TTORA Forum banner

Cold Weather Issues...

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
Can't seem to locate the block heater cord on my '03 V6 Taco. Its the first time i've needed it since I bought it and never bothered to look for it when it was warmer out. Any thoughts as to the best place to look for it? Its damn cold out and I just got in from tryin to find it!

#4 ·
right now i think i have 10w 30 in mine...I had my oil changed in the warmer part of the fall. I was considering going with 5w30....here in calgary it warms up to above freezing periodically every few days or so in the winter. I wonder if the 0w50 would be bad if it warmed up?

#5 ·
NewfieTaco said:
right now i think i have 10w 30 in mine...I had my oil changed in the warmer part of the fall. I was considering going with 5w30....here in calgary it warms up to above freezing periodically every few days or so in the winter. I wonder if the 0w50 would be bad if it warmed up?
I dont think they have a 0W50 and even it they did i would be too thick at opperating temps. 0W30 is the best for extream cold starts, heck even in texas im currently running Amsoil Series 2000 which is a 0W30.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Calgary winter. Minus 29 this morning on the way to work plus whatever the wind brings it to. Either way, it's cold.

Check near the battery and tucked in around the radiator. That's where mine was run up to. Did you buy the truck in Alberta? If not, you may not have a block heater.

#8 ·
I have 5w30 in mine, poked around all over the place last night with like 4 layers of clothes on, rolling around in the snow with a flashlight. Couldn't find any 110v cords or anything so now I get to start phoning the autowreckers!

Yeah, weather is supposed to come up to -5 degrees on Thursday so hopefully I can find a block heater somewhere and put it in on the weekend.

Thanks for the replies, if I can get any pics or info pertaining to this i'll try to remember to post em up, probably be helpful next winter when some meathead buys a truck without a block heater(i'm pretty sure it was imported from the US at this point, gonna check the VIN tomorrow and see).

#9 ·
NotDickFoster said:
Can't seem to locate the block heater cord on my '03 V6 Taco. Its the first time i've needed it since I bought it and never bothered to look for it when it was warmer out. Any thoughts as to the best place to look for it? Its damn cold out and I just got in from tryin to find it!

I bought mine in MN and they only offered an after market type block heater. But after a couple of months last year of -10 to -30 it started just fine with out it, make sure your battery is up to snuff. Second on the AMSOIL 0w30.

#10 ·
You can tell where it was originally sold by the speedo. If it has miles on the outside it's US. KM on the outside means Canadian (and the rest of the world).

If you want a warm place to check it out I'm around from 8-9PM tonight with a heated garage. ....Steve

#11 ·
Damn, if only block heaters were easier to install...

I'd like one for my truck. Not that it gets super cold here (lowest is probably mid 30's in the morning) but I'll spend less time warming up the truck, and save gas. After all, the most gas is wasted just warming up the truck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.