TTORA Forum banner

Sugarpine/Cleghorn '14

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Pawn 
#1 ·
This was a great run! By the end, we had 13 rigs in our group! Myself, Tyler, Johnnie, Mike, Chris, Joseph, Leon, Dawson, Chad, Joel, Brandon, Ted and Bob. Sugarpine was a scenic route to Lake Silverwood. It didn't disappoint. I may or may not have misled us up a few turn-arounds but we made it to the end. And Cleghorn is always fun coming from that direction. I'll post more later. I only have video and that'll take a couple weeks to put together. If you have pics, let's see 'em!

#4 ·
Great time, I showed up fashionably late, as usual...
This will most likely be my last run with you all, I wish I could have attended more...
For anyone who hasn't attended a run with this group, I stress that you should at least go for a run and see what it's like...
The limited ones I have done have been great and I have no doubt anyone attending wouldn't do all they could for whatever you may need...
BTW, following that 2014 stock taco 4x4 tackling the trails was prob the highlight of my day, accept maybe, for me bombing down other trails solo (like a dumass) looking for everyone earlier in the day, sending my truck airborn and not breaking anything, well we will figure that out tomorrow when all the mud and dirt come off!!!
THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIMES SO CAL TTORA

#6 ·
The Sugarpine/Cleghorn run was a Great Time. We had a picture perfect day with a good group of trucks ranging from stock to built rock crawlers. It was fun to see how each driver and truck tackled the harder sections of trail.
Sugarpine was rated as moderate and there were a few sections of the trail that had been washed out by rain but a good trail for all of the trucks (2wd-4wd). This trail provided a scenic view of the desert to the north and San Bernadino/Riverside and beyond to the south.

Next was the Cleghorn trail run from the 138 near Silverwood Lake back to I-15 on the west end. Running the trail this direction provided some challenges that most of the group hadn't done before. Here are a few more pictures.

I will post more pictures later.

#11 ·
All 39 of my pics are here- http://www.showstop.org/gallery/sugarpine-mar14

I arrived fashionably late to a fairly large group already assembled at the trail head. Got my rig squared away and prepped for the run then we had a quick drivers meeting and the group started up the trail by 9:30am.

A short way up Sugarpine I spotted my 2014 Christmas tree in healthy condition. (Snow capped Wrightwood in the background)

The views along Sugarpine trail are really nice.

It took us about 2.5hrs to complete Sugarpine and make it all the way to the east end of Cleghorn. Then the fun started. We broke into 2 groups and the locked 4x4 trucks took the bypasses while the 2WD and 4x4 stock trucks stuck to the main trail for about 50% of the time.

Starting on the east side of Cleghorn, the hard stuff begins right away. Here is Bob getting tippy and flexy-

Leon in his LandCruiser was up a few vehicles later-

Then Ted in his SAS Tundra-

The "teams" trucks-

Mike / TacoEng was next in his early 90s SAS pick-up. He took a wide line to the right-

I pulled up the rear-

Leon didn't seem impressed by my wheeling skills.

Several of the next uphill sections tested each driver's skills with the variety of obstacles and terrain.

Further up the hill, we had a few trucks struggle with "the chute". This second was a steep uphill with a large rock step then a diff catcher rock. Dawson was in the front of the group and firmly anchored his rig to said rock. After some effect, he "broke" free of the rock and the group continued.

Here is Bob tackling the same diff catcher rock-

Ted coming up the first rock step-

Most of the downhill section towards I-15 was uneventful. We played around at the power line hill and headed down to pavement to air up around 4:30. We also picked up a camper shell that somebody dumped on the trail.

Thanks to all that came out. We'll look forward to seeing you again in Calico next month!

#12 ·
Thanks to everyone who posted pictures so far. Here are a few more.

Here are a few pictures of a fun climb. Make sure you do a quick right at the top or :eek:

#13 ·
I'll post pictures when I get to my computer some time this week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Thanks for the Great video. We're looking forward to heading back to Cleghorn next weekend. Fun Trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.