TTORA Forum banner

Front Locker

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  FJFOOL 
#1 ·
So, running IFS, how many of you have front lockers, what kind, and have you got real proficient at changing axles ? I know it depends on how hard you throttle up, just curious. Thanks !!

#2 ·
If your going to buy one go with ARB, since it is easy to turn on and off you can turn it off when not needed and when your rear locker doesn't work just turn the front on to get you out and turn it back off. If you run a all time locker you will be breaking CV's like crazy. You could always go with RCV axles and a all time locker but I would be afraid of the diff blowing before those things break....but by then you would have spent enough to go solid axle almost. My :2cents: if you have pushed your truck to the max limit of the IFS and rear locker you should probably start saving for a SAS.

#3 ·
If you run a all time locker you will be breaking CV's like crazy.

This is false. I ran a Lockright in my IFS front end for 3 years. Took it through the Hammers, Arizona, Moab, and the Rubicon.. I made it 2 years without any CV breaks. After that, the locker failed and was running like a spool. That's when I'd throw a CV or two nearly every trip.

#8 ·
Bet I could'a busted it for ya. LOL
Did you have a crawl box? I guess you could say I was cheating because I had low gears to help me bust shit up. All I had to do was crank the wheel over and blip the throttle in low gear and with it locked up and a CV axle was instant toast.
I got pretty good at swapping them out too, I had it down to about 30 min. But then came that one CV axle too far and out came the gas axe and that was that for the IFS.

#12 ·
Well if you're driving you might want to haul it back with you. Shipping Tcases around ain't cheap. It cost me a stinkin fortune to get Marlin to overnight a Tcase to Moab for me once.

Depending on where it is in Cali you might think about letting Marlin build the crawl box for ya. It cost a little more for sure but he doesn't miss much and he builds all sorts of little upgrades into it as they go. However a liberal dose of patience is usually required. They're never in much of a hurry.
Are you going with the 4.7 low or are you running a slush box?

#19 ·
I think it depends on where you live a lot too. You don't really want to be driving around in snow and ice with a locker engaged. That's one of the reasons I prefer selectables over the auto lockers. Then there is the issue of steering on some surfaces like the slick rock at Moab.
If they'd had the ARB avaliable when I was still IFS, I would have had one instead of the Lockright.

Since I swapped, I wound up with OX lockers front and rear but I electrified them since I don't care for Telflex cables either.

I like the OX over the ARB because they won't leak air cause there is none and I can force them locked or unlocked with simple hand tools in a matter of minutes out on the trail without busting the diff open. Something you can't do with an ARB. Unfortunately the OX is not an option with a Toy axle. Pretty much a Dana only thing.

If you do the ARB thing, I suggest putting in some tanks and getting a Viair or something instead of the ARB compressor. With the say 5 gals of tank, you should have enough air capacity to run the locker for an afternoon from the tanks alone. All you need to add is an small regulator and filter unit for the lockers and you'll have more air for your tires too.

#18 ·
As pointed out, it depends on your tire size, driving style, and terrain. You can keep a locked up IFS rig together, just let off the throttle when it is all bound up. ARB Air Lockers are great, only use them when you need and don't worry about them otherwise. Plus they give you a compressor for when you need to air up tires.

#21 ·
I had a detroit truetrac in my ifs front and loved it. on the road you couldn't even tell it was there. offroad It wasn't too harsh on Cv's yet you could still get it to lock up, even with a tire off the ground. If I was to ever spend money on a traction aid for ifs again it would probably be a trurtrac. After you spend the money on a arb, compressor and install that's a good start on a sas.

#22 ·
A friend recommended a lsd, and after some searching I think I will go with the detroit tru trac. Running 33" tires, with the e-locker in the rear it should do pretty well. Advise appreciated, guys !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.