TTORA Forum banner

Using 12V batteries for trail repair welding

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  crawler#976 
#1 · (Edited)
We had the opportunity to do some trail repairs this weekend on an 85 Runner. Thought I'd post up the equipment we used to fix a broken steering J-arm. As with any trail repair, this should be considered a temporary fix and the repaired part replaced before your next trip.

EQUIPMENT

1. Went to my local welding shop and asked for a selection of the most versatile rod they had in a variety of sizes. Ended up w/ 24 rods from 1/8" thru 5/32" dia.

2. A split apart set of 16' x #4 jumper cables for lead and ground.

3. Made up two 24" x #4 cables w/ terminal ends to link up batteries.

4. A #12 picture window lens for eye protection. A set of welding goggles is a good option too...

5. Work gloves.

6. Fire extinguisher.

BATTERIES -YOU MUST MONITOR BATTERY TEMPS TO AVOID BOILING THE ACID AND POSSIBLY CAUSING AN EXPLOSION

1. Optima’s or other gel type batteries are the best. Standard plate type batteries heat up much faster.

2. Two batteries hooked up for 24V will usually strike an arc w/ the 1/8" rod. It can be difficult the get a weld started, but once it starts, it'll burn OK. Trimming off the shielding from the rod tip helps get it going.

Three batteries hooked up for 36V will burn a 5/32-rod with ease. Trimming off the shielding from the rod tip helps strike the arc.

HOOKUPS:

For 24V:

Hook up ground cable to battery #1 negative, positive from bat #1 to negative post bat #2, positive bat #2 to welding lead.

For 36V:

Hook up ground cable to battery #1 negative, positive from bat #1 to negative post bat #2, positive from bat #2 to negative post bat #3, positive bat #3 to welding lead.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey! that is some good stuff there! How much would you say your trail welding set up cost overall?

#3 · (Edited)
already had jumper cables $0.0
already had a #12 lens (used) $0.0
already had gloves $0.0
already carry a Fire extinguisher $0.0
welding rod selection $7.50
#4 Cable @ $1.00 per foot = $4.00
4 clamp type battery terminals @ $1.39 ea = $5.56

so, I spent about $18.00 plus tax for the junk required.

#4 ·
thanks! Just visualizing building my own trail welder. So your info was extremely helpful and timely!

#7 ·
crawler#976 said:
We had the opportunity to do some trail repairs this weekend on an 85 Runner. Thought I'd post up the equipment we used to fix a broken steering J-arm. As with any trail repair, this should be considered a temporary fix and the repaired part replaced before your next trip.

EQUIPMENT

1. Went to my local welding shop and asked for a selection of the most versatile rod they had in a variety of sizes. Ended up w/ 24 rods from 1/8" thru 5/32" dia.

2. A split apart set of 16' x #4 jumper cables for lead and ground.

3. Made up two 24" x #4 cables w/ terminal ends to link up batteries.

4. A #12 picture window lens for eye protection. A set of welding goggles is a good option too...

5. Work gloves.

6. Fire extinguisher.

BATTERIES -YOU MUST MONITOR BATTERY TEMPS TO AVOID BOILING THE ACID AND POSSIBLY CAUSING AN EXPLOSION

1. Optima’s or other gel type batteries are the best. Standard plate type batteries heat up much faster.

2. Two batteries hooked up for 24V will usually strike an arc w/ the 1/8" rod. It can be difficult the get a weld started, but once it starts, it'll burn OK. Trimming off the shielding from the rod tip helps get it going.

Three batteries hooked up for 36V will burn a 5/32-rod with ease. Trimming off the shielding from the rod tip helps strike the arc.

HOOKUPS:

For 24V:

Hook up ground cable to battery #1 negative, positive from bat #1 to negative post bat #2, positive bat #2 to welding lead.

For 36V:

Hook up ground cable to battery #1 negative, positive from bat #1 to negative post bat #2, positive from bat #2 to negative post bat #3, positive bat #3 to welding lead.

reminds of Moab a few years ago when there were no welding goggles so the norcal crew used about 10 pair of sunglasses :welder:

#8 ·
That was sweet to watch. Makes me never wanna wheel without that kind of stuff again. Our other idea might have worked for a bit, but welding was WAY better! That guy was lucky you came along. Nice Job

#9 ·
99TACO said:
reminds of Moab a few years ago when there were no welding goggles so the norcal crew used about 10 pair of sunglasses :welder:
We have since graduated to Readywelders and actual welding helmets! :D

Later,
....Mike

#13 ·
nice good work. yep if you keep going you will get some pretty high voltages. i guess that could be an excuse to have 3 batteries mounted in your truck lol

#14 ·
Mike said:
We have since graduated to Readywelders and actual welding helmets! :D

Later,
....Mike

Every time I see that picture of Chuck I laugh my ass off...

And I also try to figure out WHO's glasses are WHERE on his head. Looks like the side of Todd's face in the pic, and Im thinking maybe those are Todd's glasses facing out. The other two shades look identical...much like the cheapie Grainger safety sunglasses I wear at work....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.