TTORA Forum banner

Early Taco owners~check your frames

8K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
I have been meaning to post this topic for about a week now, and it keeps slipping my mind, sorry.

Anyway there is evidentally a toyota authorized TBA on the frames of Tacomas from 95-00 in year model regarding rust particularly in the ice belt regions in the country.

for more information on the subject here is a link from the national board regarding this issue.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1175875#poststop

supposedly the frames are rusting prematurely due to road salt used to de-ice the roads. I have read quite a few post on the thread above where Toyota has actually just bought the truck from the owner instead of trying to repair the damage. and at top retail value and not just a low ball figure.

Within that same thread "Show Stop" included a bulletin that has the vin number tables that are effected within the "concerned" model years.

I have printed it out for the 97 year model for my truck to check for my vin. but I highly doubt I will be effected as my truck spent most of it's life in (let's all say it together) Texas. But this notice is going to be good for 15 years of manufacture date.

This matter is definitely worth 10 minutes under your vehicle inspecting the frame! and if you find excessive rust by all means take it immediately to the dealership.

ON that thread, there are reports where members have actually taken their trucks in for inspection not thinking much about it and drving off the dealership with a new vehicle. Also in many cases (depending on the dealership) within the process of turning over their vehicles they have removed every after market accessory they put on the vehicle without penality ( so as an example, if I find rust on my SAS'ed truck, I would be able to remove every piece of equipment from the axles, tires, stereo, seats or anything else I changed as the owner. so I could put those items into my replacement truck if they would fit.)

See less See more
#3 ·
did you read the thread? I was kinda alarmed having a '97. But if they are doing buy backs without worrying about all the mods, It maybe not such a bad idea…I would be getting rid of those bed dings I have :D

but I really don't see my truck being effected. Just wanted to put it out there for our other members.

#5 ·
you were one of the ones, I specifically thought about with this issue. Since I have never seen your truck up and close, I didn't know what the frame looked like.

I am having a hard time deciding if my truck actually falls within the vin range! I think it does, but then again it may not.

I also got to thinking about how much of a pain it would be to dissemble it if it would fall prey to this buy back.

But I think there was one guy on the national board that did actually remove his solid axle and the dealership still paid him the full 1 1/2 KBB price

#6 ·
So how do i get the frame on that 99 i drove up to indy to rust out quicker, got some surface, but no perferation, any ideas. maybe spray it down once a week in Calcium Cloride?

#7 ·
that would work. I know tooth paste will eleminate rust, but I am not too sure which chemicals promotes it.

you can always put a osolating sprinkler under the truck, might take a while though! ;)

I hve the print out on the vin numbers, but I can't determine if mine is covered. I first thought so, but then on second glance, I second guessed myself, and now I am just not sure!

#9 ·
#10 ·
with any luck Toyota is gonna be buying two from me in short order..........I will then be buying and 01 from my local dealer that has 132000 less miles than my current 97 and I will have a fair amount of cash and all my current aftermarket parts left to start building the new truck

#11 ·
My truck finally goes in on Thursday to have the treatment done and I'll have a loaner vehicle for a day. Anyone up for seeing what a Corolla (or whatever they give me) can do at Interlake? :D

I'm sure my frame is OK, but I'm still praying they don't decide to do the buy back.

#12 ·
you won't have any surprises if you do a quick visual for yourself. You need to look at the area around the spring hanger and just at the point the frame transitions from a boxed section to the c channeling.

Also look at the area around the front crossmember of the front suspension. From what I have been told that is where the frames begin to "dissappear"

#35 ·
Has anyone seen any buy back percentages? I'd like to see some numbers on how many frames are fine vs bad.
it might be buried on the national thread somewhere, but that thread is so long now, I can't even open it!

Besides, "some of us" have more important things to do other than keep up with statistics! ;)
you bring up a good point, It would be interesting to find out what the ratios are between year models.

Joe???? you are normally good at finding out that kind of info/stat
Suddenly now you're interested? I'm sure it's buried on the national board somewhere. :flipoff4:

Just kidding, I'll see if I can find anything this evening.

#14 ·
it might be buried on the national thread somewhere, but that thread is so long now, I can't even open it!

Besides, "some of us" have more important things to do other than keep up with statistics! ;)

#16 ·
Naw! take two years replacing parts that were about to wear out, while avoiding the real issue! :flipoff3:

#19 ·
Picked up the truck today and the frame looks all shiny and clean.

The mechanic actually asked if he could talk to me and said "Uhm... It was really dirty under that truck, above the the skid plate was packed full of dirt. Where have you been driving?" :D

#20 ·
thought you knew to clean every knook and Crany of the truck before taking it to the stealership? Especially for any recall or warranty work! It just gives them one less excuse to deny working on your vehicle on their dime. :D

Glad it passed! now I won't have to hear you whine about loosing your ride!

#22 ·
This was hanging on my mirror when I picked my truck up and I didn't think twice about it since I live in a apartment.

They werent kidding, there are a few huge piles of goop under my truck. I wouldn't enjoy having to clean that stuff off my garage floor! If you still need to get this done you might want to put some newspapers down or something.

#23 ·
I thought I heard that the buy back went back to the 90-91 year model, but I didn't put much stock into that rumor. I guess there was something to it afterall.

#24 ·
another way to clean the stuff "off" your frame would be to go wheeling...I guess your truck is safe! :flipoff1:

#29 ·
I like to hear things like that! I am hoping by the end of the summer I will be able to hit the trails more which will prompt more activity up here as well.

We just have to keep promoting the opportunity for people to get out. Be instigators I guess some would call it. :D

#33 ·
Mine Frame is still solid......14 years in the salt and nothing more than surface rust.

I would like to see some numbers as to which years are the worst for rust. My 97 spent 12 years and 234k in the rust belt and was rock solid, now this 96 I have has spent 14 years and 187k in the rust belt and it is fine.......It seems the 95.5-97's were actually better than the 98-00's. We have had 3 98-00 tacomas come through the used car dept. here at work all with junk frames.......the sad part is all 3 were put on the lot and sold for big money cause nobody bothered to check them out before they bought them:rolleyes:

#34 ·
you bring up a good point, It would be interesting to find out what the ratios are between year models.

Joe???? you are normally good at finding out that kind of info/stat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.