TTORA Forum banner

Saginaw pump into 3.4L

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  duc 
#1 ·
Figure I would cross post this write up I did from Pirate4x4.
Original Link
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695814

After looking thru some steering pump links I had saved I forgot about a post made out a jeep pump that was almost a direct replacement for the 3.4L. Has anyone else done this mod or have more info on this?

Link to Post number
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=71

"FYI, this pump is almost a direct bolt on for a 3.4L. Just put one on mine and had to drill out one threaded hole on the pump body and put 2 washers at the back of the pump on the pivot bolt. The factory bracket bolts up otherwise and it uses the same size serp belt on the front ribs of the pulley. I pulled mine from an early 90's 2.5L 4cyl Wrangler at the Pick and Pull."

whole thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...64#post8147564

Supposely here is the pulley for a wrangler. Same thru all the years it seems.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

PSC pump kit for 3.4 includes reservoir, pulley, bolts, fittings
$415.00

PSC pump w/o reservoir, pulley, bolts, fittings
$175

Pump from the local U-pull it Complete
$18

reservoir
$9.99

Autocrap
new $70

See less See more
#2 ·
***********Update Part 1************

Picked up a saginaw pump from the junkyard for 20 dollars for pump and reservoir.

here is the common style I saw. This style probely would work but I wanted a seperate reservior. This page shows how the pump looks with the reservior off. Also if you need instructions on how to remove the pulley.

Here is what I found on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 2.5L. The 4wd of the same year had the style with the reservior on it. Couldn't find any other 2wd of this year to see if its just this model Jeep. I forgot to take the picture with the original pulley on it so thats the toyota one on it.

Original 6 grove pulley but the toyota is a 4 grove pulley setup. Looks like this one goes in the trash for another one. The center bore on the pulley measures .660inch and the shaft on the pump is .665. A nice press fit. Remember to use a power steering puller kit while doing this mod.

#3 ·
*************Update 2************

Tacoma setup

Toyota pump spline

Tacoma Pulley. 4 groves. About 4.75 in diameter vs 5.1 in for the jeep pulley

The spline is where we run into a problem but that is cured when you bore the pulley out to the correct size anyways. Toyota bore is .55inches on the smooth part but we need to enlarge the bore to .660 or around there.
Link to Drill bit size chart
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/ima..._Chart_web.jpg

Turns out a 21/32 bit is .6562, not a perfect fit but it is a press fit and its close enough. I did have problems finding this size bit at Lowes and Home depot but Franks supply in town had it. Just look for a shop local that carries items for businesses or order it online. My drill press has alot of slope and other issues but I was able to get the hole drilled for testing purposes. The hole is not in the center so this pulley will not be used and I will just stop by a buddy's machine shop on Saturday to have the other one done up.

Drilled and installed on Saginaw pump. Went on with no troubles and is tight enough of a fit. In the picture you can see the hole is off center and causes a wobble.

If you dont want to deal with buying the 20 dollar bit, PSC does sell the correct pulley for $50. I have been unable to find which car/truck the pulley is from or another place to buy this pulley just yet.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pp2465...rib-p-265.html

On to the jeep pump fitment issues. The hole is two small for the bracket bolt. Just had to drill it out to 13/32 which is a common drill bit size that can be found at Home depot.

Location of spacer needed to fit pump properly and the mount to drill out. I will probably use washer to make it fit right.

Perfect fitment on the bottom. Will need to use nuts and bolts to secure the bottom bracket but no drilling is needed. I was using zip ties just to check fitment.

Just need to reinstall the pulley after I get it done at the machine shop, mount the reservior, get the fitting adapter for the high pressure line and then its done

#4 ·
*****Update 3******
Finished the project but must wait for roommate to come home to use his camera. Mine finally kicked the bucket after 7 years. Completely dead with new batteries.

Two different set of problems depending on which path you take for the pulley. List of problems based on the method.

Tacoma pulley
Turns out a 21/32 bit will not work if used in a lathe. My drill press's old age had enough side play to make the hole the right size. I had a buddy use my 21/32 bit in his lathe but the pulley would not go on easy, actually it wouldnt really go on. I would suggest just seeing how much a machine shop would charge to match the bore of the saginaw pulley to the toyota one. This method would be the easiest path to go down verus the PSC pulley

PSC pulley
Hmm where to start on the problems with this pulley. Overall the pulley is beatiful but caused a major pain in my ass.

Problem one - mounting bolt
The bolt used to mount the pump to the engine is unable to go in. The head of the bolt hits inner rib of the pulley. I was able to get around this by grinding down one side of the head. Just round off the point between two sides of the hex head. The bolt is still to long since your unable to screw the bolt in because of the head. Grinding about 1/4 - 1/2 inch off the end of the bolt fixed the problem. No more issues for the bolt.

Problem two - Belt
Without modifying the lower mount, the original belt was to big. Stock the belt is 42 5/8 long but after a trip to Napa I was able to find a belt that was perfect. A 9/16 x 42 1/8 4 groove belt will fit perfectly.

Napa part number 25-040413 $18

Both of the problems would have never happen with the tacoma pulley since it is about 1/2in+ bigger in diameter.

Pump mounting
The gap left by the pump was filled with washers. I did weld the two washers together then I welded a small bar of metal to them. the bar helped with the installation by getting the washers in the correct placement for bolt insertion.

Reservoir mounting
The reservoir I was able to mount between the spout for the window washer and the radiator. The original bracket legs were cut down in length then welded back together. After drilling two holes for the bracket bolts I just bolted the reservoir in. Easiest part of the project. The reservoir does seem to hold alot more then a stock tacoma res but I dont have numbers or anything to prove it.

Not sure of the performance of the pump just yet. I had the system bleeded and dropped the axle off the jackstand for more testing but forgot I only tacked the draglink clamp to the ram end tabs. Made a cool sound. But the pumped worked at least.

Total spent
$20 - pump and reservoir from junkyard
$50 - PSC pulley
$18 - Napa belt
$25 - 21/32 drill bit Not needed if going the PSC pulley route.
free - scrap metal around the garage
$113 including the screw up stuff

$156 - reusable hydraulic fitting and high pressure hose from PSC
$186 - 1.5 x 6 PSC ram with hardware
$30 - Tube clamp from Ballistic Fabrication Worth the money if your afraid of having to adjust your alignment later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.