TTORA Forum banner

Want to BORROW - toy axle true bar

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mrdoug 
#1 ·
Does anybody have a true bar setup for a toy axle? I'm 99% sure my front axle is bent, would like a true bar to check it for sure, anybody have one I can borrow?

#2 ·
Don't have a true bar but I have a bare 84 housing I would make you a fair deal on it if you need it?

#5 ·
No worries! Good luck!

#6 ·
I asked the same about over a year ago and got nothing but "you don't need one of those things" comments when I wanted one for welding on my truss. Still haven't gotten around to making one, but I still kind of do. I actually have access to a lathe now, so its more financially doable. There is a dude on Pirate that will sell you the machined parts including the bar, but he wants like $300-400 for the kit.

You are close enough that a trip to Front Range/Diamond axles isn't completely silly. Its really too bad he is in Red Feather though. Thats about as much as I have to offer at the moment though.

#7 ·
That was you!... I remember the subject came up a bit ago, and I remember the " you don't need one" comments. Heck, I might of even made one myself, funny how time/need changes ones opinion.

I can understand how it would cost some coin to buy a precisely machined setup. I probably don't need one, especially a full, exact (expensive) setup with all the pucks, etc, but I can see where it'd be handy to have something to throw thru the axle from time to time for various things.

#8 ·
I think you'll at least need the center "pucks", since the bar would need something to reference. I suspect that unless its majorly bent, even a straight bar won't really show if it is bent less then an inch, or even 2 or 3. If you have any machinist friends, its not all that hard to turn down aluminum or delrin enough to fit inside the bearing mounts for the carrier. For us cheap guys, a nice decent piece of straight DOM would probably be fine if you are just using it for reference. Not sure what the size is, but if you can find something that is about the same size as an axle shaft it will slide through the oil seal and give a decent idea of how far away from straight it is.

If you have a spare 3rd to take the measurements off of, I could see about getting those pucks made. I don't think Delrin costs much, and I am a member at the Club Workshop in Denver and have access to their lathe. I wouldn't feel comfortable charging for my time since I'm certainly not a machinist, so if you don't mind materials cost then I can see what I can do. No promises, but I'll look into it.

Andy (he's "Ace" on Colorado4x4 and Flashboiler on coloradotrailrats.org) made some nice delrin stuff for a Samurai axle, so he might be able to help you out. The carrier stuff is bigger, but his true bar would probably still work. He lives in Longmont, so not that far from you.

#9 ·
yeah, Good point on the pucks in the third for reference points. The more I think about how/what I'd use it for, the more I think a piece of dom might just good enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.