TTORA Forum banner

bilstein 5100 set on 1.75" lift and a coil spacer (actual spacer thickness 1")

21K views 59 replies 15 participants last post by  yellowpasta2000 
#1 ·
bilstein 5100 set on 1.75" lift and a coil spacer (actual spacer thickness 1")

I have a 05 tacoma v6 and going to put on 33's. i bought bilstein 5100 adjustable but their max lift adjustment is 2.5". i want to get at least 3" to fit 33's without rubbing/ minor rubbing

i need more then 2.5" so i bought a 1"(actual spacer thickness) coil spacer.

bilstein 5100 has 3 lift settings.
-2.5"
-1.75"
-0.85"

NOW- i need to kno whats the highest i can lift the front of my tacoma with STOCK UCA's??? and find the right combination. help!

Thanks
Anto

#2 ·
from what ive read, for the stock uca a top load spacer should be no thicker than 1/2in. and even 1/2in should give you around an extra inch of lift i think

#3 ·
Those tires won't fit any different with an extra 0.5 of lift. Just run the Bilsteins at 2.5 and leave the spacer in the garage.

#4 ·
from what i've read, you shouldn't go over 2.75" of lift with stock uca's. but i have no experience so i could be wrong. i think setting the 5100's on 2.5" should be plenty to fit 33's. putting them on the max height and putting a 1" spacer on top would be too much for stock uca's.

#5 ·
I have a 05 tacoma v6 and going to put on 33's. i bought bilstein 5100 adjustable but their max lift adjustment is 2.5". i want to get at least 3" to fit 33's without rubbing/ minor rubbing

-2.5"
-1.75"
-0.85"

NOW- i need to kno whats the highest i can lift the front of my tacoma with STOCK UCA's??? and find the right combination. help!

Thanks
Anto
I have 32" and have my 5100 set on the middle setting...NO RUB!

#7 ·

-2.5"
-1.75"
-0.85"

Thanks
Anto
not gonna work. a 1" thick spacer gives 2" of lift so you will be completely maxing out the up-travel (which is only 4", by the way). The truck will ride like a tank and you'll blow ball joints and CVs before you get around the block.

scratch the spacer, set the Bils to the middle setting and get a 1" Body Lift

#10 ·
the answer is not gonna change, the spacer is bad, that means stop asking if you should use it or not with your billies, like hytenor said, set it in the middle and do a 1 inch body lift

#15 ·
Why the hell would you do some hillbilly crap like stacking a spacer on top of a lift shock so you can get 0.3" more lift that will make absolutely no more tire clearance, yet will reduce your downtravel and increase your CV angle to more than it should be? Everyone is tired of hearing about it.

#17 ·
expect flames from here; the vast majority of members here go more for function, not pure looks ;)

#20 ·
i have my steens on 2.5. had rubbing issues. cut the front plastic off my front bumper and a little on the rear. no rubbing. even at full tuck with the tires locked to both sides...

#29 ·
alot of what size tire you can fit has to do with rim b/s and width...a buddy of mine had a set of 15x8's and a 3" body on a 98 TRD PreRunner and cleared some 35x12.5 a/ts and only rubbed about as much as i do with 3" and 33x12.5's but i have 16x10's with a 3.75 b/s...

#39 ·
A 3" lift acheived by a Preload spacer will ride stiffer but you wont have any problems. A 3" lift provided by just a topspacer, Can cause balljoint failure as well as other problems. The Topspacer moves the whole assembly down, where as a coil spacer extends the actual shock out more.

#40 ·
I've given up trying to explain this to the kid...:rolleyes: I really don't give a shit about testimonies or vids or whatever; he can argue with the laws of physics and geometry all he wants...won't make things change.

#41 ·
It's hopeless dude.... In the big Camburg thread on spacers there were a few tards arguing with Jerry Zaiden about it.... He races REAL race trucks in bigtime races, and designs some of the best suspension around, and they still wouldn't listen. I'm ready to quit posting in these threads and let them destroy all their joints, all the while having crappy handling and suspension performance. All in the name of squeezing an extra inch of tire in there to crawl the mall with.

#42 ·
I know. there are a chosen few on this board...and others...that seem to think they know it all despite the facts. o well...we move on. ;) I will continue to dispute them and post the truth in hopes that some noob looking for answers will not make the same mistake.

#46 ·
What advantage do you feel you are gaining by having that additional lift? maybe you'll have an issue, maybe you wont, but even if you don't have an issue from the spacer, what gains are you receiving by using it?

#48 ·
um lift 2 fit bigger tires.

Just do the spacer man. You're ride quality and handling will go in the toilet, and you're ball joints MIGHT get torn up. Sounds like win/win to me!!
already have them installed 4 about a week now, actually handles much better over stock in offroad with the bilsteins n spacer. n its temporary until i get LT so nothin 2 get upset about!

#47 ·
Just do the spacer man. You're ride quality and handling will go in the toilet, and you're ball joints MIGHT get torn up. Sounds like win/win to me!!

#49 ·
With the stacking of both the Bilstein pre load struts and the spacer you have basically taken every bit of down travel out of your suspension at ride height. Not to mention if you are using your truck off road the factory ball joints are beyond maxed out! Think about it, you have taken the stock suspension and added 1" of overall length to the shock- unlike the Bilsteins that add pre load height, so now you are over extending the suspension 1" at full droop. The factory ball joints will surely fail due to over extension of the suspension-especially if you get the tires off the ground, there are no upper control arm stops to limit the down travel.

#51 ·
as stated before, you will kill your bj's eventually depeding on how you drive your truck...but you can make an easy fix and keep your height and ride quality....just set the bilsteins to 2.5in of lift, then put only a .5in spacer on top instead...i wouldn't suggest a top plate spacer at all, but at .5in it will be alot easier on your front end compared to a 1in spacer.

#58 ·
ya know, this guy's bull shit is getting so deep we're all gonna need bigger shovels.

#60 ·
u can come down n get a ride in my truck if ud like n check out the BOUNCY BOUNCY 4 urself, n dont 4get to bring ur shovel cuz ur gona need it to smack urself upside the head! im j/k but seriously its a huge improvement over stock... Y WOULDENT IT??? whats ur negativity???

well if you ever wanted to do my idea, all you would have to do it cut your 1" spacer in half (long way of course lol) and set your shocks to 2.5". i did it before i bought my ome coils, except mine were on the stock shocks. i put half on top and modified the lower half to act as a pre-load spacer...which you wouldn't have to do because your shocks adjust lol
yeaa that sounds good but idk if ima do all that ill just wait 4 my lt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.