation in regards to the recall for the Toyota. I attached the two documents for reference. The two main parts I was looking at are as follows:

In document RCMN-14V604-1797, on the first page in the section titled "Pre-Owned Vehicles in Dealer Inventory", it states that "unless prohibited by your state's law, dealers can deliver un-remedied, pre-owned vehicles if they disclose to the customer that the vehicle is subject to a Safety Recall and Toyota will send them a notification when the remedy is available". It also states that the dealer should do a visual inspection (which has been done) to ensure the vehicle does not have the condition covered by the Safety Recall (which is does not).

In document RCMN-14V604-5819, under Section 6, it mentioned an original remedy of adding a clip to the spring pack (starting in Oct 2010). In case of a broken spring, this clip will keep the broken spring from potentially shifting out of position and possibly creating secondary damage. It also stated that no vehicles experienced any secondary damage after the clips started being installed.

I am not trying to be a pain in the neck. If I had this information before, I would have passed it on to Gary before his big conference call. I am just wondering if having a Toyota Dealership add this clip to the spring packs be a viable solution in the eyes of the decision makers? It would be much appreciated if you could have this brought forward.

As a side note, it sounds like Toyota is trying to get initial notifications out on Nov 28th.

Thank you for your time.

Opp

#10 ·
thought you were dead :p

just buy a set of aftermarket springs, drop them off with the dealer and tell them you'll pick up the truck when they are done. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.