TTORA Forum banner

gear ratio

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
i have 05 tacoma with a 6" lift with 33" tires on twenty inch wheels. it killed my gas mileage. i am thinking about putting a bigger gear ratio on my tacoma. what is the best gear to put on my tacoma with the size tires and wheels i have? i was thinking about 4:56 gears.

#3 ·
Curious, you did add in the differeance of your Speedo and Milage gauge reads now that you have the bigger tires before calculating your MPG? Just wondering cause if you had the 4.0 and 33s... I would think it would still be alright. As long as you dont race it everywhere.

#7 ·
You definately don't want to go with 4.56s from 3.73s with a 2-inch change in tire diameter.

stock.....31/3.73 = 8.31
current...33/3.73 = 8.85
optimal...33/4.10 = 8.05

The lower the quotient is the higher RPMs you'll turn = more power. As you can see 4.10s is going to be the way to go, RPMs will not run too much higher with the larger tires and you'll get your power back.

4.56s would have put you at a much lower number, 7.24. I can't give you any information on the specifics of how much change in RPMs you'll get from different quotients; this is just something I came up with that seems to work okay for matching up gear ratios.

#10 ·
TacomaTRD05 said:
i have 05 tacoma with a 6" lift with 33" tires on twenty inch wheels. it killed my gas mileage. i am thinking about putting a bigger gear ratio on my tacoma. what is the best gear to put on my tacoma with the size tires and wheels i have? i was thinking about 4:56 gears.
when you find someone who makes aftermarket gears for the '05s let everyone know ;)

with the v6 (4x4 or prerunner) you have 3.73s. only the 2.7s got 4.10s.

#11 ·
yea i have a 3:73 gears in my truck! thank u so much for all your help! i will let u know if they make bigger gears for 05's.

#12 ·
TacomaTRD05 said:
yea i have a 3:73 gears in my truck! thank u so much for all your help! i will let u know if they make bigger gears for 05's.
at the moment no one does :(

#14 ·
TacomaTRD05 said:
that really sucks. let me know if u find anything out!
ARB should have the lockers coming out pretty soon but so far no one makes gears....o well.

#18 ·
doctaco03 said:
I have 03 v6 auto 4wd, running 33" tires with 4:10 gears!!! Warning, this combo sucks!!! In and out of overdrive constantly on the hwy!!! Consider 4:56 or 4:88!! Leaning toward 4:88 here the more I learn from other posts!!! Good luck in your search!!
yup, that's why regearing is the best fix. ;)

4.56s if you do only occasional wheeling and 4.88s if you wheel it a lot and don't cruse at 80 on the hwy ;)

4.56s will get you close to stock but a little lower at an "adjusted" ratio of 4.28:1. 4.88s get you to 4.58.
this is why you should stick with 4.56s if you don't wheel much as the slightly lower ratio will compensate for the extra rolling resistance of the larger, heavier tires. 4.88s is overkill for a street truck that only sees fire roads for wheeling but are awesome on the tougher trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.