TTORA Forum banner

bad noise under acceleration

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kyota 
#1 ·
i have a noise under my truck when accelerating. it starts at 5 miles per hour and speeds up as i do. it sounds like when you used to put a baseball card in your bikes spokes. it doesn't do it in reverse. or when i rev the engine in park or neurtal. ony under load in drive and it stops as soon as i take my foot off the gas. what is the solution. thanks guys.

#2 ·
I have the same sound...I think. My truck is a manual and the sound is usually right after I shift in the higher gears when the truck is around 2000RPM's it makes that sound until it gets around 2500RPM's. I've tried different gas, have changed the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, and still have it. I'm about to the point where I'm going to take it apart and check the valve clearances.

I have no noise at idle, and when maintaining speed at any RPM but at certain RPM's under load it will make the noise you are describing, its pretty faint but I notice it.

Bump for you.

#3 ·
the sound speeds up as you accelerate? I would check driveshaft and rear axle...in fact worse case that sound can be a symptom of a grenading differential. I would drain your rear diff oil and check for metal chunks, and also inspect your u-joints and carrier bearing on the driveshaft.

#4 ·
No its not a drivetrain issue with mine at least, its coming from the engine.

#6 ·
I have the same thing in my 2000. I dont think its a big deal, sounds almost like a little vibration against the cab.

#7 ·
The sound happens at around the same RPM's as mine? Just wondering.

#8 ·
This sounds just like a u-joint. Crawl under and rotate the diveshaft by hand with the trans in neutral and the parking brake on. If there is any play in the shaft at the u-joint you need a new one. The rear is the most common.

I have the same sound...I think. My truck is a manual and the sound is usually right after I shift in the higher gears when the truck is around 2000RPM's it makes that sound until it gets around 2500RPM's. I've tried different gas, have changed the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, and still have it. I'm about to the point where I'm going to take it apart and check the valve clearances.
Thats a completely different problem which requires a new thread. Don't derail this guys thread with your issues. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.