TTORA Forum banner

post poning the inevitable - rust - 84 toyota truck q's

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bigbadyoda 
#1 ·
Dodging the inevitable - rust - 84 toyota truck q's

I just recently bought a 84 toyota for my winter project/restoration project. The frame was in actually very good condition for a 28 year old truck. There is just small amount of surface rust in some areas. I'm looking for a good product to coat the frame with to act as an rust inhibitor barrier. I have a pressure sandblaster that I plan to sandblast the entire frame to get rid of surface rust. I will then paint the frame with some sort of rust blocker primer or coating.

I think the most popular is POR 15, but they don't reccoment using on bare metal, a local buddy at paint store reccomends Kem Kromik Primer along with a black top coat I think since I'm sandblasting is down. I don't plan on taking the entire frame down to care metal just roughing up the good parts and removing the surface rust. I think he said laquer, primer, and paint it would be 37$ or something like that. I've not priced POR 15 yet and have no idea how much it would take to do a EX cab toyota truck frame, someone said a quart was plenty to do their frame.

I see more reviews for this stuff on classic cars that never get taken off road and such. Just wondering what products might not be as brittle towards big pieces flaking/chipping of vs more of a rubberized texture.

BTW, Cab and the bed are pulled. Engine will be pulled today as well as gas tank and brake and fule lines rulling along frame.

I'm a clean friek about my trucks & things which is probably the only reason I'm doing this..

POR 15 seems to be the ticket, but the cleaning and pre coat work I'm not sure about. Especially if I'm going to powdercoat...

Quite a few rust threads on here are older and figured there would be some good new stuff out on the market now.

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.