TTORA Forum banner

"Bump" felt when shifting into 5th gear.

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jessevic 
#1 ·
I purchased a used '03 tacoma (5 speed manual) 4x4 TRD with 25000 miles. I noticed immediately that there was a little "bump" that I could feel through the steering wheel as I let off the clutch after shifting into 5th gear (only 5th). Shifting through all the others is very smooth. I have driven it for about 6 months now and the "bump" seemed to have gone away. I attributed this to improved shifting on my party (learning curve) I had it in the dealership for recall procedure and asked them to take a look at the transmission. I told them what was going on but they said everything was fine. I pulled a trailer with 4 wheeler yesterday and now the "bump" is back. What do you think this is.

#2 ·
pharmvet said:
I purchased a used '03 tacoma (5 speed manual) 4x4 TRD with 25000 miles. I noticed immediately that there was a little "bump" that I could feel through the steering wheel as I let off the clutch after shifting into 5th gear (only 5th). Shifting through all the others is very smooth. I have driven it for about 6 months now and the "bump" seemed to have gone away. I attributed this to improved shifting on my party (learning curve) I had it in the dealership for recall procedure and asked them to take a look at the transmission. I told them what was going on but they said everything was fine. I pulled a trailer with 4 wheeler yesterday and now the "bump" is back. What do you think this is.
I'm not sure what it is but my truck bumps when i go into 5th gear, always has since i've owned it. Sometimes it is worse than others depending on what rpm I shift at.

#3 ·
all this sounds like is RPM drop. if you get your engine rpms closer to the driveline rpm then you wont notice it. that and you will get alot more life out of your clutch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.