TTORA Forum banner

gap guards

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  spindleshanks 
#1 ·
Anybody have an idea what to use for gap guards? I'm going to design new ones to cover the space between frame and body in the front wheel wells. The OE units don't fit w/ the 2" body lift. There is a real good writeup on the national board, which is very helpful.
Everybody says to use pond liner...BUT; I've been to Big-R, Murdoch's, Ace Hardware, and Lowes and haven't found anything that will work. The first 3 stops don't even carry pond liner. The pond liner material is incredibly expensive, and far too rigid to use for this application anyway. Basic construction film is available at Lowes in black 2, 4 or 6mil but it isn't sturdy enough. I'm out of ideas.
The material needs to be similar to the OE Material. This means it's got to be somewhat thick, flexible, and durable, and available in sizes at least a few square feet. I'm open to suggestions! Be creative!

#4 ·
haha or try some rv dealers and order some rubber roof material.... alot thinner and it streches. only downfall is one side is white other side is black

#5 ·
I like the material I got. It's perfect except for the color. I'm gonna experiment though, and try some rubberized undercoating. If it adheres to the PVC material, I'm good to go.
The dude on TTORA national board used some little self tapping screws, but I'm just gonna get some new plastic retainer tabs from CARQUEST and secure the new gap guards using the old holes in the body and frame.
If this little project doesn't work, I've at least got a good template to use in the future.

#9 ·
Toyota wants a buck and a half each for those retainers! So I told 'em to forget it, and got a free cup of coffee out of the deal, probably the only free thing I'll ever get from the dealership again. There are better retaining clips at CARQUEST that I'm getting for 10 cents a piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.