TTORA Forum banner

Cullowhee Overniter June 16-17

4K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  04 Rocko Taco 
#1 · (Edited)
The boys and I are taking our trucks up to Cullowhee on Saturday morning
to ride Caney Fork, camp out there, and ride Moses Creek back out.
Its a pretty cool place, easy-to-moderate, there are places that require
4x4 to get through.
Anyone want to join us? Its located just NE of Franklin NC, about 2.5 hr
from North Metro.
here's some highlights from an October trip we did:

by request:
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/misterzeez/Caney_NC/

See less See more
#6 ·
i want to go!...but i cant:( this looks like th kind of place i would love. challenging enough to get stuck, but not get stuck ALL the time. could we try to make another trip up there later this year??

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Mike, you wouldnt happen to have any more pics on photobucket of that last trip would ya? i just would like to see more if thats alright

#21 ·
Yeah, looks like I was right, they are definitely making me wqork this weekend... :) So it'll be a quick dash for fathers day, and then work on saturday, i am really bummed about it. :(

#28 ·
I had a conversation with Jason today, he's the dude who goes to school at Western Carolina U, right there, and he showed me these trails. He described another one, just a mile down the road. So we'll be doing some scouting, probably on Sunday. I KNOW there will be at least TWO trips up there this fall, because its absolutely unbelievable to be out there.

#29 ·
tell me early so i can not be working...

#31 ·
afterglow

It was a great trip. The weather cleared out and got almost cold for the camping, and Sunday was gorgeous! The Coppermine road approach to the old bald was more difficult than before, I dont' know why, there were at least 4 challenges that ****** almost did not clear... they took about 4 tries each to find a line.
Then, at 4am, we had some interesting visitors, packing pistols and moonshine... WOO, lets have an adventure!! More details later.
Here's a stitch picture of the campsite. The altimeter said 5400 feet.

#33 ·
How was the trail that you guys were going to scout?

I went to school at Western and spent a LOT of time on those trails. I'm really bummed to hear they might be closed. Actually, I was there this fall and they had a bunch of the gates open that had always been closed. I thought it was a good sign, but I guess not...

#34 · (Edited)
The local 'word' is; there's a new sheriff in town, and he aims to clean things up. There are lots of berms blocking side trails. The Moses Creek trail, oddly enough, got totally improved and it looks like the clean side of Tray Mountain now! There were so dang many surveyor's markers i thought it was going to become a subdivision or a water park.
Our 'new' friend (one of the old boy's who's lived and hunted all them trails all their lifes) described another cool place called "upper field", which we found and it was awesome. We ran out of time to scout the trails down Canada Road this time, but got a full description from our friend "Wild Bill". He said a good bit of it is 'off limits' now too.

WILD BILL

photobucket pix

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES

#36 ·
The local 'word' is; there's a new sheriff in town, and he aims to clean things up. There are lots of berms blocking side trails. The Moses Creek trail, oddly enough, got totally improved and it looks like the clean side of Tray Mountain now! There were so dang many surveyor's markers i thought it was going to become a subdivision or a water park.
Our 'new' friend (one of the old boy's who's lived and hunted all them trails all their lifes) described another cool place called "upper field", which we found and it was awesome. We ran out of time to scout the trails down Canada Road this time, but got a full description from our friend "Wild Bill". He said a good bit of it is 'off limits' now too.

WILD BILL
Here's more pix:
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/misterzeez/Cullowhee_June_07/
Judging from the pics you posted, you guys only got to the front half of the Caney Fork Trail system. The back side is harder to find but has at least three different entrances and is worth searching for since it has better wheeling than the front side. I could tell you how to get there, but that would take away the fun so pull out some maps and head towards sugary old men and rough butts (yes, those are clues). Enjoy!

#38 ·
Why would anyone want 5 jeeps?

looks like you guys had a good time!!!

#45 ·
Tim, you make us so very curious, what is this ONE picture?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.