TTORA Forum banner

Choose your Wheel Option( if you chose Option 3 or 4 tell us why)

16's or 15's & Why

22K views 66 replies 33 participants last post by  TheosTaco 
#1 ·
My truck came stock with the silver(aluminum?) 16's on it. I recall my brothers older Tacoma had 15'' Mickey Thompsons with some Dunlop Mud Rovers. Is it typical to stick with the same size wheel that originally comes with the truck or do people go a size smaller for any reason?

What would be the reasons, advantages/disadvantages of going from 16's to 15's ?

#49 ·
I've been thinking about going from 16s to 15s mostly because from what I have seen, 15 inch wheels are lighter, and the tires are lighter than comparable sized 16 inch tires. seems like a lighter combo,would be better when increaseing from a stock sized tire.

#51 ·
Ok, so I've decided to go with 15's so I can save money on tires when I have to replace them. That and my tire options open up a bit.

Now I have to figure out if I want 15x8 or 15x10's..... Would the 15x10's not be a good idea?

Theo

#53 ·
Now I have to figure out if I want 15x8 or 15x10's..... Would the 15x10's not be a good idea?
To me I would think 8" wide rims allow you to put on various width tires. Where with 10" rims might limit you.

I've put 9.50, 10.50, 11.50 and 12.50" tires on 8" rims.

Again just my opinion, the narrower the tires you have the less chance you have with them rubbing in the wheel well because they can tuck up in the well, unless you are at full steer.

What kind of wheeling do you plan to do? Wider tires have better floatation in mud and sand, where narrower tires help with traction in the rocks.

#52 ·
i just bought a set of 15x10" pro comps with 4.75 back spacing. im getting the general red letter 35x12.5"s in about a week or two, but with it, even though i hated to buy them was some 1/2" wheel spacers just in case the tires rubbed the uca or frame really bad. i would just have to put the spacers on untill i could get some less back spaced rims being a daily driver. i bought my truck with some bling blingin 18" weld racing chrome wheels an i hate the way they look! and plus the price of tires goes down a mere $125 a tire! so i guess the price of tires and the beefier sidewall is why ive decided to go to 15"s, well 18 to 15"s ;)

#59 ·
Based off this list: ----> http://ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Tire_and_Wheel_Fitment#15.22_Wheels_that_FIT: the 15x8 with 3.3125 Backspacing Mickey Thompson Classic II's should fit. When I called the Mickey Thompson Technical, Applications & Warrenty phone number(330-928-9092 x4) a guy told me that the MT Classic II's wouldn't fit my 04 Tacoma. Now I'm not knowing what to do apart from order one wheel and see if the damn thing fits...and I Don't want to go that route. Does anyone on here know?

I was looking at the 15x8 Black MT Classic II's with 3-5/16 Backspacing

#60 ·
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm

I know that these will fit. The type B's have 4" backspacing and stick out just a tad bit more than the type A's. I went from the stock wheels like you have now to the type B's.

And just for your poll info, I went from the 15" type B to a 17" wheel, because most of the large (larger than 35's) modern radial tires are starting to move away from a 15. I couldn't find a decent 37" tire other than a Super Swamper or a Pit Bull. As long as you don't go to some obscenely large tire size then the 15's should be fine.

#61 ·
Yeah, I know the Wheelers Type B's will fit but they weigh about 30lbs each where as the MT wheels weigh about 17lbs. That and I prefer the way the MT's look.

#62 ·
Quick question about downsizing from 16" factory wheels to Eagle Alloy Series 185 Wheels 15x8 6 on 5.5.

Is it possible that I will run into problems with the UCA coming in contact with the wheel or tire?
I just got off the phone with the tire shop and they said that I may have an issue with that if I go with 15's.

I need to know asap because I'm going to test fit these wheels soon & buy them if they fit.

Theo

#63 ·
I ran 33x12.50 tires on 15x8s with 4" BS and didn't have issues with rubbing the UCA so you should be good to go. It might be close though, a buddy of mine runs 33x12.50x15s with 3.75 BS and it was close enough that he couldn't (or didn't want to) install tire chains.

I went from 16s to 15s specifically because of tire prices.

And pictars I took of why some wheels won't fit.

You can see the scrape along the beveled edge of the caliper where it comes in contact.

So as long as the wheel doesn't have that lip on the back of each window, it should fit.

#64 ·
Right on. I got 5 of the wheels which are 15x8 and have 3.25" Backspacing. Is the backspacing going to be a problem?
The 5th wheel came with a brand new 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2 mounted on it. I have a feeling that I may run into trouble with a tire that big. I thought about just buying 4 more tires that size so I'd have a complete set and then I was read on the forums that many suggest that you regear if you run 33's, they will rub, and so on. I need some solid advice before making a purchase.

Theo

#65 ·
I wouldn't worry about a regear. You'll be fine with 33s. I have a 2.7L and didn't have any problems.
I've been running 1" spacers on the front, mostly so the 33s wouldn't rub the frame at full lock. The wider you go with tires and/or the farther the BS, the more it's gonna rub the pinch weld area.
So running the spacers, 33x12.50 tires, and 4" BS, I was essentially running 3" BS and a little work with a sledge hammer on the pinch weld and I had no rubbing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.