TTORA Forum banner

Electric pump w/ mech. pump tank

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  79coyotefrg 
#1 ·
I've got a fuel delivery issue. :(

Currently I have a cheapo low pressure electric pump mounted on the frame rail.

Recently I swapped out my '79 tank (which had the factory e-pump removed) for a '83 tank.

The '83 had the mech. pump on the motor, so the internal parts of the tank are different than the '79 tank.

I've unhooked all my lines, blew them out with a blow gun, and even tested the pump with a jar of gas. Everything is clear, and the pump is working. I can even suck a little gas from the tank pickup, which isn't blocked either.

I'm not getting gas to the carb. When the pump isn't getting liquid (just air), it will "knock", and that's what it's doing now. I can plug the line at the carb, and the pump will quiet down, and build air pressure. :confused:

So, do I have a tank problem, or is the fuel pump going bad? I really don't want to drop the tank (again). :(

#2 ·
sounds like the pump is clogged, or gone bad, i had a e pump i used for transferring gas but it went the way of the DODO

#3 ·
Knowing that your old tank was a little rusty I would assume your old fuel lines were to. Its possible you have a pin hole in a fuel line and the pump is just sucking air, and bypassing the fuel.

#4 ·
Good thought. I pulled the pickup and sender from the tank to clean everything before I installed the tank, and it was very clean (I was surprised).

The weird thing is that I've made two trips to Hot Springs since I've installed this tank. It just recently started doing this. I though it was out of gas, so I put 3 gallons in it, and no luck.

I think I'm going to hunt for a E8153 electric pump and see if that's it. I have no idea how old my current one is, and it's been through a few truck and tank swaps.

#9 ·
Does your Head have the port for the manual pump? I suggest getting a manual pump, and using an electric as a sort of backup, or even use the electric on steep climbs where the carb try to lean out do to the float. The manual will suck gas through the electric, and the electric push through the manual, so no issues there.

#11 ·
i'm 99% sure it wont have the eccentric

if you decide to go that route you'll need a new dist drive gear and the eccentric cause i think the 1/8th inch offset would make the timing off :headscratch:

#12 ·
Josh i have a tank if you need it, it came from the frame that is under my truck now ( 82 shortbed ) $10 or jerk the diff the rest of the way out of this red 4runner
for me

#15 ·
I think I've discovered the problem. The rubber line from the pump to the tank is 3/8" (for the pump fitting) and the outlet on the tank is 1/4". I can't get the clamp tight enough to create the seal needed, and it's sucking air past that.

I'm headed to the parts store to get 6' of 1/4" line, clamps, and new filters. That should do the trick. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.