TTORA Forum banner

Heatshield Rattle

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Tacoma Jake 
#1 ·
Well I have been hearing this noise since about 5k miles on the truck and now its to 31k and seems to keep getting worse. I have taken it to the dealer 2 times now for this noise. First time they told me they couldn't hear it, and now this time they said they heard it but there is nothing they can do and it is just a normal noise for the truck, which I think is BS. Does anyone else with a Reg. Cab 4wd with a 2.7 and a 5-speed have this rattle or is the dealer feeding me crap? If it is a significant problem in all of these trucks what is something I could do to fix it besides taking them all off? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
How do you know it's a heat shield? Were you able to pin-point it to a specific spot?

#3 ·
crawl under and wiggle them around one by one untill you find the one(or more) that is rattling

i had a few of them, 1 was broken in half(removed it) and the others i just screwed in some self tapping sheetmetal screws, no more rattles(at least from the heat sheilds :doh: )

#5 ·
Spent a total of an hour and a half on my buddies truck (04 V6 TRD auto) on the same problem only to find a peanut sized pebble had wedged itself into the O2 sensor heat shield and was the cause of the rattling.

It rattled at idle when he'd be stopped at lights or going through the drivethrough. And only then. He was pissed cause he's got a nice bone stock rig he takes care of (although I think he should wheel it) and it was embarassing to him to have it rattle. All because of a pebble. I bout fell over when I found it. I gave him shit because besides the 90 mins we spent on it he had spent more time by himself trying to locate and fix the rattle.

#6 ·
I've had the same problem on my '98 V6. It is the shield on the manifold running from drivers to passenger side. It is real annoying. I've always just got a huge screwdriver and wedged it around. Would usually do the trick for a while but I can't seem to get rid of it now. I need to pull the manifolds off and get rid of the junk in question.

#7 ·
SashimiTaco said:
I've had the same problem on my '98 V6. It is the shield on the manifold running from drivers to passenger side. It is real annoying. I've always just got a huge screwdriver and wedged it around. Would usually do the trick for a while but I can't seem to get rid of it now. I need to pull the manifolds off and get rid of the junk in question.

I had the same problem in the same spot, I just put a hose clamp on it and the rattle has been gone for 4 years now...

#10 ·
I had one that was cracked around one of the bolts. I removed the bolt, installed a large washer then refastened it, effectively sandwiching the SOB in there. I tried JB Weld prior to that but the heat was too much and it cracked.

Hope that helps,

Beave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.