TTORA Forum banner

Front TrueTrac fitment on a Tacoma Question

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
I was going to ask a long question comparing the Aussie Locker to the true trac, but let's settle this out first.

I have not seen the Tacoma listed as being a viable option for the Trutrac installation on any websites. I even went to Detriot's homepage and downloaded there application listing, and they do not list a Tacoma front differential option.
Thinking that it's the same 7.5" differential asthe older Toyotas, just flipped over (as I read somewhere) I email Tractech about it. Here is the response:.

You have MUCH of this wrong, let me clarify:

I currently own a 1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4, and would like this product for
a front axle application.
Currently I see that an application for the Tacoma is not listed. Although
I believe the front differential is the same mechanically as the previous
generation Toyota Pickup, in that it's a 7.5" 27 spline application. Which
I see you do currently support.

I do not believe the Tacoma and the older Toyotas use the same 7.5 front diff, I have had no one in the know express that to me.

My understanding in the difference is that
the differential rotation direction has been reversed for the Tacoma
application. While I understand that the gear-type Limited Slip
Differential action will only provide the limited slip benefit in one
direction, making the application of it to the Tacoma only effective in
reverse.

Reverse rotation axles have to do with the ring and pinion being cut in a different direction. If you think about it the carrier MUST turn in the same direction as the tires also every limited slip I have ever heard of works in both forward and reverse.

My question concerns one of tooling. You currently have all of the tooling
necessary to produce this differential. After a successful production run
from 1995.5 - current (almost ten years!) there is a huge potential market
of vehicles currently in service and, now that they aren't new anymore,
being used for 4x4ing. Not to mention the benefits to snow-belt owners
(like myself in MN). The reason I'd like a True Trac is that most of us
snow-belt people are too afraid of ill-handling effects on snow to install a
real locker in either the front or rear differntial on the truck, as it's
used as my daily driver.

We are working on Tacoma applications but it will still be some time before they are released.

Brent Bussell
Tractech INC.
Senior Account Administrator
Application Technician
bbussell@tractech.com <mailto:bbussell@tractech.com>
800-328-3850 Toll Free
248-776-5712 Direct
248-776-5792 Direct Fax
248-776-5700 Local
Then I go and find this message board, which seems to have several members who are, or have in the past run TrueTracs in the front differential.

My question is for those of you that have used it. Which part numbers did you use.
How did you know it was gong to work. Did you have to do anything modifications to get it to fit/work in the tacoma appplication, or did it bolt up like normal.

I plan on forwarding the information you provide me to Brent Bussell at TracTech to hopefully speed up the process of getting this sanctioned for official use, and using this information in helping me decide whether to go with the True Trac or the Aussie Locker in the front differential of my truck.

See less See more
#3 ·
joeylead said:
check out this link,

http://www.jawsgear.net/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_193_252

I was looking for the same thing and came up with this. It says it is for the tacoma (previous screen) 7.5" diff, but doesnt specify reverse rotation or not.
Except when I go to the previous screen here
http://www.jawsgear.net/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_193
And click on "T100 & Tacoma" (which is a link in itself, not a heading under 7.5")
http://www.jawsgear.net/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_193_255
I get a message that says
"There are no products to list in this category."

#4 ·
Screw the Tractech There was on in this Runner and I caint stand it. When I get the money im going with a lockright or a full locker. There is nothing worse in the world knowing both front tires should be spinning and they don't.

#6 ·
SEAN_at_TLT said:
The Tacoma front diff is not "reverse-rotation" it is a high-pinion and therefore it uses reverse-cut gears. The 7.5" Truetrac intended for the older trucks should work fine...

Thanks Sean, That's the most helpful post I've seen so far.
Now I just want to hear from people who've actually had one installed.

And "Stomper", I'm leary of going with a locker due to living in MN and driving on ICE and Snow all winter.
And my "wheeling" with the truck being limited to vacation time.

#8 ·
kytann said:
I was going to ask a long question comparing the Aussie Locker to the true trac, but let's settle this out first.

I have not seen the Tacoma listed as being a viable option for the Trutrac installation on any websites. I even went to Detriot's homepage and downloaded there application listing, and they do not list a Tacoma front differential option.
Thinking that it's the same 7.5" differential asthe older Toyotas, just flipped over (as I read somewhere) I email Tractech about it. Here is the response:.

Then I go and find this message board, which seems to have several members who are, or have in the past run TrueTracs in the front differential.

My question is for those of you that have used it. Which part numbers did you use.
How did you know it was gong to work. Did you have to do anything modifications to get it to fit/work in the tacoma appplication, or did it bolt up like normal.

I plan on forwarding the information you provide me to Brent Bussell at TracTech to hopefully speed up the process of getting this sanctioned for official use, and using this information in helping me decide whether to go with the True Trac or the Aussie Locker in the front differential of my truck.
Actually the part #s for both front and rear application are on the Tractech site ;)
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/articles/TT-List-LTPM1004.pdf (right click and save as)

911A342 for the front ( I checked my old invoice...same part #)
913A541 for the rear 8.4 (non-TRD)

I ran the front TT for about 2 yrs. It is a great unit for a LSD. It will not totaly "lock up", however, but rather transfers about a 60/40 split in torque to the front wheels. BUT, like any LSD, when you have one tire airborn it will spin and you need to apply some brake to get the other side to 'grab'. I never was able to master this with my 2.7 5-sp so swapped it out for an ARB.

The TT was frankly just as good as my ARB in the snow and offers great stability w/o pulling you down hill on off-camber stuff. It's rocky trails (big rocks) that the weakness came out. All other conditions it was fine...snow, mud, loose gravel.

I sold mine to someone in your neck of the woods ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.