TTORA Forum banner

Want to up grade.

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  thenexus 
#1 ·
So on my 4runner Im looking at either locking the rear diff or a set of bud built skids before moab. Looking at lockright or Detroit dont really want to break the bank on an elocker or ARB. Anyone have any experience with either with on road driving and what not. This is the first 4x4 I have wheeled without an elocker so I dont know what moab will be like with out one. Im taking both my sways off once I get out there and I have a winch. Just want to get some input.

#3 ·
I was just thinking locker because I flexed up on a boulder last week it was hard to get over when on 3 wheels due to power loss with an auto and bigger tires. I think the sway bars off will keep tires on the ground. I agree I want skids I just want some input. Thanks!

#8 ·
Lockers will take you all the places skids are needed. I went lockers,lift tires on my first build.... After the cab and bed swap I went with armor lol

#10 ·
If you do decide to go with a locker, I've been happy with my Detroit. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? I've had good luck being able to coast through corners or go light on the gas to avoid chirping tires around town, but I don't know if that works as well with an auto.

#12 ·
I say get the locker first. Just pick good lines and keep the tires on the rocks. As for the sway bar, lose the front but I recommend keeping the rear. I have seen drive shafts lose weights because of hitting the gas tank. There are some tippy spots that keeping the rear will help with also.:2cents:

#13 ·
I'd suggest the other option.. sliders, then locker later. My thinking is driving with no locker will make you pay attention to the line you're taking. This pays off big time the more you build your truck.

The sliders will help keep the damage down while you're working thru the learning curve :D

that's my :2cents:

I've never driven an auto-locker behind a auto tranny. I have a lock-rite in my 85, it's manual and learning when to give it some gas and when to let it coast took me a bit (I'm kind of a slow learner tho)... figuring it out with an auto shouldn't be that bad.

#14 ·
Ok here is my mod list as my 4 runner sits. It is almost done really all I need is locker re geared skids and rear bumper.
Ok so I sold my 2007 Tacoma to a friend. I had a 92 toyota pick up that I just sold. I recently purchased a 2000 4runner limited. I dont really have much to do to it so here is the mod list that I know of. Im still finding things out about it.

OME springs and shocks 883 front and 892 rear.
Toytec 1'' body lift.
Rodger brown diff drop.
ARB front bumper.
Hella 3000 lights.
ISR Deckplate mod with K&N filter.
Diff breather mod.
Scion radio with ipod hook up, Phoneix gold speakers.
CB radio.
addicted offroad sliders.
1st gen roll bar.
Optima red top.
285/75/16 tread right MTR's.
Smitty built xrc 8000.

I'm thinking skids then locker. I think I'll re gear when I do locker. I have my winch to pull me through the things I need help with.

#15 ·
Before this I had an elocked 07 tacoma trd with about all the same stuff that is done to my 4runner. I wheel just about every weekend when I'm off so learning my rig is not really an issue. Im just having trouble spending my money to finish it in the best way possible.

#18 ·
I say go with the skids and do gears and the locker at the same time later down the road

#19 ·
^^^ I agree with Dot. I just went through the same decisions with my 02 Taco. I need to fix the rear elocker and install a front locker, but instead I went with a full set of skids from Skid Row. I am going to get some sliders and winch yet this year, then next year I will go with the lockers and maybe a regear. I personally think the armor is more important than lockers when playing in the rocks!
My $0.02!

#20 ·
I'm going locker. I have some protection. I'm going locker gears 35's and skids will be in there at some point. I just flipped my runner over the weekend so I'm taking it in to some paint and windshield tomorrow. Already have new doors on it. I've decided open open sucks for me : \

#25 ·
Getting paint done is expensive. Only real cheap way is to do it yourself. I know vwfastg60 knows a few people who paint but don't know if they would be any cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.