Muffler
timing belt
water pump
crank shaft pulley (7 broken teeth)
spark plugs
spark plug wires
new drive belts

and I am still getting a lag of power at 2500 rpms in second and third gear

Just before I shut the motor off this morning, coming into work. I got a CEL.

I'll check that tonight at the AZ on the way home, but does anyone have any ideas before hand?

To refresh everyone's memory…'97 tacoma 3.4 V6 with supercharger.

My last ditch thought is the supercharger is dying, anyone else thinks that a possibility?

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#37 ·
well if you would stand still and quit running around in circles!

I am tired and don't feel like chasing you! :D

#39 ·
I thought lying on the ground flailing your arms and legs around like a cock roach was.:lmao:

#41 ·
well to take this off topic banter further off topic :mad:

what is the status of the design work? you finished it up yet? and if not why are you wasting time on the boards? :D

#43 ·
Bear the F.P.R is the Fuel Pressure Regulator! I figured a guy with as many post as you do would know what the Fpr is.:D GEEEEEEEEEEEE's

#44 ·
I know what an FPR is, I was just drawing a blank. LOL

How much do you know about superchargers and fuel maps?

The truck is at the dealer and the tech working on the truck has been great ( so far I have been impressed with the customer service I have received from Andy Mohr Toyota), but he doesn't have any experience with the blowers. In fact he said he called the regional service rep and he doesn't have any answers for the tech either.

the long trim is reading right under 30, but the short trim is reading 2.80 or so. and the tech is trying to find some resource that tells him exactly what the reading should be. At this point he just knows the readings are way off.

I have an email out to URD, but I am sure it might take a couple of days IF I get a reply

Also the front o2 has the syn wave that looks almost normal, and the rear o2 syn wave is flat lined with a very rare peak.

So the idea of taking the truck to the dealer for diagnose is paying off, but we just don't know how to interrupt the data.

the Tech's "guess" at this point is a severe vacum leak possibly at the intake gasket, but at $87 an hour I would love to narrow the possibilities down further before starting the wild goose chase.

#45 ·
Are you running a wideband. If so if it goes to running lean then you have a fuel dleiver problem. If its running to rich then you need to retune to urd programmer.

You could take the urd setup off and see if it will change anything. I'm assuming that you are running the 7th injector also. The 7th injector could be flooding out the engine. I dont know how those worked.

When i had Hagan supercharger on mine the bolts backoff the intake and was not boosting good and was running like shit. So you may have a bad intake gasket like the stealership said.

BUt im leaning towards fuel delivery. When the line was kinked! Was it kinked on pick side of the tank or press side to the intake? What im getting at is if it was on the pickup side it could have burnt up the pump. Cause the pump not get good fuel pressure.

But if its not to hard to take off the urd system i would try it. Dont know if any of this will help but i tried. Also you may not want to hear this but you could go over to CT board. Those guys know there stuff on blown motors.

#46 ·
i assuem you have checked your valve covers. i checked my valve cover bolts last week which i've never touched before, they were all loose, ever single of them, just finger tight. i got bit better power after tighten them down. but i couldn't reach down few of the bolts on the driver side. after a little search, seems like it's pretty common amoung the 3.4 motors.

#47 ·
ok, first of all i skipped just about all the post in this thread. you really need to stop guessing and have it diagnosed by a shop. in your area Gasoline Alley Tune Up would be my first suggestion.

you have a high mileage Toyota with a Supercharger witch i have expressed my dislike for in the past. there are ways to fix the problems but you should probably remove the SC first and fix the problem then put it back on and see what happens.

#48 ·
Truck spent last week at the dealership being diagnosed. Results is a major vacuum leak. I just couldn't see spending $87 an hour for them to try and figure out where the leak is at.

Spoke to Gadget and he gave me some suggestions to start looking.

#49 ·
I haven't tightened them lately, so that isn't a bad idea. I just can't see where that might be a source for a vacuum leak.

#51 ·
If you cant find the vacum leaks! i would try to take the urd off!( only if it woould be simple) Also the Fpr works off of the vacum also. If you have one of those lines backward it might be not opening up properly.

Does your boost gauge have a vacum side on it. then goes to the boost side. Mine would run 20 to 25 on the vacum side then give it gas and it would go to 0.

#52 ·
Well I don't have any 7th injector or URD. basically running cooler plugs, thermostat, larger fuel pump and TMC 1.1 no larger injectors no other upgrades.

I am beginning to suspect the fuel pump but without any way of testing pressure, I can't be certain.

the FPR was changed early in the process. but I have not checked my vacuum lines to make sure my friend connected them all back in proper order, but I really can't see him getting them out of whack as I made sure to not disconnect mulitple lines at one time. Plus that does not explain the original problem coming home when it started happening.

My boost gauge does have vacuum and boost. My motor has always idled at -23 psi. Which is still does. the problem does not appear until right at 0 psi.

Gadget and the tech that did the diagnostic both agree it probably is a vacuum leak, but unless I just installed the throttle body gasket in wrong again. It is in place as well as tightened down the supercharger, so unless the intake gasket is ripped to pieces, then I can't figure out where the vacuum leak is at?

I guess it is time to start pulling vaccum lines. but before doing that, I need find my vacuum line diagram.

#53 ·
I know my dads 302 did sucked the intake gasket in and it ran like dudie! I haven't worked with the toyota v6 much! But it could be a possibilty. Im not talking bout the the one were the supercharger goes to the intake but the one the that deliveres the air to the valves. But Idk if that is like that the yotas. But that is were his did that at. And yes his ford is EFi.

I'm running out of ideas to tell ya. But istill believe its fuel delivery but i could be wrong. But Ky_savages 88 did the same thing yours is doing. It idle good and then when you went down the road it would run like shit! He changed out the fuel pump and it ran out fine.

#54 ·
I know my dads 302 did sucked the intake gasket in and it ran like dudie! I haven't worked with the toyota v6 much! But it could be a possibilty. Im not talking bout the the one were the supercharger goes to the intake but the one the that deliveres the air to the valves. But Idk if that is like that the yotas. But that is were his did that at. And yes his ford is EFi.

I'm running out of ideas to tell ya. But istill believe its fuel delivery but i could be wrong. But Ky_savages 88 did the same thing yours is doing. It idle good and then when you went down the road it would run like shit! He changed out the fuel pump and it ran out fine.
Can you please explain to me why you are just telling me about "savages issue" just now? :confused::( Or if you did say something earlier, why didn't I remember? :lmao:

changing out my fuel pump is a lot easier than taking the blower off to change out intake gaskets.

By the way, the gasket I am thinking about is the gasket that goes between the supercharger and the manifold.

#55 ·
I thought i told you ealrier on one of the other threads that you started. If not oops. BUt that is why i kept saying i think its a fuel delivery problem!

#56 ·
Who knows, not important.

but I am going to be mentioning this and the entire thread to Gadget and hopefully this can lead to some success. I have already looked up the price of a new fuel pump.

so I will ask Gadget about the possibilities.

#57 ·
I due know that idle it doesnt need much fuel psi! First gear really doesnt either but as you go on up in the gears the demand for fuel and air getts higher. Your truck is taking in alkinds of air and no fuel. So then your computer starts going haywire. THey had Ky_savage chasing down the same thing as you are. He spent more money then he needed to . But if you didnt go thought this you would have never found the the timing gear gonna bad!

#58 ·
true on the timing gear, it would have eventually shown up, but probably in a catastrophic way!

I already have an email out to Gadget, Hopefully I will get a reply this afternoon from him.

Again I am down to a deadline as we have a run in two weeks and I would like to get the truck on a trail again!

#59 ·
If you suspect a vacuum leak the easiest way to find out is to spray carb cleaner around intake and gakets you suspect are leaking, if you notice a change in the way the engine is idling then you have found your leak.

#60 ·
Yup! we have done that a few times, but nothing has shown up so far. with the tacoma motor compartment and the 3.4, it is not as tight as say a mustang, but it is still tight in there, so I am going to go through the procedure yet again as well as confirm all vacuum lines are in proper place.

#61 ·
Bear keep me updated if gadget may think its the fuel pump also. But it could be possible that the fuel pump is failing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.