TTORA Forum banner

Rear end problems!!

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
:eek:
i went to my mechanic about a squeal i had in my rear end...( i posted it as "Squeak!!!" earlier this week. I talked to him and he believes its my rear end.... most likley my gears. How much total am i looking to replace my 4:10 gears if that is what it is? also, i have been wanting to upgrade to 4:56 for a long time now and i was wondering about how much it would cost to get 2 master install kits and 2 gears (front and rear) also who is the best (price and quality) thanks

#2 ·
Go w/presicion gears for sure imo. I got 4.88's and rear master and front standard install kits and it all totalled 640.00 bucks.

#4 ·
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
i went to my mechanic about a squeal i had in my rear end...( i posted it as "Squeak!!!" earlier this week. I talked to him and he believes its my rear end.... most likley my gears. How much total am i looking to replace my 4:10 gears if that is what it is? also, i have been wanting to upgrade to 4:56 for a long time now and i was wondering about how much it would cost to get 2 master install kits and 2 gears (front and rear) also who is the best (price and quality) thanks
wonder if it could be the carrier bearings

#6 ·
Yeah gears would just grind and it'd be obvious if you had a gear problem if you drained your fluid and there was metal in it. But yeah my 640 quote was for front and rear ring/pinons, rear master install kit and front standard kit.

#8 ·
Ditto what others said. Probably a bearing and not the gears. If you have 4:10 gears, you can only get new gears from Toyota for about $400 per set. The smallest aftermarket gears start at 4.56.

If the squeal is coming from the rear differential, I'm putting my money on bad front pinion bearing.

#12 ·
All of the bearings come in a master install kit. But you would do well to find a good rearend shop instead of taking it to the dealer. About all most dealers will do is swap out the entire center section. Dealers just don't do much in the way of wrenching other than to change easy parts and entire assemblies these days. They don't care because it is either your money or Toyotas money, never theirs and if they did do any real wrenching, it would expose them to warranty work where they would most likely loose money. The overall lack of good mechanics along with an increase in the technical complexity of vehicles these days are also contributing factors.

#16 ·
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
thanks
how much do they run for and where can i get them
carrier bearings run about $30 each (there are two)
Rear Carrier Bearing 90366-51001

if ithe others say its pinion related
Pinion Bearing 1 90366-40068
Pinion Bearing 2 90366-34007

#17 ·
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
you say theres a squeak, well my truck squeaks but my truck does it when i slow down or just let of the accelerator, and it sounds like it comes from the rear, it sounds like a real fast scratching and it comes and goes, weird sound, tell me what you find out.

#19 ·
Well i took it to the mechanic... and strangely enough i broke some type of internal spring in my drive shaft... i found that hard to believe... but thats wat happened...nothin to serious to worry about. He told me to either buy a new drive shaft or just put up with the noise... well u can probably figure out what i did :D

#20 ·
absolut taco said:
I would have gone to the doctor. IN A HURRY!
yea, another case of "hide the hamster"...but I thought that was a socal thing :p

#21 ·
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
Well i took it to the mechanic... and strangely enough i broke some type of internal spring in my drive shaft... i found that hard to believe... but thats wat happened...nothin to serious to worry about. He told me to either buy a new drive shaft or just put up with the noise... well u can probably figure out what i did :D
Uh, there aren't any "internal springs" in the driveshaft.

#22 ·
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
Well i took it to the mechanic... and strangely enough i broke some type of internal spring in my drive shaft..... well u can probably figure out what i did :D
I hope you found a new mechanic

#23 ·
grillmasterp said:
I hope you found a new mechanic
aren't those springs connected to the muffler bearings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.