TTORA Forum banner

Loud squeeking

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  partyman66 
#1 ·
my 98 taco started to squeek the other day and its getting worse, at first i thought it was a wheel bearing but then i noticed when i pushed the clutch in it stoped. I think it might be something wrong with my tranny but im not sure, if any can help it would be great thanks.

#3 ·
my truck makes the noise also...it used to all the time...esp during wet conditions...and as you describe you touch the clutch and the noise goes away...

i have no clue what it is...but i don't think you have to worry about it too much....that sound came up when i went though some water last time i went off-roading...

it might be something you clutch being wet or something...i wouldn't worry about it too much..mine went away..

#17 ·
This sounds possible.... Although if it makes the noise when running in gear I would have to wonder if it could really be the throwout bearing since the only time that bearing should be in use is when you are pushing in the clutch pedal.

#5 ·
i checked all the oil levels and they are at normal levels, i havent been off road in weeks and i havent driven through any water lately so i doubt thats it and ill replace my throw out bearing saturday and ill see if it stops thanks for all the help.

#7 ·
you do realize you have to remove the transmission to replace the throw out bearing

#6 ·
turn up your radio and it will go away

#8 ·
If the noise stops as soon as you just touch the clutch pedal, here is the fix for it. I have seen and fixed this problem on several tacoma's. It is the throw out bearing linkage, mine did the same thing; here is what I did to stop it. I adjusted the clutch rod between the pedal and the master cylinder just enough to apply a slight pressure on the throw out bearing linkage; it only takes a little bit of adjustment, I think one turn on the rod fixed mine.

#9 ·
^^^^
Yes, doing that will make the noise stop temporarily.... You do realize the throw-out bearing is not designed to ride on the pressure plate continuously right? When adjusted properly, the bearing is almost touching the pressure plate as it is. By adjusting the rod like you said, the throw-out bearing will be toast in a matter of months and make a much worst noise. The only real fix for this problem is replacement and lubrication of all pivot points during assembly or live with the noise..

#10 ·
Just so you are aware, almost every Tacoma throwout bearing rides on the pressure plate at all times. There is enough pressure in the hydraulics to keep it pushed again the plate even with the pedal properly adjusted. However over adjusting the pedal for the added pressure will likely cause the bearing to fail sooner.

#11 ·
My 97 did the same exact thing. I just pulled the lil boot back on the transmission by the slave cylinder and shot some lube in there. Been gone for about 6 months now. I only lubed it twice.

#16 ·
cant ya just pull back the rubber boot and spray it with wd40 or some other lubricant :dunno:

#18 ·
Do you lube up your grease fittings on the drivetrain(double-cardan, U-Joints, and driveshafts)?

If those need grease, they will squeak... and sometimes only when under load.. which could be why it goes away when you push the clutch in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.