TTORA Forum banner

Air bag light on???

8K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  southerntaco98 
#1 ·
So I go and start the truck as normal yesterday on my way to a job site and my airbag light stays on. I pulled over and shut the truck off and turn it back on and it stays off like normal. Then this morning on the way to work, I notice it is on again, while waiting at a stop light, I turn the truck off and back on and it stays off. I called Toyota and they said that it neds to come in for a diagnostic, thats $75 right there. I am thinking of pulling the ECU fuse and reset the computer. Would this maybe work? The truck was rearended about a month ago, but it just now popped up. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
To be fair - a persistently 'ON' passenger airbag light *can* be a symptom of an actual problem with the SRS system. On the other hand, I've seen multiple reports where electrical gremlins (like a crimped wire or loose connection during a stereo install) have caused the light to come on. Since you've been rear-ended recently, I wouldn't be surprised if something behind the dash started working loose after the impact.

#3 ·
It could just be a gremlin... its quite possible... but it would royally suck to have that thing shoot off cruisin down the highway... or not go off if ur in an accident. A $75 diagonstic sounds like cheap insurance to me...but thats just me.

#4 ·
The only thing is it is $75 for the diagnostic and then what ever it takes to fix it after that.

#5 ·
Airbag crap sucks, but if the light is staying on, there is a problem in the system somewhere. Any number of guesses from this forum are not going to tell you exactly what is wrong. It has to be plugged in. Could be an impact sensor, slip ring, the aribag itself, etc. But theres no way to tell until you have the code. And that usually can only be read by the dealer. If you do happen to correct it out of luck, the light will go out. I ruined the slip ring (thing behind the steering wheel) removing a lift on my 98. I knew what I did and was able to just replace the part and it was fine. But if you haven't done anything electrical lately, bring it in.

#6 ·
Well I went out over lunch and messed around with the truck some, and now the light is working like normal. If I get a chance I'll see if my buddy at the Mercedes dealer can sheck it out. Thanks

#7 ·
mine came on after a stereo install that was like a year ago...
maybe i need to get mine checked too but maybe someday
Mike

#10 ·
Well, I haven't had the problem since yesterday morning and I gave it a good lashing out in the woods last night, so I am thinking it was just a fluke. Thanks for all of your responses.

#11 ·
So I also just put in a sterio, and now my airbag light is on. At first I thought it was just because I didnt plug the seatbelt-check cable back together, but even with it plugged in, its glowing at me. Did anyone ever figure out what is causing this?

I have to go on a roadtrip for christmas and I would feel better if I didnt have to lie to my girlfriend about her airbag.

#13 ·
Hello!

Welp, I'm finally getting this dreaded Air bag light... :confused: Guess, I'll need to bring the beast in to the stDealer... Wonder if I should leave the old Fisher on... <LOL> and shock the shit out of them... Anyone ever get an official dealer resolution/repair on this???

#15 ·
i dont know how old of trucks this will work on, but if you set your odometer on (not trip A or B)then take out your key press and hold the button. then put in your key, turn the truck on, and you will see -------. one by one they will disappear going to the right. once they're gone the system will be reset, and let go, your done. (do this if you ever unplug any sensors fuel/air and it will reset them. that may work

#16 ·
I was in a front end accident about a month ago and ever since I got it back the airbag light comes on for a few seconds when starting the vehicle. I may just be paranoid, but I swear it never used to do that. The airbags did not deploy during the accident. Am I imagining things or is this something I should get checked out?

#17 ·
Chairman Meow said:
I was in a front end accident about a month ago and ever since I got it back the airbag light comes on for a few seconds when starting the vehicle. I may just be paranoid, but I swear it never used to do that. The airbags did not deploy during the accident. Am I imagining things or is this something I should get checked out?
They're supposed to do that to make sure all the lights are working. It's normal. .....Steve

#18 ·
Toyotajoe said:
What code is being flashed by the light? On my '98 you can jump the T1 and E1 (I'm 99% sure they are the right ones) pins of the diagnostic connector under the hood. Light will blink in sequence to give you the code.
I'll give that a go... It only seems to come on after a half an hour of driving...

#19 ·
Fricken Air Bag lights... so did this ever work? Is there a way to read the code without going to the dealer? I've got to eat my words here, $75 for a diagnostic is cheap insurance, but I don't have $75 right now :eek:

#21 ·
Hello In regards to your engine light I have the same problem that has just started today. I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and have 275,000klms on it as this is business truck. I have called one of the best mechanics I know and apparently Toyota is having a problem with the senor light on the front bumper area there are two one on passenger and one for the driver a proper diognostic test would be able to tell which one. This problem is due moisture in that is getting into the senor. Hope that helps

#22 ·
When my airbag light went on, I took it to the dealer, turned out to be the driver's seatbelt retractor. Stupid F***tards ordered the wrong part twice, but finally got the right part and gave me the part free even though the warranty was expired. The did charge me the $150 minimum, but when my battery died on the lift they gave me a new Toyota battery free. Guess they felt bad making me drop the truck off three separate times.

Moral of the story is Toyota will probably replace safety-related items out of warranty, just so you don't sue their a$$es when you crash.

#24 ·
Yea, cuz the odometer is really connected to the Air Bag system...

When doing your stereo, do not disconnect the switch on the sadh panel. Just leave it connected and rotate the plastic out of the way.

I disconnected the switch on my old truck to pull the panel off, and I was left with a light that had a mind of its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.